• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Digestive issues

8crismon

Concept machine
A few years back I found out that we folks don't have a strand of good bacteria that our digestive tracts need to work properly. Which is part of the reason for the constipation that is experienced. I have to order a special probiotic from Amazon. It helped a lot, but I keep forgetting to eat properly. What are your experiences with this?

"...children with autism tend to have a different microbiome makeup compared to children not on the spectrum. But it’s never been clear whether this divergence in gut flora is a cause or an effect. Now, a new paper in the journal Cell argues for the latter: The difference stems from the kids’ eating behaviors, and may be a consequence, not the cause, of their symptoms."

I don't have digestion issues, never have.
Does that mean I don't have autism?
Like with almost everything else, this is not absolute. I don't know much about this particular thing, but the way I understand it, digestive issues seem to be somewhat more common among autists - however, many autists don't have digestive issues.

It would be like saying "I don't have coeliac's disease because I'm not iron-deficient". Many people with coeliac's are iron-deficient, but you can still have coeliac's and not be iron-deficient.

Like with almost everything else, this is not absolute. I don't know much about this particular thing, but the way I understand it, digestive issues seem to be somewhat more common among autists - however, many autists don't have digestive issues.

It would be like saying "I don't have coeliac's disease because I'm not iron-deficient". Many people with coeliac's are iron-deficient, but you can still have coeliac's and not be iron-deficient.
Oh okay, it's just with all this talk about gut issues causing autism it sounds like you can't have one without the other.

I use fenugreek herb capsules (1 per day). They are cheep, readily available, and work pretty well for me.

Maybe try them for a week, see if they help.

A lot of modern Western diets are notoriously absent of necessary fiber. It's the main reason why laxatives are so common. Eat a diet rich in fiber including things like: beans, lots of vegetables, whole grains like oats and fermented veg like kraut and kim chi and drinking healthy fluids and you won't be worried about constipation; instead your body will demand to go to the bathroom. Think of meats as an addition if desired rather than the main feature of a meal. Eggs are great sources of protein as well.

Another advantage to a diet rich in things like I describe above is that meals made from basics like that are far more cost effective than processed foods, frozen foods, fast food or restaurant food. And you simply feel better eating basic healthy foods.

Last edited:
The microbial biome in your body depends on how regimented your diet is, in my case if this changes slightly it changes resulting in the runs a few days later. The more diverse the diet the more diverse the biome.

Chronic constipation my whole life. I have coeliac disease and Ehlers Danlos Syndrone so bowel dousn’t work well. It’s the worst part dysautonomia. I get plenty of fibre (I go out of my way to eat since gluten free food is very low in fibre usually) eat a balance diet been to dietician and even she agreed. I am on 4 different laxatives daily. Previously had bowel obstruction.

There is an Indian after-dinner mix that are served after dinner, the way we, in the US , would get a mint. A large percentage of this mix is fenugreek. It tastes delicious. I have not found it for sale. Only had it in Indian restaurants.

Well, apparently I have done autistic digestion properly. I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome decades before my autism diagnosis.

I'm one of those with many digestives issues. I do ok being careful with food, which for me means cooking most of my meals, avoiding processed food as much as possible, and not eating too much.

Probiotics usually make things worse for me. I do eat yogurt and other fermented foods. I used to ferment my own food.

Yep, digestive issues here. Colic as a baby, terrible and painful gut issues right through childhood, which continued through adulthood. I eat a lot of vegetable matter, avoid toxic plant oils, ingest ginger constantly, have to watch sugar and processed foods; them, and too much wheat products all bode badly for me.
I'm on a herbal mix for "constipation" I remember it has turmeric in it but not the other ingredients, off the top of my head but I can, just not now,
, it's too late and I'm too tired.

A lot of modern Western diets are notoriously absent of necessary fiber. It's the main reason why laxatives are so common. Eat a diet rich in fiber including things like: beans, lots of vegetables, whole grains like oats and fermented veg like kraut and kim chi and drinking healthy fluids and you won't be worried about constipation; instead your body will demand to go to the bathroom. Think of meats as an addition if desired rather than the main feature of a meal. Eggs are great sources of protein as well.

Another advantage to a diet rich in things like I describe above is that meals made from basics like that are far more cost effective than processed foods, frozen foods, fast food or restaurant food. And you simply feel better eating basic healthy foods.
Pls don't generalise so much about the west as there are different cultures. Eating fish was common place in some snow regions not just due to coastal towns. Some of west eats meat and some still prefer fish.

Milk of magnesia is good for constipation, some reckon glutton free helps with type of digestive microbes for asd.
So I don't eat pasta or noodles making me healthier than most Asians who eat noodles more often than rice. I don't eat bread even if it's rye
I eat only natural starches like potatoes and rice.

Without farming even if you lived vegetarian farm you have more food available and not eat a natural hunter diet of starving til you found food, or eating only what found as available so obesity isn't just derived from snacks n junk food but because didn't burn enough carbs to travel to get bananas from other island.
Also practice since we never colonised or used slaves to pride oneself in work and to work hard each day contributing to calorie burning.

But we are not majority and most land was occupied and overpopulated so ....so as exclusion to western culture I'm a west-wick witch

Senna tea was originally for eating too many mince samoosas!!
Interesting concept but if Japanese companies are subject to legally measure employees weight and force them to attend gym then discipline isn't a natural instinct in this culture. Like Germans it's borrowing from collective conscience cloud and implementing a rigid dictatorship doctrine to try fulfill prophecy when indeed we all just humans.
So new Olympic sport introduced (you don't say) but let's split this into 2 categories those who used personal trainers and those simply gifted beyond words (but hyper individualistic not for common good) we could furthermore say opposite of mixed martial arts is art that is unique and not occuring in another arts...this way we can better judge the tournament otherwise to defeat opponent he'd have to mix karate with judo and that isn't pure!!!

Pls don't generalise so much about the west as there are different cultures. Eating fish was common place in some snow regions not just due to coastal towns. Some of west eats meat and some still prefer fish.

I state in my same post you reference that I'm referring to diets high in "processed foods, frozen foods, fast food or restaurant food." Different cultures have nothing to do with it. A person in the U.S. from Middle Eastern, African, Mexican descent who eats primarily processed foods, frozen processed foods, fast food or restaurant food is going to have digestive issues including constipation compared to a person, regardless of their culture, who eats the unprocessed natural foods I also mention in the same post.

New Threads

Top Bottom