• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think these would be good jobs for me =)

Gary DuBois

Depends largely on you over what you haven't elaborated on.

Such as how well- or not you deal or are willing to deal with the public. Keeping in mind there is no generic responses for such things based only on the idea that one is on the spectrum of autism. That a spectrum implies a broad interpretation of traits and behaviors you may or may not have, which can impact how one does a job relative to interacting with others. In any retail capacity, it's a near certainty you must deal with the public.

And of course, the realities of most any job markets, resulting in us taking whatever jobs we actually get, as opposed to mulling over what we ideally think we're suited for.

Last edited:
Depends largely on you over what you haven't elaborated on.

Such as how well- or not you deal or are willing to deal with the public. Keeping in mind there is no generic responses for such things based only on the idea that one is on the spectrum of autism. That a spectrum implies a broad interpretation of traits and behaviors you may or may not have, which can impact how one does a job relative to interacting with others. In any retail capacity, it's a near certainty you must deal with the public.

And of course, the realities of most any job markets, resulting in us taking whatever jobs we actually get, as opposed to mulling over what we ideally think we're suited for.
I would rather not deal with the public i like being by myself and working by myself. I have aspergers and add i am 32 years old and the work i currently do i enjoy is fun as a fuel island assistant and shop helper but i have alot of bad memorys working at that job place and that is why i want to get a new job.

I am comfortable interacting with the general public but i would prefer not to. I would love towork at petco because animals help me with my mild autism. I will keep my eyes open for new jobs on craigslist because it has been 2 years i have been working full time at the northwest cascade company. And here in 2024 my goal is to go to a new job =)

I would rather not deal with the public i like being by myself and working by myself. I have aspergers and add i am 32 years old and the work i currently do i enjoy is fun as a fuel island assistant and shop helper but i have alot of bad memorys working at that job place and that is why i want to get a new job.

I am comfortable interacting with the general public but i would prefer not to. I would love towork at petco because animals help me with my mild autism. I will keep my eyes open for new jobs on craigslist because it has been 2 years i have been working full time at the northwest cascade company. And here in 2024 my goal is to go to a new job =)

It's a plus to admit that you are capable of dealing with the general public, as am I. Yet I loathe it at the same time. I get that.

However most jobs inevitably require social interactions between both customers and coworkers. Though some can be more complex than others along such lines. The rest is largely a matter of technical skills one has or doesn't have relative to whatever job they are applying to.

The first job you list, would IMO probably be the most difficult. In theory a building inspector tends to do their job by themselves, interacting with no one. However it's a fact-finding job where in the event you cannot determine required building information, that you may have to seek the help of others to ascertain an answer. Where situations can be unpredictable.

Beyond doing the basic job of inspection, one must be prepared to interact with others who must "process" the results of an inspection in some manner. Not only producing an inspection through the use of a computer application, but also on occasion to touch base with underwriters or whomever is processing an application for a mortgage in this case. Something I had to do as an insurance underwriter with loss control representatives who routinely inspected buildings I had to approve or disapprove for property and casualty insurance. So my perspective would be somewhat similar to most any mortgage company.

The second job seems a bit ambiguous, and that alone may indicate that while the job may involve "general labor", that it may also involve over-the-counter retail transactions with customers. It may also require some general knowledge pertaining to the equipment they rent to the public. And another likely aspect of such a job may require above-average physical fitness in terms of doing frequent lifting of certain types of equipment.

The last job as a trash collector would have the least amount of social contact, likely limited only to your coworkers and supervisors. Though these days it may well involve a necessary experience with proprietary trash collection heavy equipment, as well as operating a truck with any number of controls that automate a process once reserved for physically strong people. Though such jobs may pay quite well.

Conversely I suppose there is also a possibility that they are hiring people to do trash collection the "old school" way. Meaning you better be physically fit all the time. That "someone else" drives the truck and handles whatever automation that is required. Something that I am reminded of in taking on a job as a warehouseman for a major electrical parts distributor. Rough work that taught me to avoid manual labor. Even in my 20s when I was in my best physical shape ever.

Being a property inspector requires some training and licensing. You follow a lot of procedure.

It also requires a cool head. I have a friend who is an inspector and he tells me a lot of stories. Neighbors or tenants of places that he inspects sometimes get it in their head that he's breaking the law by being in the neighborhood, parking there, walking the property, taking pictures, etc. He will encourage them to call the police or call them himself and keep a safe distance from them until the police come. Then he shows them his license and the paperwork for the inspection and that clears it up.

The property owners also sometimes try to argue about issue he finds or try to argue for a higher appraisal.

Not saying you couldn't/shouldn't do it - just sharing what I've heard about the job.

Being a property inspector requires some training and licensing. You follow a lot of procedure.

It also requires a cool head. I have a friend who is an inspector and he tells me a lot of stories. Neighbors or tenants of places that he inspects sometimes get it in their head that he's breaking the law by being in the neighborhood, parking there, walking the property, taking pictures, etc. He will encourage them to call the police or call them himself and keep a safe distance from them until the police come. Then he shows them his license and the paperwork for the inspection and that clears it up.

The property owners also sometimes try to argue about issue he finds or try to argue for a higher appraisal.

Not saying you couldn't/shouldn't do it - just sharing what I've heard about the job.

Good point. Reminds me of one of our Loss Control representatives (inspectors) who had to do many jobs in San Francisco's "Tenderloin" district. Not a safe or pleasant place to be even in broad daylight.

He used to carry a portable scanner tuned to the police just to scare people off who otherwise might have approached him. And it worked....both honest citizens and potential criminals kept their distance.

Such jobs can have any number of unpredictable circumstances that can pop up more often than not. So it pays to understand whatever location you are inspecting relative to your personal safety.

Last edited:
Home inspector may be fine if you work in a good area, have the transportation and gas to drive to locations, and aware that you may be liable if you don't report a glaring issue because you overlooked it, or became distracted. Check if you need to carry insurance to protect yourself from lawsuits. Rental representative is a good job, but you maybe working along side with someone else. However you can move into car rental agencies, home improvement stores, etc.
Trash pickup depends on where it is in Washington. It's not worth getting randomly attacked because you are removing trash from a section 8 building, and somebody just went off. So maybe check where you collect trash from, 55+ communities? Also try applying for something that maybe you never considered before. Like a nonprofit organization that helps people with disabilities, or the humane society. The times l have stepped out of my thinking and tried something new has paid off. Good luck with new career and this may help you find something you like doing.

Check if you need to carry insurance to protect yourself from lawsuits.
Point taken, but for such a job personally as a mere employee I'd think it would be imperative to ask about the employer's business liability and insurance carrier in the job interview, just to clarify such a matter.

That should be the employer's liability at risk; not the employee. Though it may involve contractual stipulations the employee should be made aware of.

I wasn't sure as a lot of home inspectors are independent where l live. @Judge These days, a lot of independent careers have to carry liability insurance.

Maybe @Gary DuBois might want to try the US Federal post office, they are in need of postal carriers, and front desk bodies where l live.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure as a lot of home inspectors are independent where l live. @Judge
Good point. Then they'd have to carry their own liability. Being insurance oriented I obviously defaulted to corporate employers.

Now that I recall, we used some outside inspection bureaus- two of them. But the inspectors were still employees of the inspection bureaus. So they were covered by their employers as well. But they sure had a nice expense account to take us underwriters out for lunch. Though we did use some independent claims adjusters.

Oh well, it was a very long time ago. I bet those days are long gone. Perhaps to where independent inspectors may be a fiscal preference nowadays. Makes me wonder how much they must pay for that liability insurance. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
They probably have those dreaded continuing educational classes too, to keep insurers liability costs down. You might want to check into home inspector career a little more closely as it does involve liability issues. Where as trash pickup is just that. You may do well as inspector, end up loving the work. You will always be learning new things too. I always applied for things l didn't think l could do and somehow l conquered it. So maybe cut yourself some slack @Gary DuBois and just apply anyways.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom