• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't like Asperger's classed same as low functioning autism.

J Jones

I don't like how the USA are trying to get everybody to think that low functioning autism and Asperger's syndrome are all the same thing.
I know they say it's a spectrum, but that's like saying headache is a spectrum. Headache from an accident, brain tumour, stroke or tension are a spectrum, but they aren't the same thing. A cold and flu have similar symptoms but they aren't the same thing.
I'm nothing like those people who can't speak, have a low mental ability and go into rages banging their head and everything.
How can the people who need to wear a helmet from self harm be the same as others they say have Asperger's like Einstein or Bill Gates? It isn't the same thing and there are more differences than similarities.

Where did you see/read this at? I have always been told that Asperger's Syndrome(Which is my offical Dx) and HFA are the most most similar. Mike

If we were all so systematically associated with low-functioning autism, it would be that much easier to seek government assistance and entitlements in the US when it isn't. IMO the purpose of the DSM-V transitioning Aspergers Syndrome to Autism Spectrum Disorder on a spectrum is largely influenced by political and budgetary motives.

Not to associate it with low functioning autism, but quite the opposite. To make our neurology that much more obscure and complex, with a deliberate intent to limit and reduce private sector insurance claims and public sector government entitlements.

On the surface it looks good for one party to claim political victory in implementing the Affordable Care Act, while the DSM-V protocols actually limit and reduces the likelihood of making claims taxpayers must pick up, which ideologically works for the other party as well.

W00t! Head-banging, speech-device-using, meltdown-prone autistic here. And yes, you most certainly ARE like us: Like pizza? Hate the flu? Guess we aren't so different after all, are we? :D

First, a warm welcome to AC.

Under the current DSM, ASD is discussed in terms of levels 1, 2, or 3 regarding level of supports needed. That means that someone who overall needs less supports may get less supports, and someone who needs more will get more. Plus, with the Supports Intensity Scale assessment used in most states, supports can be further tailored.

Challenges with communication, sensory processing, and socializing exist for everyone on the spectrum.
The same is usually true in varying degrees regarding attention, central coherence, and self-regulatory motor behaviors. Positively, strengths such as being detail-oriented, remarkable pattern recognition, and having significant passions also unify across the spectrum.

Please reconsider your use of functioning labels. ASD does not exist as a linear spectrum, but rather, it's more like a sundae bar where we each get a little of this or a lot of that. :shavedice:

Incidentally, intelligence testing results for autistics are actually more a measure of our ability to pay attention, rather than an indicator of intelligence. Not that intelligence is a suitable mark of what makes a valuable human being.

If you need supports in USA, you would receive tailored supports for your specific challenges. You don't need to fear being offered inappropriate supports. You can communicate goals and tailor services to your specific needs.

If however you simply fear being socially associated with autistics whose challenges are more evident, hopefully you will develop a deeper understanding regarding our personhood. People who move differently, and who communicate differently, have as much to offer as anyone else. Ability doesn't grant personhood. :cool:

Where did I say ability grants personhood? Yes I understand that it can be useful for seeking government aid, but there's no need to try to make me be politically correct where I'm too afraid to speak my real feelings about the condition I was diagnosed with.
I want to have a social connection with people who are the same, and I can't do that if I'm classed the same as a person with a low IQ who needs a machine to speak or they go into total meltdown where they're a physical danger to themselves and others.

Frankly I've learned a great deal about my own autism from those in this community who don't necessarily share all my traits and behaviors, comorbid conditions or my intelligence quotient. And yet in spite of such potential differences, we all still have a lot of common experiences, especially in the struggle to exist in a Neurotypical world.

This is a good thing!

If you're looking for a community reflecting some kind of social stratification, you won't likely find it here.

One thing for sure though...those who create and define such professional protocols like the DSM or ICD are for the most part outside the autistic community at large. For better or worse. Whether this dynamic may someday change is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
There are many differences between low functioning autism and Asperger's. Asperger's doesn't have a low IQ, no speech delay as a child and low functioning autism doesn't have clumsy motor problems. I've seen videos of low functioning autism where they go into crazy rages hitting themselves and I don't feel I have anything in common with that.

This is how I understand it. According to the DSM4, the difference between Asperger's Syndrome and classic autism is that there is no cognitive or linguistic impairment in AS. People with AS can have all of the other symptoms of autism and with some people they can be severe. In other words, not everyone with AS is high functioning. Also, people with classic autism are not always low functioning. If they have slight cognitive and/or linguistic impairment, they are considered to have high functioning autism. Of course this is according to the DSM4, which is not in use anymore in the US. The criteria that is used for diagnosing these types of disorders in the US is now the DSM5. I do not think that the terms "Asperger's Syndrome" or "high functioning autism" are used in the DSM5. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

I hope that this clears things up for a bit. Just keep in mind that it is all autism to varying degrees.

Last edited:
The irony is that we can argue such points among ourselves until hell freezes over.

But step out into the real world and run into the first person you find who is likely to be Neurotypical and not have a clue as to the difference between Neurotypical and Neurodiverse, let alone distinctions made by the DSM-IV and DSM-V.

With so much societal stigmatization about neurology and mental health in general, whatever you choose to label your neurological profile isn't likely to be looked upon fairly by much of anyone.

Thus a "need-to-know" basis for telling much of anyone remains in play for most of us.

The irony is that we can argue such points among ourselves until hell freezes over.

But step out into the real world and run into the first person you find who is likely to be Neurotypical and not have a clue as to the difference between Neurotypical and Neurodiverse, let alone distinctions made by the DSM-IV and DSM-V.

With so much societal stigmatization about neurology and mental health in general, whatever you choose to label your neurological profile isn't likely to be looked upon fairly by much of anyone.

Thus a "need-to-know" basis for telling much of anyone remains in play for most of us.

Oh boy, do I ever agree with that! I can discuss it here, but not in the real world. "Most people" can not or will not understand. I was just trying to explain to the OP the different terms as I understand them.

One thing though, personally I'm not at all convinced that the present determination of the DSM-V is final. I see this as an evolving process over time...depending how much or how little science and medicine progresses in this direction.

Or how much lawmakers and insurers may want to limit neurological and mental health claims for which government subsidizes.

Last edited:
One thing though, personally I'm not at all convinced that the present determination of the DSM-V is final. I see this as an evolving process over time...depending how much or how little science and medicine progresses in this direction.

Do you think it will get better or worse? What kind of changes do you see? It looks to me like the science & medicine did not influence near as much as the financial and political concerns. It seems to be much harder to get a diagnosis now. The people who are qualified to make a diagnosis are reluctant to do so.

Do you think it will get better or worse? What kind of changes do you see? It looks to me like the science & medicine did not influence near as much as the financial and political concerns. It seems to be much harder to get a diagnosis now. The people who are qualified to make a diagnosis are reluctant to do so.

Good question. That's why I just added a thought about what lawmakers and insurers impact also has on such things. IMO they are the problem- not the solution. Such protocols should have no ramifications other than to truly help people with a fair and proper diagnosis. Not to find ways to exclude them because of a perceived fiscal impact to taxpayers.

Last edited:
Good question. That's why I just added a thought about what lawmakers and insurers impact also has on such things. IMO they are the problem- not the solution. Such protocols should have no ramifications other than to truly help people. Not to exclude them because of a perceived fiscal impact.

I agree 100%. The reason that I am so concerned is our 7 year old granddaughter clearly is on the spectrum. I first bought it up when she was 3 years old, but our daughter was not receptive to the idea, thinking that she was just gifted. After she started school and they mentioned it, her parents came around. I firmly believe that she needs counseling to succeed in this NT world and her parents now agree. They found a provider with experience in ASD and was in their insurer's network. At first the doctor was reluctant to do much and said he could not make a diagnosis in her case. My daughter told him that she did not want a diagnosis, she wanted him to help her. After that was said, the help was forthcoming. It seemed like the doctor was encouraged to not make a diagnosis. I know it certainly was not like that when I was diagnosed with the DSM4.

There are many differences between low functioning autism and Asperger's. Asperger's doesn't have a low IQ, no speech delay as a child and low functioning autism doesn't have clumsy motor problems. I've seen videos of low functioning autism where they go into crazy rages hitting themselves and I don't feel I have anything in common with that.
As much as Youtube can be educational,it is not the total answer to what you are seeking.

I had a speech delay as a child. I would have never gotten an Asperger's diagnosis as a result of that.
To group me with being low functional would be absurd. I have an off the hook IQ and some abilities that astound others, professional or not.

The entire labeling system is very flawed,as well as the black art they call psychology. It is nothing more than a series of educated guesses in my honest opinion.

One must become their own person and bolster their strengths as a guiding force. The woes need addressed in any way possible,but should not hinder your dreams. Do not become a diagnosis,set your own standards and work towards the goals.

I don't like how the USA are trying to get everybody to think that low functioning autism and Asperger's syndrome are all the same thing.
I know they say it's a spectrum, but that's like saying headache is a spectrum. Headache from an accident, brain tumour, stroke or tension are a spectrum, but they aren't the same thing. A cold and flu have similar symptoms but they aren't the same thing.
I'm nothing like those people who can't speak, have a low mental ability and go into rages banging their head and everything.
How can the people who need to wear a helmet from self harm be the same as others they say have Asperger's like Einstein or Bill Gates? It isn't the same thing and there are more differences than similarities.

As I see it, we actually don't know if it's the same thing. That is science hasn't established yet what all these things are and how they are related. Are we the same and differ only in severity? Do we have distinctly different things?

But personally I (with HFA) have no problem being considered in the same over-group as LFA. Because I think we all share that there were problems in brain development. Yes, I know some HFAs are quite adequately functional and can even excell. But the root issue seems to be something that interfers with normal brain development.

I dont mind that at all. I agree with with Warmheart, autism can be like a sundae and those with larger helpings of certain things in the autism sundae are just as good as everyone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom