• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Daria, bones, and other seemingly aspie stars you relate to

Hey there guys, don't forget about Mr. Monk, Sheldon (which is a little too mainstream i think but anyways) and of course maaany characters off the Gilmore Girls series.

I don't feel comfortable seeing autistic characters that are scripted over the top-weird,-unfriendly or psychopath. Im glad that the tv starts to pick up the topic slowly, but its still typical media behaviour. I like that the characters in Gilmore Girls are portrayed in a friendly, sometimes awkward but yet loveable way :)

Hows your impression of media portraying aspies and other?

P.S. Dee317, i had these problems but i mostly ignore it. When i change focus i can hear the sounds though. Its really funny but sometimes i rage anyways:blush:
My boyfriend compares me to Sherlock and Monk all the time. Now that we know I am an Aspie, he says it makes so much sense.

Do you also have auditory sensory problems? I can't focus on 2 sounds at a time. such as, 2 people talking. The sound of pots and pans being shuffled around can send me into a rage, I can also hear the power lines hhhhhuuummmm, everyone tells me I'm crazy for that one, but I really can.

My dad has an old cathode ray tv. Whenever its on I hear this high pitched white noise. It drives me insane.

Yes I do. :) I used to be able to hear the music being played in the community college common room opposite my house as a kid, and memorise it from that (the common room was at the other end of the campus so a good 200 yards away). I used to also be able to hear power lines and the telephone lines and the poles for the streetlights. Thankfully these days in the uk all of our cables run deep underground but the little electricity cupboard on the street I can here it. In my old apartment I could always hear a strange buzzing I never figured out what it was and it really annoyed me but thinking about it, it was probably the electric and water meter cupboard that was opposite our front door. I get woken by very small sounds outside too but can't wear earplugs or I don't wake up for the alarm. Its strange as when it comes to speech I have auditory processing problems, its like my brain cannot process speech properly unless it is extremely loud, clear slow and accompanied by no background noise whatsoever.
Adding my voice to the chorus (but not in a manner that would make it harder for us all to understand).
I hear the electric meter, along with shining lightbulbs and what seems to be the mere sound of power ports with a charger plugged in. Sometimes I feel like my life is set to the tune of every possible buzzing sound.
Can't make out a darn word if someone talks to me with a background sound, e.g. TV or a radio.
My new upstairs neighbor apparently put their phone on the hardwood floor. I can hear the vibrations when his alarm goes off, I'm trying to find how to bring that up without sounding like a complete crazy, controlling person.

As for the original topic, I don't think I've ever seen theories floating around of that character having Asperger's, and I wouldn't make that assertion myself, but I would watch Grey's Anatomy strictly for Yang. I could identify with the no-nonsense bluntness, but that's probably about all I found to have in common.
And yeah, I liked Bones in the first few seasons. After they introduced that storyline where she had a baby, though, not so much.

New Threads

Top Bottom