• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do people underestimate you?

Adding a little bit more backstory..
This hasn't just been me, but it also happens with my brother as well. He actually has good posture and a good loud clear voice. Speaks very well, in English at least.

Growing up I had always thought they treated me this way because of him, because his autistic traits were far more apparent than mine and I was able to mask better but now I realize it was unfair to blame him and it was me all along. I don't see the same thing happening to other females around me, so I know it's not because I'm a woman. At my old job, I don't recall being patronized and talked down to although I saw other women being victims to such.

I'm thinking combo of bad posture, poor eye contact, mediocre social skills and a high dose of the rumor mill is the culprit. Because often I'll meet people for the first time and they still treat me the same way, without knowing anything about me. Some have even inadvertedly revealed they've "heard" things about me and then surprised to learn it isn't true. It's hard to explain. But they always seem amused at the prospect of talking to someone who is "lower" on the social register than they are.

Last edited:
Hence i advocate that us with this or that diagnose NEED to be open about this rather then trying to mask and believe were able to fool them as i would dare to say we are not. in most cases we have already or is already sticking out as unusual.

If you feel you being treated badly you need to dare to take this up to you're co worker's in a calm and friendly way & if they don't want to then its time to speak to the boss. Im fully aware of the risk of negative complications and all that BUT that's a one of the big problems we have that to many feels they cant reveal our diagnosis as we fear complications. What you actually describing going on at you're job is work bullying and its you're boss job to get this sorted if you're co workers don't want to or cant understand

Quote Lady S said I'm thinking combo of bad posture, poor eye contact, mediocre social skills and a high dose of the rumor mill is the culprit. Quote

NON of this is even remotely acceptable as reason for you to be treated poorly . And NOONE should have to get this treatment be it on the job or otherwise .

Last edited:
People do underestimate me, but I believe that is more due to the fact that I'm quiet about my abilities/achievements, unlike others that I work with who seem to crave the attention and boast about everything that they do.

A lot of people get misread by others. I don't think I'm consistently underestimated; I just like to try to get along.

New Threads

Top Bottom