• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

End of the use of the name Aspergers

yes, according to the DSM we are to lose our "identities" as Aspies and receive the same classification as someone unable to speak and wears diapers...
seems logical

If you are an Aspie, and on "The Spectrum," speaking of anyone as "someone unable to speak and wears diapers" as undesirable is absolutely cruel. If you are continent and can talk it is likely very obvious that NTs will comprehend you aren't severely affected. How about a little compassion? I am unhappy to be an Aspie but very grateful to be less severely affected than some less fortunate person who can't speak for his/her self. If I tell someone who knows I was first a teacher and then an RN that I am on the Autism spectrum I believe they will intuit that there are some Autistics who are more affected than I. I wish there were a socially correctly correct way to reveal the extent of someone's autism without being cruel.

If you are an Aspie, and on "The Spectrum," speaking of anyone as "someone unable to speak and wears diapers" as undesirable is absolutely cruel. If you are continent and can talk it is likely very obvious that NTs will comprehend you aren't severely affected. How about a little compassion? I am unhappy to be an Aspie but very grateful to be less severely affected than some less fortunate person who can't speak for his/her self. If I tell someone who knows I was first a teacher and then an RN that I am on the Autism spectrum I believe they will intuit that there are some Autistics who are more affected than I. I wish there were a socially correctly correct way to reveal the extent of someone's autism without being cruel.

When I share that I have "Autism" I'm told , "How ?, you drive, you talk , etc...
When I share I have Aspergers, I'm asked "What is that ?" AND this is constant with "NT'S"

High Function Autism is another label saying " oh look, he can tie his shoes
Using ASD seems to be a "middle ground". then you hear, "Well you don't have it so bad"
Autism is retardation, the development stages are not met in a timely manner and some not met at all.
Aspergers s development stages are met with the exception of maybe riding a bike, learning to swim and similar activities.
I have a disability, I want my disability to be correctly identified and not confused with something that it is not..

Last edited:
Changing the name of a disorder does not eliminate the symptoms ;)
Yeah,you could fudge the paper work to allot for possible mistakes,or you can ignore it and hope it goes away as well.
As writer/philosopher Ayn Rand said: “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”

Some of us are not aspies.I proudly fly the autistic flag myself,and don't consider it a disability to me,but more in line with it being a wonderful gift. Those who don't understand autism at all say there is no way I can be autistic because I am not low functioning. I actually tell some people that I am autie so they avoid me which cuts out the small talk with small minds.
I am one of the extroverted auties who wears a mask and puts on an act worthy of an Oscar every day.
My part of the autism spectrum is not all golden,but the tough parts were not that bad in comparison to the good parts. If you think you have lost an identity according to what a paper says,keep in mind that it is only another opinion and YOU have the choice to label yourself any way you desire.

If you think you have lost an identity according to what a paper says,keep in mind that it is only another opinion and YOU have the choice to label yourself any way you desire.
Not a "paper" but a group of folks like most are here...

Not a "paper" but a group of folks like most are here...
Who can continue to use Asperger's Syndrome if that is what they prefer. The DSM is just a book written to set guidelines for diagnosis and holds an umbrella to cover you by severity of symptoms. No,it isn't perfect,but it is what the psych world has done by voting,aka opinions. Sorry if you feel slighted by it.

Well what ever it is, Asperger's Syndrome or Autistic Spectrum Disorder, for me it is not a disability. It's my superpower.

Well what ever it is, Asperger's Syndrome or Autistic Spectrum Disorder, for me it is not a disability. It's my superpower.
Each of us has a different degrees of functioning.I have above average intelligence...mostly just misunderstood and seriously intelligent conversations just don't happen often enough.
Often I can not see I'm being taken advantage of..
Yes, I have thinking skills and crazy talents..
But I do not have one "real" friend to talk to, hang out with...
I just don't get people....and things like holidays, birthdays, the need to congregate in mass numbers
The inability of not putting one foot in front of the other has given me 60 + broken bones, 7 concussions and a dozen or more sew ups..
anymore it seems I'm just biding my time till it is time to die...

Each of us has a different degrees of functioning.I have above average intelligence...mostly just misunderstood and seriously intelligent conversations just don't happen often enough.
Often I can not see I'm being taken advantage of..
Yes, I have thinking skills and crazy talents..
But I do not have one "real" friend to talk to, hang out with...
I just don't get people....and things like holidays, birthdays, the need to congregate in mass numbers
The inability of not putting one foot in front of the other has given me 60 + broken bones, 7 concussions and a dozen or more sew ups..
anymore it seems I'm just biding my time till it is time to die...

I would guess that I pay enough attention to details to be taken advantage of. If there is something I don't understand at first,I will ask enough questions seeking the best answers before I make a move forward.

