• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite Quotes

It's an investment you're determined to make pay off. That I really understand. ;)

But until it happens I hope you don't have to pay too high a price in frustration just getting there.

Thanks. My evaluation is scheduled for August 4 ... wish me luck. And with that,

"You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread topic." (Sorry for the tangent)

image.jpg

I have so many, I left my list at college though :( (I'm home for the winter break) but I'll see what I can remember :) :

"We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep."
- William Shakespeare (The Tempest Act 4, scene 1, 148-158)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
- Albert Einstein

The second one is very close to my heart, I first heard it in high school during a motivational seminar. Throughout my whole life I've been told that I'm clever and gifted and creative and extremely intelligent, but when it comes to any test like situation, I feel like an idiot.

If I could write a uni assignment without having to worry about essay structure or referencing, I could write a book and a half.

If my classmates participated in discussions more, I wouldn't feel so petrified of expressing my opinions. I don't want to be the only person in the room answering questions or giving feedback.

So yeah, I am a fish and I can't climb a tree, but I can do lots of other things, like create worlds inside my mind, create characters or become them on the stage, memorise hundreds of unrelated trivia which has absolutely no use except for breaking the ice at parties (and annoying my mother heehee) I haven't found what I'm especially good at but if I keep being treated like an idiot for the things I can't do, I won't find the things I'm really good at.

I used to subscribe to this, but now I'm not convinced. Maybe as a generalization, but not as a rule.
What say a visual thinker has to explain in words. What say English is your second language. What say you are paralyzed and can't speak. So many are treated as if they are stupid just because they can't reply. Of course, if we assume this saying is true, it would be reasonable for nurseangela to assume none of us understand aspergers at all either. :p
I like the well thought out response! But, would assume myself that nurseangela picks up on the quote more in the realm of complex academic teaching of a topic, like I read in another posters response to the same quote...using another quote...earlier in the thread. (We shouldn't belittle each others thoughts or ideas that we want to share!) ...we are all on the same 'Aspie team' after all, right? This is a place for support! :D

"'Curiosity killed the cat. But satisfaction brought it back!' So, if the cat really does get 9 lives...said cat has 8 (safe) attempts to learn it's lesson and attain said satisfaction!" - My thoughts sprinkled with other's words...
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1405426738.049493.jpg

I'm kind of a 'theater buff' so am thrilled to see that Shakespeare is a part of that! Final thought: (could it be interpreted that the cat became -satisfied- in it's own failed attempt to understand that in which it was curious, so it (comes back) to try again at perfecting the understanding, only to repeat the cycle, once again, of (deadly) curiosity!!? ;)

"Schools serve the same social functions as prisons and mental institutions - to define, classify, control and regulate people."
- Michel Foucault

"Schools serve the same social functions as prisons and mental institutions - to define, classify, control and regulate people."
- Michel Foucault
Ever hear of the Montisory (sp?) school? My sister in law teaches at one, and (From what I've gathered thus far) it seems to break that pattern and allow children to grow in a better environment conducive to promoting self esteem and self/peer learning styles...rather than "teacher is always right, so kids...Shut up and listen" like I unfortunately was made to experience first hand!

We shouldn't belittle each others thoughts or ideas that we want to share!
Sorry, didn't mean to belittle. Maybe it came out wrong at the time. It used to a favourite quote of mine. It's not now.
The last bit was meant to be humorous but probably fell flat due other things happening on the forums at the time. As much as we can try to explain aspergers, NTs will never fully 'grok' it.
Again, I'm sorry. Back to our regular posts...

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean to belittle. Maybe it came out wrong at the time. It used to a favourite quote. It's not now.
Last last bit was meant to be humorous but probably fell flat due other things happening on the forums at the time. As much as we can try to explain aspergers, NTs will never fully 'grok' it.
Again, I'm sorry. Back to our regular posts...

Ah, but that's the difference ... we can explain it, they can't understand for the very reason you mentioned ... our native languages are near-polar opposites.

What brought it to mind was that I asked an NT to explain something but she wouldn't even try ... she just kept restating herself with no explanation ('broken record' method). When I called her out she said "I can't explain it in a way you can understand" which I found extremely insulting. But your comment clarified it ... she wasn't trying to explain in English, she was obviously doing that non-verbal communication unconsciously (her native language). Problem is, that doesn't come across in email. o_O

I cannot find the comic, but I think describing it here is appropriate.

Two school-age girls approach a third, who is in a wheelchair. One of the able-bodied girls ask the chair-bound girl, "do we call you handicapped or disabled?"

The chair-bound girl looks up, throws her hands out and says "Call me Charlotte!"

~Rachel

Richard Nixon, if he were alive today, might take bittersweet satisfaction to know that he was not the last smart president to prolong unjustifiably a senseless, unwinnable war, at great cost in human life... He would probably also feel vindicated (and envious) that ALL the crimes he committed against me -- which forced his resignation facing impeachment --are now legal.

-- Daniel Ellsburg

Mozzie- "Behind every worst case scenario, there's a worse worst case scenario."
Neal- "Is there a child whose balloon you need to pop somewhere?"
From White Collar

Sam Hunt - a NZ poet - visited my school during 'Book Week' many years ago. I don't remember his exact words, but here's the gist of what I remember.

"When a teacher asks you, 'What did the author mean by [what they wrote]?' just copy it out word for word. The author meant what they said. If they meant something else they would have written it."

(I suspect however you wouldn't get any marks for following his advice :) )

“Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish. So you kill the hour. You do not work, you do not read, you do not daydream. If you sleep it is not because you need to sleep. And when at last it is over, there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadows beneath your eyes or a terribly thin line near the corner of your mouth indicating something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is too empty to share.”
~ House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

At my first job the boss would often say "tidy desk, tidy mind".

My colleague would counter with "empty desk, empty mind".

New Threads

Top Bottom