• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you dance?

Greening

Something I appreciate a lot is dancing. And by dancing I just mean moving in whatever way I feel like to music or even without music. Sometimes I can sense that it releases pent up energy, and I think this has to do with autism, but since it is all me, I just do it, because it feels good. It is basically free medicine and a celebration of being alive.

So, do you dance? And do you dance enough, if so?

Yes I do - I can't not happy dance sometimes if I'm happy (happy dance just means to dance because of happiness), but also like to just move to music, because it feels nice :) If it is enough... my family thinks it's plenty :)

Yes I do - I can't not happy dance sometimes if I'm happy (happy dance just means to dance because of happiness), but also like to just move to music, because it feels nice :) If it is enough... my family thinks it's plenty :)
As long as we do not have a new outburst of dance mania like the ones happening between the 14th and 17th century, I think we are good. :) Dancing mania - Wikipedia

Something I appreciate a lot is dancing. And by dancing I just mean moving in whatever way I feel like to music or even without music. Sometimes I can sense that it releases pent up energy, and I think this has to do with autism, but since it is all me, I just do it, because it feels good. It is basically free medicine and a celebration of being alive.

So, do you dance? And do you dance enough, if so?
No. I can recall dancing on three occasions in the past 55 years.

As long as we do not have a new outburst of dance mania like the ones happening between the 14th and 17th century, I think we are good. :) Dancing mania - Wikipedia
Ahhh haven’t thought about this in forever! Triv: this is how we get the name for Tarantellas, a style of classical dance tune. OP. 6 Saint-Saëns is the oft-cited one (and if you like woodwinds it’s on flames tbf)

Also, as a Pagan I can’t help but notice a similarity to certain reported instances of tarantism and Beltane ritual fire dances (especially the leaping across bonfires part…)

Atm when at home I do beginner belly dance by following videos online (alone!!!! In my room!!!! Where I cannot be perceived!!!). Though it’s technically low impact and low results as workouts go (it won’t get you ripped like say ninja workouts), I enjoy it and usually feel more connected to my body after a routine. Some say that learning it can trigger a kind of second spiritual adolescence via chakras opening, maybe there’s something to that.

Though I wish that I had more natural talent and started different types of dance training as a kid, because I so admire how modern dancers can move—alas, my mum only let me bike and swim as a child & teenager, and I was horrible at school sports. all kids should get an opportunity to try dance and see if they like it, it’s a powerful somatic tool and brilliant for self-expression.

I can tap my feet, hands, head, to music, but that's about as far as it goes. I enjoy all kinds of music to listen to it, but no dancing.

I don't have the physical coordination to rhythmically move my upper and lower extremities at the same time. I think I did have a few years in middle and high school where I would go to dances and had "a few moves", or so I thought, but by the time I was in my 20's it was simply embarrassing, so I just gave up on it. I've even tried aerobics classes, but I couldn't even begin to keep up with the class. It was a total disaster.

I have 3 left feet and no discernible sense of rhythm. I dance as naturally as doing calculus in my head. After 2 or 3 dance lessons, my wife said we didn't need to keep putting me through that.

One charming, crazy man did something to me and I started dancing this last month pretty often. It's so not like me, yet maybe I didn't even know myself like that before I met him.

I can tap my feet, hands, head, to music, but that's about as far as it goes. I enjoy all kinds of music to listen to it, but no dancing.

I don't have the physical coordination to rhythmically move my upper and lower extremities at the same time. I think I did have a few years in middle and high school where I would go to dances and had "a few moves", or so I thought, but by the time I was in my 20's it was simply embarrassing, so I just gave up on it. I've even tried aerobics classes, but I couldn't even begin to keep up with the class. It was a total disaster.
What about dancing alone, when no one watches? Just switching on the music which makes you do that and giving it a try, maybe it can make you laugh, feel embarrassed or just enjoy those rare moments. :)

I have 3 left feet and no discernible sense of rhythm. I dance as naturally as doing calculus in my head. After 2 or 3 dance lessons, my wife said we didn't need to keep putting me through that.
Truth be told dancing lessons can be draining because they teach you dancing in a specific way, which you maybe don't like or understand. Dancing should be coming from the actual wish and maybe even need to do it yourself in any way you can, and if you feel like improving, then that's just the next step. :)

Well, I don't think it's enough! Really wish I could see that, actually, those "happy dances" of yours sound ultra adorable, as I already told you once :)

I have made efforts before. I have decent balance and agility, but I don't know that I would call it dancing, still. Maybe call it, "wiggling without faceplanting or busting my rear."

Now, if we're talking about at home...alone. My dogs have seen some likely awful moves of mine. Also, my kids when younger, if they were against the kitchen counter grabbing a cup or such, they would at times turn back around to me Ninja twerk attacking them...they'd groan or scream and run away, etc.

I have made efforts before. I have decent balance and agility, but I don't know that I would call it dancing, still. Maybe call it, "wiggling without faceplanting or busting my rear."

Now, if we're talking about at home...alone. My dogs have seen some likely awful moves of mine. Also, my kids when younger, if they were against the kitchen counter grabbing a cup or such, they would at times turn back around to me Ninja twerk attacking them...they'd groan or scream and run away, etc.
AHAHAHA sorry but I need to know how to ninja twerk attack someone now, cause it sounds too good to not put that on my CV

They go up to the counter / cabinets...you sneak up behind them (back to back)...and you just get to twerking but not touching them...so when they turn around, they are completely caught off guard and freaking out. It's my right as a dad to have done this. I'm holding to that claim.

My most traumatizing event in my young life was in 5th grade when my school decided that we would learn square dancing for one quarter year and have a public performance at the end. Participation was mandatory.
I have always been very touch averse and square dancing meant holding hands with multiple people, doing intricate movements accompanied by loud music, someone talking over the music, and all the visual chaos of seeing the movement of all the other dancers.
I had to dissociate to function at all, and my teacher verbally critcised me for "moving like a robot". As the public performance approached, the dread of an impending audience was overwhelming.
A day or two before the performance, I came down with a severe flu. There was nothing going around at the time. I was an isolated case according to the family doctor. My teacher "had to" come see me to make sure I was actually sick and wasn't trying to duck out of dancing. I was just thankful for the miracle that got me out of it. The only time I was ever glad to be ill.

I’ve always enjoyed dancing, but I’ve never had lessons. When I was little I probably made funny looking moves. I tried imitating moves when I got to grade school. When I was 10 or 11, I would play my records when I was alone and make up dances to the songs. I think I learned some other moves when I got older. In recent years people have said I dance well.

The thing is that dance moves get old fast. I probably looked behind the times doing the disco moves I learned when I was in second grade later when I was 15.

I attended a virtual dance party during the pandemic when I was 49, and I found I couldn’t dance for long periods anymore. I had to sit down a few times.

Nevar! I have no sense of what a proper dance is supposed to look like, I look like a disaster when I play music, however, I do have some notion of what music is supposed to sound like, so guess which one I'm going to vastly prefer to do?

I dance and love to dance. My favorite of all dancing is swing dancing to big band music. I also belly dance and contra dance. Dancing brings me to a whole other level of experience.

Dancing is one of my all-time favorite things to do! I was a jumpy kid, but hid my jumpy moves because my mother was a kill joy sort of person towards me, a lot of the time, but in year 5 we had a disco at school and my mum (kindly, which wasn't her usual) bought me some electric blue spandex disco pants and I thought I was Uber Cool! I danced the night away and I thought I was the coolest (this from a kid who usually wanted to dissappear into the floor and mostly tried to be one of those timid creatures who freezes in the hopes that I appeared invisable).

Fast forward to being a homeless, near-mute, traumatized autistic 16 yr old girl, 1000's of miles away from my family. I discovered that I couldn't not-dance to my (now ex's) band, I became his first groupie and later joined the band as his back up singer (long story, I could barely talk to people but I had to survive, somehow) so I, pretty much used my moves to connect with people in a way that I could not, verbally.

I have danced a lot, in my time. I learnt some technique; strangely, I incorporate the styles of belly dancing and Australian indigenous dance styles into my moves. The band I was in, with my kid's dad was a reggae band, so I have very cool (yet very autistic. you may think that's an oxymoron, but I assure you some people think my style is very cool and awesome, coz they've told me so) moves.

Unfortunately my new partner (of 14 yr now, so not so new) gets pretty embarrassed by my moves. He is also autistic and gets uncomfortable with the attention I draw, so I haven't been dancing enough since I'm with him. I did get to go to a brilliant rave festival with my oldest son and dance a lot, early last year, but, unfortunately, I suffered extreme and severe burnout as a result of going and haven't been up to much since. I did bust some moves today though, in my living room, as I'm determined to get out on the dance floor much more than I have of late, from here on. I've discovered that if I don't dance and sing, regularly, to express my joy, I get very sad and despondent. I think I'm a good dancer. albeit unusual and autistic in my style, because I am autistic and didn't really know how to connect with people when I was a younger woman, even though in my soul and spirit, I really wanted to, so I used my body language via my moves on the dance floor and my singing on stage, to do so.

Now that I'm no longer a working performance artist, I'm struggling to interface with the world and need support workers to assist me (I am diagnosed with ASD2 and ADHD, combined types) but, fortunately, I am approved for a support package that I will use to help me get out and dance and sing in public again, now that all my 7 children are grown.

Edit; Oh I forgot that I learn some African style with a teacher too, so although I'm fairly horrible at choreographed dance, I do incorporate African style moves and movement grooves into my own, personal movement/dance style.

Last edited:
Poorly!

When I was in my 20s probably better.

Funny thing is that in 6th grade, I won a "worst dancer" in a mandatory 6th grade class dancing contest. That hurt so much I didn't dance again until senior prom. In my frosh year in college I took a modern dance class, I think it helped, but I did not belong there. I was surrounded by very graceful coeds, all wanting to be the next Isadora, who gave me the suspicious eye.

I had the strength and flexibility. The problem is that I have no rhythm and poor coordination.

New Threads

Top Bottom