• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Not a book so much as a pamphlet, but I recently read The Missionary Position by Christopher Hitchens.

The Autistic Brain, by Temple Grandin

18 Minutes, by Peter Bregman

I am still trying to finish Patriot Games but I haven't read a word of it in like a month. Lost my motivation because of recent events (of all sorts)

Just finished "Mother Russia" by Robert Littell. Holy pickled herring...comedy, Q tips & paranoia wrapped neatly...if you read only 1 book about Russia, this would be a good choice. I think it takes place in 1970s Russia.

My relationship with fiction is...complicated. I have been forcing myself to read some Neil Gaiman short stories (out of Fragile Things), which I enjoy well enough, I suppose.

I'm reading a religious book about union with God's Will. It was originally written in Italian, and this has motivated me to study that language.

Yes, but sadness is one emotion I can relate to. I love Hardy's sense of tragedy. His visions of doomed men and women struggling against both fate and themselves.

Very fatalistic! I use to play this game - what one thing could the character NOT do that would have changed their lives? The Victorian novels were always best at that game. One little thing, a meeting by chance that never occurred, or an object NOT found, and everything would have turned out fine.

I have not even started yet, but I downloaded the first Mortal Instruments book (I cannot even remember the title!) on my Kindle. I find myself gravitating towards teen books more and more, as I prefer my fiction to be more entertainment than thought-provoking.

Small aside: Working in a brick-and-mortar bookshop, I still feel guilty for even owning a Kindle. Am I a terrible person? (In my defence, I got it long before I started working there.)

I've recently joined a book club and we're reading The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. It's a work of fiction about a Professor of Genetics who is trying to find a wife. He exhibits a lot of traits consistent with AS and he is trying to use the most efficient method possible to do it - which is a very bizarre questionnaire. I'm finding it extremely funny because he is very knowledgeable of AS but doesn't seem to notice that he has so many of the traits.

Small aside: Working in a brick-and-mortar bookshop, I still feel guilty for even owning a Kindle. Am I a terrible person? (In my defence, I got it long before I started working there.)

Noooooooo..... I resisted buying a Kindle for a long time, thinking that I really don't need the latest gadgets. But I love my Kindle and since buying it I've increased my reading because the books are more affordable and I can start reading within 60 seconds of purchase. I'm now on a mission to reduce the number of paper books in my home.

I am currently reading Anita Blake Vampire Hunter #22. I am also re-reading Aspergers in Pink and Parenting Girls on the Autism Spectrum. I read Aspergirls and the Tony Attwood book and I didn't like them. I didn't like the style of writing. It bothered me.

Noooooooo..... I resisted buying a Kindle for a long time, thinking that I really don't need the latest gadgets. But I love my Kindle and since buying it I've increased my reading because the books are more affordable and I can start reading within 60 seconds of purchase. I'm now on a mission to reduce the number of paper books in my home.

I have actually been reading more paperbacks now that I work in a bookshop and get a substantial employee discount. While I love my Kindle, I am still a little bothered by the whole DRM thing, the concept of "licensing" rather than "ownership." However, I use my Kindle a lot for free classics, and also when I do not want anyone to see what I am/have been reading! :cool2:

Still Ender's Game, and you know what? I don't think Brigham-Young is very good at teaching people to write. I have now knowingly read three Utan authors, all of whom struggle with punctuation and start their sentences with conjunctions, not to mention that they make classical fanfiction-writers' mistakes, like forgetting what happened a page ago.

Just finished City of Glass, and having read the sample part to Book 4, I think I am done with the series. Time to move on. Maybe Neil Gaiman's new novel.

Just read Celestine Prophecy and now reading the next book the 10th Insight. Really good material in there!

Still Ender's Game, and you know what? I don't think Brigham-Young is very good at teaching people to write. I have now knowingly read three Utan authors, all of whom struggle with punctuation and start their sentences with conjunctions, not to mention that they make classical fanfiction-writers' mistakes, like forgetting what happened a page ago.

As a fanfiction writer myself, I resemble that remark! :D

Seriously, though, I try not to forget what happened a page ago when I'm writing. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom