• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Lack Motivation?

I go through cycles of lacking motivation, one minute I will be highly motivated then I will crash and then even the smallest things become tedious and pointless.

Funny, I've just been searching for some advice on how to self- motivate. Found nothing but what I already knew. Lack of motivation has always been a problem. I think the 1st time I felt that way when I was about 5 years old. Before that I was a toddler and didn't think much of it :) then I spent some time (several months) in a hospital and dreamt of moving some place wonderful with lots of friendly people, eventually we moved into a building where I spent most of my childhood and soon after I started attending kindergarten. I quickly realized that no mater where I went, how many times I moved I would feel the same way. That surrounding wasn't the cause, it was me. I thought about life and death a lot, about my purpose in life and saw a picture of myself going through life quickly while never being satisfied. Then I promised to myself to try enjoying life, learning how to do it. Later I felt that I needed a purpose. Sometimes I imagined that I would do something amazing, something great and it kept me going. I also knew that life in itself may just carry the meaning I was searching for but, somehow, it wasn't enough. By the end of high school I felt that the system failed me and that despite of my talents and intelligence I may never succeed, I may never be independent. I tried to prove myself wrong but it never worked. I live in a country where I think I belong, I have kids now and I feel the need for this mysterious purpose to shine on me a little more but it is still very hard to believe that it's not just an illusion. I don't want to see myself dying unfulfilled, I want to see myself dying surrounded by loving friends and family, I want to see my kids happy and I want to have peace that I accomplished what I struggled so much to understand... yeah :) that's my little note about motivation :)

I've had trouble with it, yeah. Usually breaking a task down into smaller steps helps it to seem more manageable so I'm less likely to find a way to procrastinate.

Did you know in the United State they used to or maybe still do, IQ tests in the first year you start school? I tested very high, I have always done well on tests (99th percentiles) when it comes to logic and math and even vocabulary. Do you know what I did with it? Nothing, the only thing I excel at is procrastination. A mountain of rock is often more motivated then I, and it has honestly gotten to a point where it bothers me.

Patience seems to thwart my larger personal projects. If it's going to take a while, I lose interest easy. Especially when crocheting blankets, a simple back and forth bores me to tears. And it's not just me, there are many crocheters that like to do granny square blankets because the individual squares make you feel like you're accomplishing something sooner.

For me, to actually get something done, I need to be be at it 24/7. That's how I get results of any undertakings. And yes, some tasks are so extensive, that they're not done in 3 hours, but actually require 2 days of no sleep and pretty much passing out after 48 hours, only to wake up and hope I can catch up on the momentum of motivation for said project..

I second this. It's hard enough to get the motivation to start in the first place. If I stop in the middle, I feel like I haven't done anything at all and have even less motivation to finish it.

I've had problems with motivation to perform physical tasks for my entire life, unfortunately. I often summarize myself as having the spirit of a warrior with a body that just won't work, so it feels absolutely awful most of the time, but I've been working on allowing myself to be comfortable with my little curse of lethargy, and I've been redirecting my need for progression to a lot of my emotional problems. So, at least I've made good progress there. Not to say I don't keep trying to find a way to motivate myself to get something tangible out of life, but on the whole, I'm mostly at peace with it.

New Threads

Top Bottom