• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you forget to do things?

Kit

Sometimes when I get so focused in what I am doing like the computer, I forget to eat. I have forgotten to shower too and not go to bed and it be real late when I finally do them.

I forget to do things so much that I sometimes feel like the "high functioning" part of HFA is a misnomer in my case.

Yes. I forget to shower, use the restroom, sleep (I don't go to bed till 2, 3 or even 4 AM), and take my medication. No wonder my parents don't like leaving me alone for long periods of time... :S

I always tend to forget to budget at times which is a really bad thing, like this week for example.

I've literally spent ?40 in just one week, its not a good thing at all.

Yes, I forget to do lots of things at times. I don't forget to eat. :D Unless I am too focused on work and stuff, but my stomach wins the battle after the third hour. lol

I do forgot other things, like calling people, doing household things.

Aw shoot... I gotta check the snail mail! >_<;

All the time. I'm very forgetful. To sit here and list every single thing that I forget to do would be too time-consuming. :/

I thought of a load of things that I normally forget, but I forgot them! LOL

When I am focused on something then I do forget to eat and stuff. It took me a week to edit my GCSE Media project and I pretty much forgot how to look after myself for that week. I literally sat there working non stop until I fell asleep in my chair. I would wake up later on and carry on working from where I left off. I certainly didn't eat much either.

Although I do forget to do things sometimes, I think the bigger issue for me is remembering if I have already done something on that specific day. "Have I already ate today? hmmmm..."

Yes!
I find that:

I forget to do things unless I make a list.
I forget to add things to the list.
I forget to look at the list to find out what I need to do.
I forget to take the list with me wherever I go.

forget anything uninteresting that's not nailed to my head. Can remember everything that interests me with total recall.

I use to forget many things.

I found that if I don't procrastinate and do things as soon as I know I need to do them, and use the pim (personal information manager, with calendar and alarms) on my mobile phone, then I rarely forget anything. Technology is wonderful.

Executive dysfunction is pretty common on the spectrum. I think it can manifest itself as described in this thread. Also, in my case, it can mean being late for school/work/whatever far too often.

Like getting ready to go out. I tell my 5 year old son to do something like find his shoes and he runs around in circles, gets confused, then sits down and watches TV again. We virtually have to chase him around the house sometimes just to put his clothes and shoes on him, then there is a huge drama because he wants to bring all his favourite toys to the supermarket with him. My NT daughter, 20 months old, will go and get her shoes without being prompted, sit down on my knee, offer each foot in turn, then go and get my shoes and try to help me put them on. Then when she feels like she is ready she will push her stroller over to the door, climb in, and wait for us to get her brother ready so we can go out.

I think it's more a case of me putting things off or getting sidetracked that makes me forget.

Looking at the last posting date on this thread, I think I resurrected it a bit. Oh well..

Zombiethread

Brainssssssssssssssss!

I rarely forget stuff, but then again... if I have something on my mind I usually act to do so right away. It's one of the liberties one has when you don't have a job, no obligations and lots of time.

I too can become totally immersed in what I'm doing and it isn't rare for me to forget to eat or take a shower or use the toilet. It doesn't happen as often now as it did when I was younger but I'll still have days where I'm at the computer for hours on end and before I know it I realise the day is almost out and I haven't even changed out of my pyjamas. I remember that when I was 9 I became obsessed with the Mario Kart: Double Dash game for the Gamecube to the point where I'd get up early on school days just so I could squeeze in an hour or so playing it before school and then switch it back on the moment I came home. During that period I was constantly being reminded that I needed to take a bath or that I hadn't eaten; my parents must have been glad when that gaming obsession finally began to ease off. :lol2:

I've got that problem as well. I can forget where I am sometimes and things I need to do. Like take a shower, brush my teeth and eat. But what I'm doing is sooo interesting, I can't stop.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. :)

There are times when I'm so focused on what I'm doing that I forget or procrastinate everything else.
Hours go by and I haven't eaten anything all day, forgot to do the chores... sometimes I forget to sleep, too. I can spend the whole night awake without noticing.

Yes, I have an ADHD diagnosis as well. People often think I'm high because I space out and forget.
If I'm cleaning a room, I'll end up with an extremely tidy jewelry box or closet and the rest of the room is still trashed 3 hours later.

New Threads

Top Bottom