• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Contact lens

My partner has Kerataconus and has had contacts for 10 years now, from RPG (hard ones) which fell out all the time and scratched his corneas to the Hybrid Lenses hes wearing now which he loves as they have a soft outer skirt with the rigid bit in the middle; the soft skirt is the bit that sits against the eye ball and so feels as comfy as a normal soft lens (compared to the awfulness of wearing RPG lenses). Talk to your optometrist about the fit of the lenses, my parter has cone-shaped corneas and so fitting contacts to his eyes is pretty tricky and took many tries to get a perfect fit), also ask about things like Scleral-Lenses which are bigger then the normal lens and vault the middle of the eye more then the normal sized lens, this works better for some peoples eyes.

If soft lenses are whats causing your problem, you can try: trying other brands of lens, using different cleaning solution/the stuff you fill the lens with just before putting it in your eye, trying different wetting drops to keep up the tear-barrier underneath the contact during the day (very important to happy eyes; my partner uses the expensive preservative-free HyloFresh drops because he needs to use drops to re-wet his eyes every hour or so but if you only need drops once a day or so then Systane is pretty good).

Last edited:
I wear glasses in private but, contacts in public because I think I look silly with glasses on. For me, only gas permeable lenses will work. The rest leave me feeling as if I have burned my eyes. Those are often called extended wear contact lenses.

Also do opt for hypo allergenic cleaning solutions and moisturizing drops to be sure the sensitivity is not to those.

Gas permeable, monthly, soft lenses, saline solution and very clean hands when putting them in.
Protein buildup on the lenses seems to be my main issue, I can wear them for a few hours, but not the whole day, even when I take them out and clean them.

Mine are Cooper Avaira, it's a new brand for me but I've had less discomfort than the old Accuvue ones I had before. I think these "breathe" better or something.

I went through hell the first month I began wearing contact lenses back in the late 80s. Initially VERY uncomfortable. Even agonizing at times. Yet within an hour or so my discomfort would always subside. After that month they began to feel routine.

However I always maintained a strict regimen of cleanliness with solutions and usually removed them after work. Never had the kind that were disposable. I wouldn't have dreamed trying to wear them 24 hours at any time.

But I suspect there will always be some who simply cannot physically tolerate foreign objects in such a manner.

I ended up wearing them maybe five or six years....eventually went back to eyeglasses given my increasing astigmatism.

Mine are by Proclear by CooperVision. I also use the OptiFree Replenish for them to soak in over night. My eye doctor is the only doctor I trust, and so far I don't disagree with him saying it's one of the best lens solutions.

My big issue is that annoying stringy film that your eyes sometimes creates. Thankfully it doesn't happen often. I've been wearing contacts for eleven years now. Started way back in June 2004.

I wear one-day lenses that have increased moisture and high UV filters. They're called Acuview Moist, there is a more expensive version, but these are ideal. I can wear them for 8-10 hours before I feel them.

New Threads

Top Bottom