• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone know a way to calm down?

Relaxed breathing as mentioned. I was told 2 seconds in, 2 seconds out. Mild physical activity like stretching perhaps, or taking a walk if location and weather permits. Or do something distracting. Like watching a funny show.
Its probably just a case of nerves, with is common. Try and give your mind something else to think about/focus on other then the recital.

I was freaking out a short while ago. Feeling very lonely all day and have been for a few times last week and hoped it would pass, but today, it has been very difficult and even though I am playing music, sounds so hollow to me and I guess it is because I feel so unhappy.

Anyway, sorry to digress here. What helped me to calm down a bit, was to think of ways around what seems to be an impossible situation and a few ideas started to form in my mind ( thanks to my faith, as I prayed to ask for help) and feel a lot calmer now.

So, basically, you need to reason on why you are feeling stressed out and take some deep breaths and think: is there really a valid reason why I feel this way and if so, how can it a bit better? If it is related to your piano lessons. You could try reasoning that if you fail, at least you tried and if you succeed then that is great.

I freaked out when I went for my first drive; feeling positive that I would not be able to drive; in fact: convinced because I put too much store into needing to do it. As it happened, I did really well.

With music, you have to think about the beauty of the music that you will play, regardless of who is listening. You are the one that needs to enjoy it, and probably you are the one that enjoys it the most, that's why you are playing the piano.

Good luck

In a situation where I have absolutely have no choice but to be in front of people, I take a no-nonsense approach. Look at myself in a mirror, into my eyes and address my fears, citing previous situations that went well. Sometimes I'll think in terms of someone telling me what to do, like a teacher or parent or someone I trust, giving myself a kind of lecture.

It's never failed to quiet my fears or stress or anxiety, if done in the right way. Think that as long as you address the reasons you are nervous, and give yourself examples of situations where you were not nervous or stressed and did well, you will do well.
Good Luck:)

Last edited:
I would try to relax and breathe. maybe put on some light classical music or something. That is what i do.

More long term I've been learning mindfulness meditation. I find concentrating on my breathing is very helpful and mindfulness helps me to practice this when I'm not stressed so it is easier when I am.

Hello,

I am new here, diagnosed with High Functioning Autism last year.

You are probably either about to perform or are getting ready to - good luck! So many wonderful suggestions here.

For me, mindfulness and breathing practices have helped me. Remembering that the moment is the only place I exist, ever, helps.

I am currently reading Thich Naht Hanh's book "You are Here". In the book, he suggests breathing in accompanied by mentally saying "As I breathe in, I'm breathing in". It automatically draws you to the present. It may seem sort of like you are stating the obvious, but it helps. Then, when you breathe out, you say "As I breathe out, I'm breathing out" in your mind. You do so (out breath) with a smile on your face. Just treat your breath, your anxiety, and your emotions as you would a child (as he suggests). Just observe, don't judge, just allow.

I'm still working on it, but it's definitely helped me tremendously.

Hope this helps

Breathing is very important but I learnt to picture something that always relaxes me and play a relaxing song in my head. For me I think of waterlilies and 'Hiding All Away' by Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds but I think that combination will only work on me. Just try to work out somethings that calm you and make you happy then whenever you start getting stressed just think about them whilst deep breathing. It will take a while to work and its better if you catch when you're getting stressed early.

New Threads

Top Bottom