• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite Quotes

Sev

I just thought I might make a thread so that everyone can share some of their favorite quotes they stumble upon in the wonderful world of literature.

One of my favorite quotes is taken from the book "Erebos" and is authored by Ursula Poznanski.

"With every day that passes my reality becomes less valuable. It's loud, disordered, unpredictable and arduous. Reality, what can it do? Make you hungry, thirsty, dissatisfied. It causes pain, strikes you down with disease, obeys laughable laws. But above all it is finite. It always leads to death. It is other things that count, that are powerful: ideas, passions, even madness. Everything that elevates itself above reason. I withdraw my consent from reality. I deny it my assistance. I dedicate myself to the temptations of escapism, and throw myself wholeheartedly into the endlessness of unreality."

“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.”

― Frank Zappa, 1979

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
- Rorschach (Watchmen)

Though I guess it's slightly misquoted from the graphic novel to the movie. Or perhaps I just misquoted it, lol.

"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want to learn, go to the library."
--another from the inimitable Zappa :)

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." – Albert Einstein

"Life is like a cup of tea. It's all in how you make it."

I'll tell you what classical music is, for those of you who don't know. Classical music is this music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago. And it's formula music, the same as top forty music is formula music. In order to have a piece be classical, it has to conform to academic standards that were the current norms of that day and age ... I think that people are entitled to be amused, and entertained. If they see deviations from this classical norm, it's probably good for their mental health.
-Frank Zappa
Could probably have a whole category for FZ quotes! :)

"If you believe that, then there's a village out there, missing it's idiot "

Courtesy of Dr Phil

One of my favorites:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

"I want to be with those who know secret things... or else, alone."

Rainier Maria Rilke, paraphrased

And another.

"Be gassy if thou must, yet may thine farts be noble."

Me :D

Terry Pratchett has so many great ones I can't decide on a favorite. He is an awesome author and on my "if you could have lunch with anyone who would it be?" list.

I'll tell you what classical music is, for those of you who don't know. Classical music is this music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago. And it's formula music, the same as top forty music is formula music. In order to have a piece be classical, it has to conform to academic standards that were the current norms of that day and age ... I think that people are entitled to be amused, and entertained. If they see deviations from this classical norm, it's probably good for their mental health.
-Frank Zappa
Could probably have a whole category for FZ quotes! :)
I don't completely agree with that sentiment, but I have to applaud him on making Ravel's "Boléro" listenable. :D

"Grief is wasted on the very roasted." --Catherynne Valente, from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (no, it doesn't really make sense in context, either.)

I don't completely agree with that sentiment, but I have to applaud him on making Ravel's "Boléro" listenable. :D
Yup, Frank was actually a serious musician, he almost always performed with some of the greatest musicians around and was quite the perfectionist, while also being able to go off on a tangent and improvise with fantastic results. He knew the rules but still was able to break free from them and created his own path. He was also a great guitarist in his own right. He was so diverse, someone created this flowchart to help appreciate his music.

Attachments

• 1397002741608.jpg
    1397002741608.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 88
"You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there" - George Burns

"Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan

Since we're on the Internet:

You know, I often get messages after I post a "crazy of the day" telling me that these people are "just trolls" or that I shouldn't let them get to me because they're just FAKING being crazy to make me angry/upset me.

Somehow, that's not a comfort. What's stranger, being crazy and abusive or "faking" being crazy and abusive for a reaction? Either way, it's still abuse. If it's designed for the specific purpose of upsetting someone it seems worse, not better.

"Trolling" is just being an asshole for the fun of it. Saying "oh they're just trolling" is justifying or excusing behaviour that's still not ok.
- Elise Andrew (of "I F***ing Love Science fame)
Elise Andrew - You know, I often get messages after I post... | Facebook

Can't remember where I saw this one, but I love it!

"There are two secrets for success...

1) Never Tell everything you know."

Can't remember where I saw this one, but I love it!

"There are two secrets for success...

1) Never Tell everything you know."
Reminds me of the joke:

There are two kinds of people in this world:
1) Those who extrapolate from incomplete data

New Threads

Top Bottom