• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

City living

Big city living...

• I live in a big city and love it

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I live in a big city and don't like it

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I live in a small town and love it

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I live in a small town and don't like it

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I live on an acreage or farm

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
I like small towns. My current "village" has a population of 331. But I've always wondered what city life would be like; I can't imagine that I'd like it. Sure, I have to drive about half an hour to get to the nearest Wal-mart (and really, what more do you need than that?), but I'd have to imagine it would be about the same in terms of travel time in a big city. Sure, the amenities of a big city would be nice, to at least have everything there, but that's mattering less and less with Amazon Prime. Plus, the thought of having to shove my way through a throng of humans to get anywhere or do anything makes me cringe.

Not sure how exactly to answer this. I live in a township of around 16k people. Across the road from my house is farmland. But I live only a couple miles from a city of 35k people, another of around 90k people, as well as the 3rd largest city in Pennsylvania, so a very well populated area. That being said, I do like the area I live in...people are far enough away that I don't get bothered, but also close enough with amenities that its convenient. I also really like the quiet, especially at night...

I live in a small suburban town but work in a big city.

This may sound weird but in a way, the city is more calming. You see in the suburbs, neighbors know each other and say hello and expect a response. The coffee shop baristas get to know your order and treat you as a regular. People recognize you and smile. It's awful.

However, in a crowded city with millions then anonymity is forced. It's almost a faux pas to try to engage a conversation on the subway. Commuters put headphones on and go about there business, knowing better than to try to interact. Hell, if someone passes out, you can guarantee that at least 3 people will step over them without stopping. So are ways to isolate yourself in a city.

My ultimate preference however would be a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, ordering online and never interacting in person at all. If I didn't have such a crappy pension, I'd move into the wilderness in a heartbeat.

I live in a small rural town. It has it's advanatges and disadvantages: The advantage is that the forests and mountains are close by so there are plenty of places to go and walk, And the air is clean and not full of noxious exhaust fumes.

The disadvantage is that people know and recognise me and expect me to interact with them. I prefer to keep myself to myself, and don't seek interaction with people when I'm out and about, I prefer to be alone. If I go to the supermarket, there is a good chance that someone will recognise me and want to talk to me, so I go at times when it isn't busy. Also, the houses around me are large, with gardens, and many keep dogs that bark constantly, or they work in their gardens, or have kids playing in the gardens, there are motobikes, scooters and cars thundering by and there is constant noise. I often wish I lived somewhere a bit more isolated.

Oh so sick of living in highly urban areas my entire life. Lived in NYC, Chicago, and their suburbs, moved 37+ times in my life.

I have always -even as a child- wanted to live in a very rural farming, or 100% wilderness area. It will probably never happen now, as when one gets to my age, with my physical disabilities, needs to be near all kinds of doctors, hospitals, and conviences. Which means living in an urban environment.

New Threads

Top Bottom