• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you forget to do things?

At home I forget things like showering or eating. At work I have to write things down or all the information that my boss loads on me will just go right out the other ear.

When i become overwhelmed I forget things. I often get home and can't remember what I was supposed to do because I am trying to calm down after work.

I have the worst short term memory. I recently started a new job (retail) and 99% of my mistakes are due to my absent-mindedness. If anyone or thing distracts me I'll forget what I was doing, like giving someone their change then I have to reopen the cash register. Also, I don't remember people at all. So far at least once a day, because I don't recognize someone who'd just spoke to me 10 minutes prior something gets messed up and they get mad. It might have something to do with the atmosphere (it's bright and noisy) and that I'm supposed to be paying attention to two dozen things other than what I'm actually doing which I can't. Outside of work, I spend probably 70% of my time trying to remember what I was doing. It's annoying, especially because I can recite historic dates and interesting facts all day. (Also, I can never find something that is right in front of me.)

My short-term memory often don't work properly. My parents often complains about my memory as I often say them: "Yes, I do" on their request but can forget this in the next second (especially when I busy with my obsession - so "Yes, I do" must be interpreted as "Do not disturb") - so now I prefer to have a pack of stickers on my desktop and write all incoming information immediately to not forget it. I also can forget even essential things - such as eating and have a remind on my desktop: "Don't forget to eat at 15-00 and 20-00". Also when being in a noisy environment I couldn't understand the request but automatically say: "Yes, I do".

Fortunately I can finish even complex tasks - but often with a long delay (sometimes extremely long) and if such tasks were carefully planned.

Last edited:
All the time. I forget to eat. I forget to use the bathroom. I walk downstairs to get something and before I'm halfway down the stairs I've forgotten what it was. I forget to give people their receipts at work. I forget to take my laundry out of the washer. I go to the store for almond milk and forget to get it when I arrive. I forget to turn down the air conditioner when I leave.

The list goes on and on.

I used to have a problem at this store I worked in. On the floor was one kind of lighting, music, smells, and one kind of flooring. Then I'd walk through the employees only door and it's different light, smells, appearance, and floor, and for some reason opening the door and crossing that line just erased my short term memory. I'd have to be saying out loud to myself what I was going back there for while I went through the doorway or I would completely forget, and just stand in the back room waiting for it to come back to me.

wyverary said:
All the time. I forget to eat. I forget to use the bathroom. I walk downstairs to get something and before I'm halfway down the stairs I've forgotten what it was. I forget to give people their receipts at work. I forget to take my laundry out of the washer. I go to the store for almond milk and forget to get it when I arrive. I forget to turn down the air conditioner when I leave.

Sounds like me. I say myself that I must to do something but I completely forgot what after short walk through the hallway.

Another thing. One time father asked me to buy him a chicken broth. I went to the shop and returned with the broth - but with the beef broth. Father got nervous and asked me again. I went to the shop and returned again - but with the mushroom broth. Then my father became quite angry and screamed on me that I must listen directly to him and throwed the pack of a broth to the wall. After this I got a mild stress but I went to the shop again and finally bouth him a chicken broth.

The same thing happened when my mother asked me to buy a loaf of bread but I returned from the shop with the pack of the soap.

Last edited:
I forget things all the time. laundry in the machine, to pay a bill or go grocery shopping. So I make lists, and then a master lists of those lists. I set reminders on my phone, my computer, mark things on a calender, and on occasion will make a note on my hand. Other times I am too absorbed in my work and forget. Ah well, that is when technology helps. Phones that buzz and ding annoyingly help.

My memory is quite bad, my thoughts seem to be in a constant whirl, just putting the remote down often results in me looking about frantically wondering where it went. I feel so confused sometimes as everything in my head seems disjointed with only bits coming though (on a youtube video on meltdowns the guy describes his thoughts like a spinning disc and you have to grab the thoughts as they go by, sounds a good description to me).

If I get distracted I can forget what I was doing. If I am doing some thing intensive or strenuous I can forget to breath.
Breath holding is a bad one for me.

If I get distracted I can forget what I was doing. If I am doing some thing intensive or strenuous I can forget to breath.
Breath holding is a bad one for me.

I do something similar, but it involves my tongue being poked out and a fair bit of laughter from my family o_O lol

It make carrying a heavy load awkward for me, I tend to gas my self by not breathing. Getting light headed is the side effect of it
If I am moving the cursor one pixel can have a similar effect. As with some of my drawing work.

I often go to do something, walk three or four steps, and have no idea what I meant to do. If I just stop and give it a few seconds, it comes back to me. There was a period in my life (before my sleep disorder was diagnosed) when I would have had no idea what you were talking about by the time you finished your sentence. If you are having trouble sleeping it can really affect all aspects of your life, so get help. Trust me, it makes a world of difference.

yea i do it also i always forget to do my chores in time and small stuff like this even my laundry i forget it that y my iphone comes in handy i uses it to remind me about the stuff i know i forget

It seems there are multiple types of memory: Long term memory, short term memory, stuff you have to do memory...

My long term memory is quite good. Short term memory is not so good. Especially if I'm distracted right as I need to recall something.

I've started making lists... It helps a lot with remembering to do things. The dishes, shaving, wiping shelf etc all make the list sometimes, depending on my stress level for the day. Doing something straight away if it takes less than two minutes helps a lot too. I tend to start a task and then get distracted too, then neglect to do the rest as I am short of time.

I always remember to do things that are part of my everyday routine, but if I need to do something that isn't, I'll have to make an effort to remember.

New Threads

Top Bottom