• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Furries

Considering the types of characters I created as a kid and the sorts of shows (mostly animated) and video games I still love today, it would be very fair to say I like furries. I would list some examples I like, but I'd be here all day! Here's at least one: Sonic the Hedgehog.

Hate to say it but I am one. I discovered the phenomenon through my own imagination long before I even knew what it was or that it existed. That's not something that I share with just anybody though and it's not a core obsession of mine. Just something I realized about myself when I found out about it. It's one of those 'geek' interests that aspies are more likely to be drawn to and I'm not surprised at all at the responses in this thread.

I'd go as far as to say that I'd attend a convention as one just for fun, provided I can hide my face like most of them do or at least make myself very vague looking and hard to pick out from a crowd.
Your username/avatar combination messes with my head. WildCat... Hyena avatar... :p

No reason to feel bad about identifying yourself a as a furry - I can see that society stigmatizes it as some kind of weird fetish but society is wrong about a lot of things and that's one of them. There is that side to it, for sure, and nobody's denying that - but it's the people who shun furries because "It's a creepy fetish" who are so completely obsessed with that side of the furry fandom that they can't see the bigger picture. I'm not a furry but - I get it. I think I could quite happily attend a convention in a fursuit that conceals my identity and be a little bit more comfortable as a person in doing so, but outside of conventions and things, it would draw attention that I'm trying to avoid, so that's why I don't do it.

But, yeah, I do kinda like some 'furry' stuff, you know - video games, cartoons, movies, that are presented in such a way... Maybe that means I am a furry? I don't know. Or care much about such labels. I just like stuff that I like but I don't consider the things I like to be an integral part of my identity.

Me too, a Dalmatian Dog. I went wth collar, chain, and big pink rubber dog bone. This was all through the 1990s. I loved it! Though not into the cartoon stuff. I like realistic animal personas.

I've been drawing anthropomorphic animal characters way back when I was a kid who loved Disney and Warner Bros. cartoons, and furry was still an adjective instead of a noun, and there wasn't so much negativity and stigma. Now I practically fear for my life whenever I show a fondness for such characters in public except here and Wrong Planet. One time someone called me "an autistic furry tranny" on YouTube which upset and embarrassed me so terribly I changed my name and avatar even after telling them I really am female, pointing out that their own username was like that of an animal, and then blocking them. And I never really got over it.:cry:

Last edited:
I've been drawing anthropomorphic animal characters way back when I was a kid who loved Disney and Warner Bros. cartoons, and furry was still an adjective instead of a noun, and there wasn't so much negativity and stigma. Now I practically fear for my life whenever I show a fondness for such characters in public except here and Wrong Planet. One time someone called me "an autistic furry tranny" on YouTube which upset and embarrassed me so terribly I changed my name and avatar ever after telling them I really am female, pointing out that their own username was like that of an animal, and then blocking them. And I never really got over it.:cry:

I am called “sir” in public frequently. I look and dress very androgynous. It doesn’t bother me. At all. Yesterday, a customer at work apologized profusely, and I kept repeating that it was ok! I know I look androgynous, and I am PROUD of that. Then we just got on with me showing her where the items were that she wanted to purchase. No biggie.

It’s even less worrisome online...cuz people would not know you, or impact your life in ANY way. So don’t Take these things so seriously. If you are young in your teens though, I could understand how much social media is to you.

^ I don't really look all that androgynous. And they didn't know what I look like anyway, because I've never shown videos or photos of myself on YouTube. I have no plans to show my real face on YouTube.

^ I don't really look all that androgynous. And they didn't know what I look like anyway, because I've never shown videos or photos of myself on YouTube. I have no plans to show my real face on YouTube.

So why did it bother you so much if it’s online? Just curious.

New Threads

Top Bottom