I gained friends from common interests,where we all had something to offer each other and understood our obsessions. Geeks and adrenalin junkies are all freaks in some manner,it's just a part of the game,so blending in was not hard for me.
The people part is a tough one,at times I still avoid holiday mayhem now and again.
Try to focus on your strengths,your own interests may overshadow some of your lesser points and you might pick up a friend along the way ;)

I was just called an asshole by an autistic person because he didn't like a post I wrote. The "reason" he gave had nothing to do with the content of the post. I had described behavior of "social" people; something I do a lot, because Asperger people enjoy descriptions of our strange interactions with the social majority; our behavior is often a reaction to their behavior. Why he was upset by this I'm not sure; but I am sure that Aspergers is not a type of Autism. My experience with Autistic individuals is not adequate, but my few interactions have led me to believe that logic is not their "thing," whereas Asperger individuals have a definite prejudice favoring facts, common sense, honesty, equality, (these are emotions for us) problem-solving and yes, above average skills in perceiving "reality."

I don't see any reason why we ought not to be able to describe our characteristics as they truly exist, and not for the convenience of "the disability industry."

Hi Everybody,
The plot thickens!!!!
They seem to have decided to pidgeon hole us all into a little cardboard box in the Autism Spectrum Range, we are not Aspies anymore, That appears to be history, and now there is not an official Aspergers problem, (How convenient), where i am there is now not a supported diagnosis process to even get me referred to somebody that can professionally confirm my condition, i reckon i will have to pay privately to get things sorted out, and that could cost me a small fortune, they seem to be relying on people being too financially incapable or too messed up to fight the system.
So what are the options, i could do something really stupid with a death wish attached, that would fast track me through the legal system for a diagnosis before they could officially label me as normal or as they seem to think, probably completely nutz (maybe they are not completely sure yet, i will give them the benifit of the doubt). and i might end up in the category where they decide that i should not to be slung in prison for my actions as i would obviously have had no idea that i had any clue i was doing anything wrong. Looks like i have to get myself arrested before i can prove officially that i have a problem.
What a dilema and pit of vipers this is.
It's pretty poor that you have to get arrested to get officially diagnosed, in this day of great medical advances, what does that say about the world today.
Your comments would be appreciated i think i covered all the bases, but please feel free to let me know if i missed anything.
It's all very confusing and frustrating.
Steve

Saying I have Autism is fine, stereotypes be what they may it is still better to have your disability taken seriously and I don't feel like Asperger's was.

Some of us are not aspies.I proudly fly the autistic flag myself,and don't consider it a disability to me,but more in line with it being a wonderful gift. Those who don't understand autism at all say there is no way I can be autistic because I am not low functioning. I actually tell some people that I am autie so they avoid me which cuts out the small talk with small minds.
I am one of the extroverted auties who wears a mask and puts on an act worthy of an Oscar every day.
My part of the autism spectrum is not all golden,but the tough parts were not that bad in comparison to the good parts. If you think you have lost an identity according to what a paper says,keep in mind that it is only another opinion and YOU have the choice to label yourself any way you desire.
How would you, Nitro, attempt to describe the difference between autistic and aspie? (Assuming that there's more too the difference than "one is more low/high functioning than the other.)

At first I thought I was an aspie until I was further researched.In the big scheme of things,there are too many manifestations of differences within the autism spectrum to really be of any help in describing exactly what the differences are.Even neurotypicals have vast differences and should not be pigeon-holed. The human mind can share similarities,but no two are ever exact copies due to heredity and environmental influences.The NTs can't help that they are the way they are either,but they hold the majority of the rules and such is life ;)

I am a stickler for detail in everything I do,so I use the title handed to me after my diagnostics were confirmed by my team of pros.They based my diagnosis on the older criteria when there was still an Asperger's diagnosis before DSM 5 was released with the ASD umbrella now in use here in the USA. I was given my diploma based on my early childhood history of not talking until after age five. I often stress that a childhood developmental history is very important to proper diagnostics even at a later age. My diagnostic process took a very long time with weekly visits from a pro tending to my TBI issues.My team of pros even learned a lot from exposure to me,so it was a win-win on both sides of the fence.It isn't every day that they get to work with one of the crown jewels of the spectrum combined with an acquired brain injury. I have become their poster child at their clinic with huge strides in recovery and being their favorite autie to date. My damage recovery has been amazing even to me now that I understand the possible ramifications of how I originally started out.

Some professionals must still follow the older diagnostic criteria here as my friend has a grandson who turned three who was given an aspie diagnosis earlier this year. Hunter is not profoundly autistic,just mildly autie and still receives governmental support and specialized therapy three times a week to meet his challenges. Dee was very upset when they first gave hints that Hunter was different.She is pretty ok with it now,and I gained a new autie buddy for life. I can at times sense when I am in the presence of an autistic individual and Hunter has very strong vibes in my honest opinion.Before he was confirmed,I did a lot of exploration of his stereotypes and was convinced myself that he had a pretty fair chance of being a spectrumite. Hunter is going to be just fine as he ages because he got intervention at such an early age,much like Dr.Temple Grandin recommends.Discipline and strong mentors at an early age make the experience a whole lot easier in the bigger picture.

I always place a very high emphasis on diagnostic procedures when dealing with autism because of the many chances of misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis on behalf of professionals. At times I question my own pro diagnosis and even myself. It was once again confirmed two nights ago as I was visiting my lifelong childhood friend who went into surgery for cancer in his mouth yesterday. I got a very intense visual documentary of a great portion of our times spent together that raced thru my head all night long and well into the next day.

Some open minded individuals who are in awe of my abilities ask for descriptions of them.I do my best to explain to them what goes on inside my head. Then I explain that I wouldn't wish my ride on the autism rollercoaster on anyone.

Yep,I'm still autie and still autie proud ;)

Hi Everybody,
The plot thickens!!!!
They seem to have decided to pidgeon hole us all into a little cardboard box in the Autism Spectrum Range, we are not Aspies anymore, That appears to be history, and now there is not an official Aspergers problem, (How convenient), where i am there is now not a supported diagnosis process to even get me referred to somebody that can professionally confirm my condition, i reckon i will have to pay privately to get things sorted out, and that could cost me a small fortune, they seem to be relying on people being too financially incapable or too messed up to fight the system.
So what are the options, i could do something really stupid with a death wish attached, that would fast track me through the legal system for a diagnosis before they could officially label me as normal or as they seem to think, probably completely nutz (maybe they are not completely sure yet, i will give them the benifit of the doubt). and i might end up in the category where they decide that i should not to be slung in prison for my actions as i would obviously have had no idea that i had any clue i was doing anything wrong. Looks like i have to get myself arrested before i can prove officially that i have a problem.
It's pretty poor that you have to get arrested to get officially diagnosed, in this day of great medical advances, what does that say about the world today.
Your comments would be appreciated i think i covered all the bases, but please feel free to let me know if i missed anything.
Steve

Steve190161 , do you need an official diagnosis? Such as to receive benefits, or accommodations in employment, or for counselling/therapy, or medications? (There aren't really any meds for autism, though.) There are plenty of us on here who are self diagnosed with no plans to pursue an official assessment. :) If you and your family are confident in the self diagnosis, you may be able to save your money. I do understand the need for answers, though. To be so close to understanding yourself after so long...so close you can almost touch it...but it's out of reach because of cost, geography, local government, etc. :angry:grrr

Please don't do anything that will get you in trouble. ;)

asd vs aspergers.png

Where I live the ICD is used but what I find funny is the criteria. Take a look at this:

Asperger's: http://iancommunity.org/cs/about_asds/icd10_criteria_for_diagnosing_aspergers_syndrome

Look at all that "criteria as for autism". It's cloned much of the criteria for childhood autism.

Criteria for autism: https://iancommunity.org/cs/autism/icd10_criteria_for_autism

The only differences are:

- A (two different things for A in autism and Asperger's)
- 2 under B on autism is not needed for Asperger's - B only needs one symptom for autism though.

It turns out I meet both. I can't remember the name of one of the tests but it was for childhood autism and I scored high enough on that. And let's just go over the criteria (ignoring the overlaps, because I have the diagnosis meaning I have met them):

For Asperger's: My language development was ahead (my first word before age 1, meaning I could have spoken a year later and still have Asperger's). I didn't get diagnosed until adulthood meaning I had no support at school and I coped with that fine. For these two reasons I meet part A for Asperger's.

For autism: For B, need one of part 2 - I meet d, lack of varied spontaneous make-believe play or (when young) social imitative play. I would not play with other kids. Not once. Did not understand they were playing, it's as simple as that. This leaves me with A. And it'd be A part 3 - Abnormal or impaired development is evident before the age of 3 years in functional or symbolic play. I would not play with toys - their intended function. I'd collect them and line/organise them, or otherwise not be doing their function. As an example: had marbles that came as part of games. Would not play the game, would put marbles into groups of size or colour. Had a set of fabric that you were supposed to make stuff out of - did not, would feel the fabric's texture. Had bouncy balls with the intention of bouncing - would not, would put them into size order. I could go on all day about this, but that'd be too long for a reasonable person to read. Point being I would not use toys for their intended function.

So look at this, I meet both. Is this even supposed to happen? Who knows, but I do.

My diagnosis is Asperger's (I take it when you meet both you're given the Asperger's diagnosis), but sometimes when AS and HFA are compared here I find HFA to describe me better, but of course sometimes it's AS that describes me better, so I actually hope the ICD does the same thing the DSM does so I don't feel like some strange hybrid between the two. That's how I feel right now - some weird hybrid. People on this site say they're completely different disorders but to me at least it doesn't seem to be. High functioning ASD/ASC is a much better description for me personally - but that seems to be against what everyone is saying, so I'm confused.

How common is what I'm describing? To not be distinctively one or the other?

Hi Everybody,
The plot thickens!!!!
Steve
If I can be ultra dark and cynical, it seems that you have to carry out a mass shooting for for people to believe in your Aspergers/Autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom