• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have any disorders that are linked with Asperger's Syndrome?

Re: Do you have any disorders that are linked with asperger's?

Asperger's syndrome has no effect on one's immune system.

There's plenty of reseach showing that Autistic individuals have higher than average immune responses. A five second google search come up with this example...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2770268/

Also, histamine can prevent the release of serotonin and it's widely accepted that serotonin is implicated in Autism.

That's a pretty interesting point, i'm allergic to multiple things, i'm allergic to dogs,cats,horses,rabbits,pollen, i have many symptoms, such as asthma,allergic conjunctivus,hay fever,hives and runny nose and so on.

I read one of my aspergers books, I've got loads because I'm really into them, it says that having a low immune system is linked with apergers syndrome.

In addition to Asperger's, I've also been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and OCD. All three of them are being treated with medication, and my quality of life has improved enormously.

I suffer from Anxiety and depression as well... again currently being treated by medication

I have major depression and social anxiety disorder, which started around age 13. I attempted suicide once and have been hospitalized for suicidal ideation about five times. I'm on anti-depressants. I think I actually got put on the right ones about four months ago, have been feeling much better compared to where I was.

I was diagnosed with ADD at age 7, dysthima in my 20s, depression in my 30s. I have recently come to realize that many of the symptoms that I have associated with depression are actually an Asperger means of coping with anxiety. Spending days at a time with my nose in a book, lack of interest in socializing, etc. are actually my ways of coping with stress, not depression, as I don't feel "down" at all. I simply want to withdraw from the world in order to regain my equilibrium.

Also, I had a few seizures in my early 20s. Drs couldn't find a cause and they went away on their own. Odd. Had to take phenobarbital for those. I've been prescribed nearly every antidepressant I've ever heard of, and I'm or convinced that I need them at this point in my life. My Psych. wants to "wait and see".

I was diagnosed with ADD at age 7, dysthima in my 20s, depression in my 30s. I have recently come to realize that many of the symptoms that I have associated with depression are actually an Asperger means of coping with anxiety. Spending days at a time with my nose in a book, lack of interest in socializing, etc. are actually my ways of coping with stress, not depression, as I don't feel "down" at all. I simply want to withdraw from the world in order to regain my equilibrium.

Also, I had a few seizures in my early 20s. Drs couldn't find a cause and they went away on their own. Odd. Had to take phenobarbital for those. I've been prescribed nearly every antidepressant I've ever heard of, and I'm or convinced that I need them at this point in my life. My Psych. wants to "wait and see".

While I haven't been diagnosed with dysthimia, I've been to therapists quite a lot cause of depressions. During the sessions with my last therapist who diagnosed me, she even said that depression kicks in with me as soon as I have to cope with anything that's not... well... in my particular interest. By that logic my therapist pretty much stated that if I were to have a job, I really need a job I care for and should be a perfect match to compliment my personality and ASD, otherwise I'm visiting the revolving door and being at the therapists office more than at my job. So in a way, a depression is the way of coping with the stress that comes with "normal life".

While I haven't been diagnosed with dysthimia, I've been to therapists quite a lot cause of depressions. During the sessions with my last therapist who diagnosed me, she even said that depression kicks in with me as soon as I have to cope with anything that's not... well... in my particular interest. By that logic my therapist pretty much stated that if I were to have a job, I really need a job I care for and should be a perfect match to compliment my personality and ASD, otherwise I'm visiting the revolving door and being at the therapists office more than at my job. So in a way, a depression is the way of coping with the stress that comes with "normal life".

Hmmm...sounds like two sides of the same coin. So, what sort of job might you truly care for? Just wondering.

Hmmm...sounds like two sides of the same coin. So, what sort of job might you truly care for? Just wondering.

To be honest, nothing... I'm mostly to occupied pursuing personal interests and goals. One of those goals still is writing a novel of sorts, alongside illustration and music to make it a multimedia project. That's something that I can easily spend 24 hours on without sleep. Thus yeah, I do care for that, but I don't think it's really a worthwhile profession in the sense that being "an artist" does really give one decent future perspective.

And that's kinda were it becomes a big conundrum for the job center. They know I'm seeing/have been seeing a therapist and there might be a serious diagnosis onboard for me (which there now officially is). They also know that if anything I'm in the category of High functioning autism, so they can't put me at a place between low functioning people (I've been there... I ended up near suicidal... within a week), and that was before a diagnosis. My therapist (and actually the employment center as well) is aware what keeps me busy, and that I'm actually not being depressed and not doing things. I'm working crafts, even if they're not commercially viable for the time being, I'm at least somehow working a skill/portfolio of sorts. The most interesting tidbit here is that I don't even care for the skills I have to do those things. Yes, I can create pretty pictures with software, but to be honest, I don't care about using that program, I care about using it as a tool to visualize something. I don't "doodle" around.

Also, and that's something that might be added in. I'm really in need of lots and lots of time for myself. And lots as in; weeks to just do MY things. Yes, sometimes I don't go out for days (only for groceries), I hate distractions of any sort and I keep social interaction to a minimum. Yes, I do have a girlfriend, but she lives over 100 miles from me, so it's long distance and that works fine for me. I see her once a week (or once every 2 weeks), so I have lots of time... and still I'm skipping sleep cause I feel like I have to do stuff. (of course I could be on this board less ;) but I don't think that's the case).

So in the sense of "what do you care for?" I care for me and my personal goals. Nothing more, nothing less.

Isn't depression, by definition, a catalyst for change? My depression is what got me running (doin 10k's now whoop whoop!) and convinced me to re-enroll in school. However, I do also suffer from Seasonal Depressive Anxiety Disorder, which means I'm about catatonic between December and March. I've never been on Antidepressants due to my fear of man-tampered medications. Despite this, I feel like the me of today is a mountain compared to the shadow of yesterday.

My point being, maybe instead of using drugs to bury depression, find the triggers and remedy them accordingly. I realize it's probably easier to shave an angry cat, but with some determination and moxie, it can be done.

i suffer from mild depression, general anxiety that started in kindergarten, social anxiety, insomnia, obssesive compulsive disorder started age eleven and a half, was extremely hyper in my twenties and thirties but lost the energy because i'm tired all the time now, and terrible motor skills.

oops, forgot attention deflection disorder.

oops, forgot attention deflection disorder.
(DIGRESSION ALERT, veering off-topic).
Hahaha! It is funny that you forgot that one. It is funny to me in the same way that an adult Asperger meet up group is. It seems funny that people who prefer not to participate in small talk get together to do just that. I am sure that they do not actually limit themselves to small talk IRL. There is actually a group in my area that meets once a month and I look forward to seeing what the group is like. I would like to meet another Aspie. I think that I have probably met a few of them in my life but at the time didn't understand why talking with them felt familiar or comfortable.

Yep. Well, I think theyre both associated with Asperger's. I have a fairly strong anxiety disorder that sometimes crosses into social anxiety. Thats the part of the Asperger's that I still can't manage. On top of that, I have a bit of small OCD tendencies. Not even close to official OCD, just small little organizational quirks. Before I turn off my truck or car I NEED to have the stereo volume at 12, just small things like that.

Yep. Well, I think theyre both associated with Asperger's. I have a fairly strong anxiety disorder that sometimes crosses into social anxiety. Thats the part of the Asperger's that I still can't manage. On top of that, I have a bit of small OCD tendencies. Not even close to official OCD, just small little organizational quirks. Before I turn off my truck or car I NEED to have the stereo volume at 12, just small things like that.

I share similar symptoms. Mainly it's certain people, places or situations that triggers my social anxiety. I don't know if it would constitute OCD but my friend informed me that I always pat my pant leg before shaking someone's hand or giving out knuck's (is that right?)

By far, Seasonal Depressive Anxiety Disorder is the most debilitation condition that I suffer from. It always ruins my holidays and probably stresses out my family a good bit too.

I suspect that I have Seasonal Affective Disorder, and Developmental Coordination Disorder as well.
I haven't been tested for these, but I do experience significant "winter blahs" and I was always the
last kid picked for games in Physical Education.

i've got ocd, general anxiety, mild depression without a reason, used to be hyperactive, and have a very short attention span. all those have to do with asperger, too, oh, and social phobias and slow processing.

oooooops, i forgot i already answered this. i'm so sorry, really. this is dumb. but sometimes the same questions keep popping up. sometimes i read the question, answer, and then look at the other answers, and now i see i've already answered it, damn.

New Threads

Top Bottom