• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cat Obsession

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
Hey everyone :)

Although I myself have a cat, I must admit I'm not obsessed with them. I did however come across this light-hearted interview of a man on the spectrum, who does in fact have an obsession with cats. This man has spent 15 years so far, creating a "fun house" within his own home, so that his cats could explore, and have their own places to hide away.

Oh I can feel my face and arms itching up, my throat getting all phlegmy. I want to scratch my eyeballs.

I visited an acquaintance a month ago. A cat lover. Balls of un-vacuumed fur in their carpet. TORTURE. We were taking Antihistamine hayfever tablets by the end of the day.

Have 2. Both rescued strays. Great pets. Unlike dogs, they're not in your face at all times. Sometimes they want to interact, but mostly they just want to hang around in your general vicinity. Fine by me. No obsession here, tho. I just like 'em.

A maze for allergies...:eek:
I do understand his obsession though...

wow that looks like a nightmare to clean... awesome though! Wow I love cats, I'm definitely not obsessed with them though :D

That's awesome! I'm a cat lover and have 2 myself, used to be 3 until Precious passed away. I can relate to what Greg says about understanding his cats, as I myself am closer to my own cats (especially Precious) than I am to most people. I wouldn't say I was obsessed with cats though.

Cats are the most advanced life form on the planet, the purring, the self cleaning, the agility, the cuteness, they are evil and built to survive! I even adore the cheetahs and panthers and lions on animal planet channel, even though they would gang up on me and eat me in a heartbeat.

My cat is my best companion, a real friend, but not an obssession. She does get clingy when I am late home and will often not leave my side for an hour or two.

3 cats here. We love them and want to give them the best possible home with an enriched environment while protecting them from the dangers of the outdoors (they are indoors only cats).

I have built a few things for them, but nothing to that guy's level. Mostly just those commercially available cat trees placed strategically so that they can get up on top of other furniture like shelves and armoires.

Though I did install a shelf around the top of walls in a sun room and built a custom spiral cat ladder for them to use to get up to it. They don't use it very much.

I'd love to try to build some sort of outdoor enclosure where they could get some safe outdoors time, but it will have to wait until next year for us to be able to spend much on that.

Cats are definitely my kind of people, they are quiet, clean, and if they get too bratty I can put them in the garage. I love my cats, but I wouldn't say I'm completely obsessed with them, though sometimes I get pretty close to it.:)

I did ... come across this light-hearted interview of a man on the spectrum, who does in fact have an obsession with cats. This man has spent 15 years so far, creating a "fun house" within his own home, so that his cats could explore, and have their own places to hide away.

I saw this fellow on TV and immediately "friended" him on Facebook. Can't have too many cat-obsessed friends. :)

Seriously, though, I'm not sure I'm exactly obsessed with cats. They are a huge part of my life ... kind of like children are a huge part of their parents' life. But, would you consider that parents are necessarily "obsessed" with their children? Some certainly are, but for the most part, I think they just want to enjoy their kids and make their lives as happy and successful as possible. That's pretty much how I feel about my cats. I don't know if I would consider this fellow obsessed with the cats either. I think he was more obsessed with the actual building of the "funhouse" throughout his home. I guess I think of "cat-obsessed" as not only loving cats, but also collecting everything having to do with them ... cat figurines, cat photographs, cat whatever. Not that any of it really matters, I just tend to ponder out loud (or rather in print I guess).

Thanks for posting the video. His hard work is worth admiration.

I have five of my own at my home. Two are semi-feral; they are friendly, but won't come inside. I have one cat I claim as my own at my friend's house where we have our office. She's semi-feral and only friendly with me. There are also about a dozen ferals and semi-ferals running around the property whom I'm trying to "trap, neuter, return" (TNR). They aren't mine, but they sure are fun to watch. Most of them are still kittens.

all of my cats have names, but mom never calls them by their names. She calls them by adjectives: gray kitty, rat tail, orange kitty, long tail kitty, fat boy...etc

Their real names are: Mario (he has a mustache), Luigi (his brother), tango, rat, sassy, mako, rogue, and mrs puff

New Threads

Top Bottom