• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite Quotes

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

- Bob Marley

"Faith that's impervious to reason is not a virtue. It's a blueprint for just about every human abuse, subtle or extreme; and those who discourage reasoning, who encourage unquestioning faith are the ones who open the door to that abuse."

- TheraminTrees

How-to-find-your-passion-in-life.jpg

"I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom, we too, should have rights." Dr. Seuss

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy."
- Douglas Adams
Ok, I'll try to stop … after this one, on democracy:

"'It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see...'

'You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?'

'No', said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, 'nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.'

'Odd', said Arthur, 'I thought you said it was a democracy.'

'I did', said Ford. 'It is.'

'So', said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, 'why don't people get rid of the lizards?'

'It honestly doesn't occur to them', said Ford. 'They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.'

'You mean they actually vote for the lizards?'

'Oh yes', said Ford with a shrug, 'of course.'

'But', said Arthur, going for the big one again, 'why?'

'Because if they didn't vote for a lizard', said Ford, 'the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?'

'What?'

'I said', said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, 'have you got any gin?'

'I'll look. Tell me about the lizards.'

Ford shrugged again. 'Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them', he said. 'They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it.'

'But that's terrible', said Arthur.

'Listen, bud', said Ford, 'if I had one Altairian dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say "That's terrible" I wouldn't be sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.'"
- Douglas Adams
What book is that? It looks very well written.

What book is that? It looks very well written.
The answer of course is 42!
But if you don't understand the answer, you might be asking the wrong question. I suggest you read "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". If the quotes aren't from here, they are at least from one of the others in the series.
The first in the series is the best. They were very popular in the early 80's.

Last edited:
(Most of my favourite quotes come from either Winston Churchill, Musicals, or Opera.)

From the G&S operetta The Mikado:

“I'm really very sorry for you all, but it's an unjust world, and virtue is triumphant only in theatrical performances.” -The Mikado

"As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list--I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed--who never would be missed!
There's the pestilential nuisances who write for autographs--
All people who have flabby hands and irritating laughs--
They'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be missed!" -Koko, the pacifist tailor turned executioner

"I am, in point of fact, a particularly haughty and exclusive person, of pre-Adamite ancestral descent. You will understand this when I tell you that I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic globule." -Pooh Bah

From The Phantom of the Opera:

" Lead me, save me from my solitude. " -Erik the Opera Ghost

"You alone can make my song take flight. Help me make the music of the night." -Erik the Opera Ghost

"Farewell, my fallen idol and false friend
We had such hopes, and now those hopes are shattered!" Christine Daee

From Wicked, the musical and book:

"I hope you're proud how you would grovel in submission to feed your own ambition!" -Elphaba (Musical)

"Life is painless .... for the Brainless- Life is fraught-less .... for the thoughtless- those who don't try ..... seldom look foolish!" Musical

"We have to think of heads of state or especially great communicators- did they have brains or knowledge? Don't make me laugh! they were popular! Please! It's all about pop-u-lar, it's not about aptitude, it's the way you're viewed, so it's very shrewd to be.. very very pop-u-lar like.. me!" Glinda (musical)

"I'm through accepting limits
'cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost!" - Elphaba (Musical)

“People who claim that they're evil are usually no worse than the rest of us... It's people who claim that they're good that you have to be wary of.” -Elphaba (book)

“Where I'm from, we believe in all sorts of things that aren't true... we call it history.” - The Wizard (book and musical)

“I never use the words HUMANIST or HUMANITARIAN, as it seems to me that to be human is to be capable of the most heinous crimes in nature.” -Elphaba, (Book)

Last edited:
The answer of course is 42!
But if you don't understand the answer, you might be asking the wrong question. I suggest you read "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". If the quotes aren't from here, they are at least from one of the others in the series.
The first in the series is the best. They were very popular in the early 80's.
I have read the books since reading your comment- Thanks! it was a great series!

Too lazy to check if I've posted this already:

"I'd rather have a bottle in front o' me than a frontal lobotomy." --Tom Waits

“I am quite sure I am more afraid of people who are themselves terrified of the devil than I am of the devil himself.” — Theresa of Avila

I assert that the sole precluding requirement for that relationship of belonging we call “native” is the individual’s deepest experiencing of place, their giving back to place, and promising themselves to place. This relationship I call home, like any relationship, is a reciprocal sharing requiring the involvement and approval of both the person and the place. To put it most simply, being “native”–”belonging”–means both gifting to and being accepted by the spirits of the land. Such acceptance requires attention and time, but it is ours to find. -- Jesse Wolf Hardin

My favourite quote ever.

Lying in bed would be an altogether perfect and supreme experience if only one had a colored pencil long enough to draw on the ceiling.
- GK Chesterton

Too lazy to check if I've posted this already:

"I'd rather have a bottle in front o' me than a frontal lobotomy." --Tom Waits
That's Tom Waits, all right.
Tom Waits quoting Dorothy Parker or Fred Allen.
Sometimes W. C. Fields said it. Maybe.
It's one of those snappy sayings that
gets around.

"It is harmful to walk on this road with fear.
It is very important for you to know
that you are on the right road.
"

St Teresa of Avila

New Threads

Top Bottom