• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

GED vs. Traditional Education

I think

• The GED gives a false sense of being educated.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please specify in the comments section.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sportster

Aged to Perfection
V.I.P Member
In school they kept trying to force me to "learn their way." Back then they didn't know about AS or a Non Verbal Learning Disorder, so they kept saying, "He won't apply himself." Over the years I have taught myself how to learn and have managed to gain higher education. No, it's not Harvard, Oxford, or Dallas Theological Seminary, but I have completed the requirements, learned, and earned the degrees.

Since there is greater understanding about AS, NVLD, etc., I believe that education should be tailored for those with such challenges so they can truly learn skills and not merely learn how to pass a test. Looking back, I would have benefited from such a program than through the way I did it.

Some people could have actually gotten an actual education, but missed out on getting a diploma.

This happened to me; I was homeschooled, and there was a way for a homeschooled kid to get a highschool diploma, and to be officially a high school graduate, but my parents were really disorganized and never got that done. And I was just an Aspie teenager and had no idea that it needed to be done.

My thoughts on education are a little different than most will agree with. I wasn't challenged enough during my time spent in school and spent additional time learning things outside of academia's requirements. My education will never end,I try to learn something new every day. The GED is a way to satisfy the requirements for a job that prove that you have some education with a formal diploma. What they teach in a school setting is basically the way to study to further your education,not a mile marker that you have finally arrived at the final destination. Those who choose to not further their education are the ones at the greatest loss here.

Education happens beyond the ongoings in a classroom. The best education someone gets is when they seek it for themselves. I gained absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever in high school. I learned to be bitter, to expect to fight, and that people can have ulterior motived. I wish I had taken the GED. I got a more valuable education in college and teaching myself computer operating systems and networking on my own.

School is hypocritical they say dont divide people but they have advanced classes and standard classes they treat advanced people live their Einstein it just shows how utterly useless intellectual they have they dont realize that the advanced classes the people are smart not creative not genuis they learn from others instead of learning for themselves So they put me in standard classes because im disorganized and cant turn in work so therefore there theory is that I have a brain of a rock when in reality I have a class ified as gifted IQ the school system is pretty much set up to fail people like us.Does anybody got advice for me because I really need it.

I have a GED, for me going the GED route was the best route for me. Going the GED route allowed me to work full time, Finnish high school 1.5 years early, and still receive a decent education. I'm happy with my decision to earn my GED, I'm now enrolled in community colleague taking class in automotive design and also working on my ASE certifications.

I have a GED, for me going the GED route was the best route for me. Going the GED route allowed me to work full time, Finnish high school 1.5 years early, and still receive a decent education. I'm happy with my decision to earn my GED, I'm now enrolled in community colleague taking class in automotive design and also working on my ASE certifications.
If I could do things over, I would've done exactly what you're doing. High school did more psychological damage than any learning. Good for you for knowing what you want and not bending to society's expectations of going a "normal route."

I forgot about the teachers getting in on the bullying. They're a bunch of sociopathic, evil bastards. Honestly, I wish I had had online school available. When I was in high school, AOL was the closest thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom