• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't like Asperger's classed same as low functioning autism.

That's certainly encouraging, though it ultimately depends on a clinician's ability to recognize and actually apply those "subtype" categories. And how they might be documented for legal and professional purposes.

Simon Baron-Cohen was the author of the "AQ Test". An important name regarding autism in the scientific community.

I hate to say this, but there are doctors out there will give you a diagnosis for a price- the one you want. Just as some doctors fill prescriptions when they should not. I am saying that the medical community is made of humans, and like all humans, there is going to be vast diversity in all things.

"This is where I am completely ignorant on the subject of autism. Are you saying that most children with a diagnosis of “ high functioning” autism did engage in the same screaming self harming, visual stimming, head banging, (and perhaps violent to others) meltdowns as the diagnosed “low functioning” ones? I had a completely different understanding."

I'm no expert, but I know that I certainly fit that criteria, as did those in my family with variations of autism and the kids I have worked with and met since then. I'm not sure how it is diagnosed in children today, but I was given a straightforward autism diagnosis by one doctor as a child, then received a diagnosis of aspergers/HF autism as an adult (having learned enough techniques to deal with the world). The way I 'presented' as a child/teen was far more extreme. These days, I don't think I come across as all that different to strangers who meet me (other than being a bit 'odd' or sometimes reacting OTT to sudden or loud noises/touch), but then I self manage a lot better and avoid environments/situations where it would be more obvious. I still rely a lot on support from doctors and family, but I've held finance jobs in the city and (more recently) the tech sector and was just 'that nerdy girl'. So I would describe my adult self as 'high functioning'. I was extremely lucky to receive the help I did, but I still don't think I could have responded well enough to that help if I'd had additional difficulties such as a low IQ (which is why I use IQ as a defining factor).

New Threads

Top Bottom