• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Lack Motivation?

Galaxy Freeze

Title says it all. Do you seem to lack motivation with things/projects or have trouble ever finishing them?

For me, I can get very good ideas for drawings or animations but never actually finish them, sometimes I can't even bring myself to start anything! There are some things I can finish though, such as writing my novel or whatever. I guess it does depend on how much something interests me, but it really is kind of annoying.

Does anyone else feel this way? It could be with anything, really.

Yeah, I have this... and because of this there's a lot of stuff I didn't finish. I've started so many projects that got left behind. And to some extent my education was a bit of the same.

I've concluded; I'm fine with a roadblock when working on something, but at some point it's becoming too much of a burden and it slows me down so much... and that's where I lose interest.

Over time I learned how to get **** done and keep motivated. However; one can label me as suffering from OCD in the process. For me, to actually get something done, I need to be be at it 24/7. That's how I get results of any undertakings. And yes, some tasks are so extensive, that they're not done in 3 hours, but actually require 2 days of no sleep and pretty much passing out after 48 hours, only to wake up and hope I can catch up on the momentum of motivation for said project.

The problem; this is not viable when you're consindering "real world" obligations. I can't imagine getting things done for personal interest when I have a daytime job. Well, perhaps that's already the issue at hand now. I've been unemployed for about 2 years now and in those years I've finished up more projects than I ever did in my life. And in that sense I feel happier and with more closure towards personal goals.

The interest thing gets to me a bit. But then again; if it doesn't interest me a great deal I don't even consider starting it. If I know I'll be like "this is boring and dull" halfway through it, I can just as well not start. Especially when it's projects that cost me money. It's a waste in that sense, since it's not only motivation that's limited, but also resources.

yeah i struggle with this most of the time if am not motivated i just stay in and sleep if i can

I'm not sure. I don't have ADD/ADHD, and I think I've gotten better in focusing on doing certain things well once they're at hand, but at times I lose the courage to end projects because I don't think I have performed as well as I hope. These high demands would of course be less of an annoy if I did pay more attention on doing good job, but I don't think there's so much to blame on lack of motivation than perfection. Procrastinating and delaying to even start a task is hardly a problem for me if I feel it to be important and equivalent thing to do.

Of course having doubt in abilities of self can lead to having doubt in the project, which will lower morality and motivation. Because I don't posses enormous energy source, I also need to be really selective on what sort of things I decide to do, it's no wonder that these thoughts have effect over another.

Yes, I lack motivation towards even the smallest things like getting up to go to the bathroom :p. I get really into things I'm interested in and everything else seems like a hassle that's getting in the way of my interests.

Yeah I have soo many things that are still unfinished, then when I try to get back to them I just can't do it, then I get pissed, then I throw it all away, then I regret that, then I just stop for awhile. Anyone wouldn't know how to change that, would they?

I am currently dieting and next wednesday will be the start of my seventh week on it. So far, I'm still pretty freakin' motivated. :laugh:

All the while, I had always taken a short-term perspective in things, since there are simply too many variables in long-term planning.

I guess breaking down long stuff into small parts helps things :D

We all have physical limitations that we cannot exceed. It is only right to recognize that we also have mental limitations that we also cannot exceed.
YES. Happens to me frequently.

We all have physical limitations that we cannot exceed. It is only right to recognize that we also have mental limitations that we also cannot exceed.
YES. Happens to me frequently.

I have been having some major motivation issues the past year. I also have a pattern where I will get really absorbed, almost obsessive about a project for a few days to a few weeks, but then after a point I get burned out. I've been depressed also because of some personal things the past year, so that doesn't help. But I think I have always had motivation problems, it's just worse when your emotional state is messed up. Also the thought of having multiple thing looming that need to be done seems unusually stressful to me.

Title says it all. Do you seem to lack motivation with things/projects or have trouble ever finishing them?

For me, I can get very good ideas for drawings or animations but never actually finish them, sometimes I can't even bring myself to start anything! There are some things I can finish though, such as writing my novel or whatever. I guess it does depend on how much something interests me, but it really is kind of annoying.

Yes, I too struggle with this, even with my special interests but I think this is really more having to do with the depression than anything else. Do you have depression?

Yes I'm the same i have a box full of ideas but haven't got around to finishing them yet, it dosnt help that i keep changing my mind... I annoy myself and don't understand myself even

Yes i definetally have motivation issues. I'm either super motivated to the point i'll stay up half the night working on it (usually a hobby of mine) or i'll ignore it up till the last minute just because i have no interest in it. I like writing but nothing is ever finished for this exact reason, i both gain and lose interest very quickly.

Same problem, yes. Could have a ton of energy and motivation or no energy at all. And even when there is motivation, one little thing could kill it completely, e.g. something upsetting me. Then life is over and there is no point in doing anything. I tend to give up abruptly. And millions of ideas buzzing like crazy is also everyday life.

Yeah, that's me. I'll be completely invested in a hobby, and then suddenly drop it. I get stuck on ideas I never try to realize. Or I can procrastinate, and in the last minute be full of interest and energy. I've got a bunch of unfinished drawings and projects.

It just depends on the subject/project in question, really. I do experience motivational problems in a lot of situations, though, for what it's worth.

Sometimes

It comes down to wether I can force myself to become interested in something, if I manage to do that then I'm Ok.
But if not its a struggle and very mundane

New Threads

Top Bottom