• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Experience with the Supplement GABA for Sleep?

Informed Mom

Does anyone have any experience using the supplement GABA to help their children sleep? I have seen some comments by ADHD'ers that they find it effective in helping them wind down to fall asleep and they seem to feel it is more effective than melatonin. From what I have been able to research, it is also used to help calm the mind and reduce anxiety. I just have not been able to find much about anyone's personal experience and I am curious. My son has used Clonidine for years as a sleep aid, but now that he is a teenager, it doesn't seem to be as effective. Changing circadian rhythms?

Does anyone have any experience using the supplement GABA to help their children sleep? I have seen some comments by ADHD'ers that they find it effective in helping them wind down to fall asleep and they seem to feel it is more effective than melatonin. From what I have been able to research, it is also used to help calm the mind and reduce anxiety. I just have not been able to find much about anyone's personal experience and I am curious. My son has used Clonidine for years as a sleep aid, but now that he is a teenager, it doesn't seem to be as effective. Changing circadian rhythms?

Try some Melatonin.

If your talking about circadian rhythms, then get your son some Melatonin...
its good stuff.

Chiliboy18: the info I am seeing recommends this as an alternative to melatonin since long term use of melatonin is not recommended. That's why I am looking into it. My son needs help falling asleep every night, not just sometimes.

I have experience with the phenibut form of it which is able to cross the blood brain barrier. It's very effective, but it will only work for about three days in a row. Then you need to go off of it for several days. I wouldn't give it to children or use it long term. It also made me groggy for several hours after waking.

I would try ZMA and/or 5-htp. They will promote a more sound restful sleep without the drug like effects. 5-htp is a serotonin precursor. I'm not sure if it's recommended for teens. As counter intuitive as it sounds, some people with ADHD find stimulants helpful in treating insomnia. I mean a mild stimulant like a cup of tea.

Hi,
We've been giving my boy (almost 5 yo) GABA and inositol mixed with juice before bed for over a year now. When we first tried it, it made an obvious difference- he was calmer and less anxious at bedtime and took less time to finally fall asleep. Then we thought it wasn't working anymore so stopped. This happened a couple times. We start it up again after a couple of weeks and it seems to work again. I think it may just be that tolerance develops easily so you have to stop using it for a while then it works again. The inositol really helps with anxiety as well and we sometimes give him morning juice with it if he is seeming on edge, but it makes him a bit drowsy.
I tried it before giving it to my son- I have anxiety and trouble sleeping too and I felt a slight positive difference.
5-HTP also works for me and I've given it to my son when he is having a really anxious period. Worth a try.
Melatonin gives my son terrible nightmares.

New Threads

Top Bottom