• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Daria, bones, and other seemingly aspie stars you relate to

Dee317

Where ever you go, there you are.
My father always told me that I was Daria from the show on MTV. I am just understanding why. What TV characters have you related to, knowing or not knowing that they has Aspie traits.

Daria is a Aspie, no doubt about it. I liked watching that show because she is the female version of me at that age.

I cannot believe how I flew under the radar as an aspie until 32. To me now it is so clear, and obvious. My own father called me Daria, but at the same time, I didn't even know until my daughter was diagnosed.

Yep Daria. Btw I used to have a friend, one of my only good friends ever, who looked like Daria and spoke like her, her family thought this as well. Looking back now I do wonder if she was an Aspie. Sadly I lost touch with her, twelve or thirteen years ago.

I relate a lot to Saga Norén from the original version of The Bridge. Like her I also had a dysfunctional upbringing though nothing as dramatic or serious as hers; I also moved out on my own young like her. I can really relate to her asking inappropriate questions and being abrupt with people. Also the way she starts rearranging cupboards and bookshelves when upset, yep that's me. I don't speak quite as monotone as her, and I'm not as clever as her though.

bc4008b23fa8dbbd2aa97a2268f87529.jpg

Yep Daria. Btw I used to have a friend, one of my only good friends ever, who looked like Daria and spoke like her, her family thought this as well. Looking back now I do wonder if she was an Aspie. Sadly I lost touch with her, twelve or thirteen years ago.

I relate a lot to Saga Norén from the original version of The Bridge. Like her I also had a dysfunctional upbringing though nothing as dramatic or serious as hers; I also moved out on my own young like her. I can really relate to her asking inappropriate questions and being abrupt with people. Also the way she starts rearranging cupboards and bookshelves when upset, yep that's me. I don't speak quite as monotone as her, and I'm not as clever as her though.
I had a friend that was kind of like Jane, but she remained very dark in interests, I evolved over time to be less angry. I lost touch years ago.

Well, I was just watching the Invader Zim episode "Best Friends" and this line from Zim made me think of this thread:

"I would like to congratulate you, Keef, on a job well-done. You have been a most convincing friend. But now that the world seems satisfied with my knack for companionship I don't think I'll be requiring your services any longer. Our mission together is done--good job soldier!--be gone with you."

I've had times in my life when I was just like that, though mostly I related much better to Gir. I could kinda relate to most of the characters on the show in some way, though, which is very unusual.

I also watched Daria, but I don't remember it very well. I do want to go back and watch it again, though.

I think Bob Dylan is an aspie, my father always loved him, and as a child I always loved him out of all my dad's music. He is thought to be one, I wasn't surprised.
c6ba3d4d39eb3a5c5cceca1fcdb023cc.jpg

I think Bob Dylan is an aspie, my father always loved him, and as a child I always loved him out of all my dad's music. He is thought to be one, I wasn't surprised.
c6ba3d4d39eb3a5c5cceca1fcdb023cc.jpg
My dad too. He has everything he ever recorded including bootleg stuff (both officially released and not). There was a song on one of the bootleg albums that I liked and when I hummed it my dad didn't recognise it, that is because there are quieter in between notes and other instruments in the song that I hummed but that most people don't pick out.

My dad too. He has everything he ever recorded including bootleg stuff (both officially released and not). There was a song on one of the bootleg albums that I liked and when I hummed it my dad didn't recognise it, that is because there are quieter in between notes and other instruments in the song that I hummed but that most people don't pick out.
Do you also have auditory sensory problems? I can't focus on 2 sounds at a time. such as, 2 people talking. The sound of pots and pans being shuffled around can send me into a rage, I can also hear the power lines hhhhhuuummmm, everyone tells me I'm crazy for that one, but I really can.

Hey there guys, don't forget about Mr. Monk, Sheldon (which is a little too mainstream i think but anyways) and of course maaany characters off the Gilmore Girls series.

I don't feel comfortable seeing autistic characters that are scripted over the top-weird,-unfriendly or psychopath. Im glad that the tv starts to pick up the topic slowly, but its still typical media behaviour. I like that the characters in Gilmore Girls are portrayed in a friendly, sometimes awkward but yet loveable way :)

Hows your impression of media portraying aspies and other?

P.S. Dee317, i had these problems but i mostly ignore it. When i change focus i can hear the sounds though. Its really funny but sometimes i rage anyways:blush:

Do you also have auditory sensory problems? I can't focus on 2 sounds at a time. such as, 2 people talking. The sound of pots and pans being shuffled around can send me into a rage, I can also hear the power lines hhhhhuuummmm, everyone tells me I'm crazy for that one, but I really can.
Yes I do. :) I used to be able to hear the music being played in the community college common room opposite my house as a kid, and memorise it from that (the common room was at the other end of the campus so a good 200 yards away). I used to also be able to hear power lines and the telephone lines and the poles for the streetlights. Thankfully these days in the uk all of our cables run deep underground but the little electricity cupboard on the street I can here it. In my old apartment I could always hear a strange buzzing I never figured out what it was and it really annoyed me but thinking about it, it was probably the electric and water meter cupboard that was opposite our front door. I get woken by very small sounds outside too but can't wear earplugs or I don't wake up for the alarm. Its strange as when it comes to speech I have auditory processing problems, its like my brain cannot process speech properly unless it is extremely loud, clear slow and accompanied by no background noise whatsoever.

Yes I do. :) I used to be able to hear the music being played in the community college common room opposite my house as a kid, and memorise it from that (the common room was at the other end of the campus so a good 200 yards away). I used to also be able to hear power lines and the telephone lines and the poles for the streetlights. Thankfully these days in the uk all of our cables run deep underground but the little electricity cupboard on the street I can here it. In my old apartment I could always hear a strange buzzing I never figured out what it was and it really annoyed me but thinking about it, it was probably the electric and water meter cupboard that was opposite our front door. I get woken by very small sounds outside too but can't wear earplugs or I don't wake up for the alarm. Its strange as when it comes to speech I have auditory processing problems, its like my brain cannot process speech properly unless it is extremely loud, clear slow and accompanied by no background noise whatsoever.
I have to have clear voices also, when I would go to the bar with friends I could never understand how they could all sit there and talk with all the noise. I would just Dance the whole night, at least the music was enough to drown out the voices.

In juniour high I identified so strongly with Daria. I had the same kind of laconic demenor and cynical outlook. I also generally hated my peers and regarded them almost like a different species. I wasn't actually as smart as her though. She was, after all, written by adults.

I kind of wonder if St. Vincent is an aspie. There is something about the way she writes, like there is a barier between her and the outside world. It isn't the typical rebellious anxt of most rock starts, but a more raw sense of alienation. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

New Threads

Top Bottom