• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can't Stand Modern Things?

Buzzerfly

anyone here have trouble tolerating the most recent (past 5 years or so) music, movies, television etc.? I've never loved being entertained by these things, especially tv and movies, but I used to be able to find some good in a movie/show/song. Music was the last thing to go for me...

I hate ALL recently released pop, rap, rock, indie, country. It all sounds like a whiny simulation of heartfelt expression to me. I like Coldplay, so I hung in with them for a long time, but they ought to just quit making music at this point. Movies? The most recent one I enjoyed was Amelie...I still just watch the Princess Bride and The Hobbit cartoon when I need to enjoy a movie (though it does get boring).

And TV? Well I can kind of stand to watch Ninja Warrior with my family. I try to pick the best kids shows, with what I perceive to be well-intentioned creators. I like animated mr bean and sometimes others. But basically all modern "entertainment", including the way news stories are written to spell out how you are supposed to react to the story, bother the sh** out of me!

Just me?

I don't like a bit of modern stuff, but I don't feel it's all bad.

I enjoyed Stranger Things on Netflix! Kimmy Schmidt is pretty good too. Big Bang Theory is ok (but early seasons are much better. More recent stuff has just been way too much romance drama and not as funny). Bob's Burgers is pretty fun as well! One of the few current running cartoons that isn't just pop culture references and dumb jokes to appeal to the masses. Also I still stick with classics I've watched for years- Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and so on.

Modern movies- eh.. not a ton I've enjoyed but I honestly haven't watched much. Fantastic Beasts was really good! I stick with my favorites- original Ghostbusters, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and others.

Music for a long time has been pretty meh. I like some songs by some artists, but usually just stick with video game songs I enjoy, old TV themes, The Beatles and a few others.

Keep looking? Maybe search out for stuff that is similar to things you enjoy? While there is a lot of crap out there, that can be said for just about any year in music, movies and TV shows. I feel like this isn't just an aspie issue.. it's just an oversaturation issue- so much stuff, hard to easily find good things in all the garbage that comes out.

Don't think I've seen a new movie for years and years except a few documentaries. I still think cartoons should be hand drawn. The newest music I listen to is at least ten years old, though most of the music I listen to is older than me. I'm reading classic novels, the one I'm reading right now was published in maybe 1914. Is that too modern? I do watch a bit of television, I admit. I actually enjoy Modern Family. o_OIronic?

The only newer TV shows I like are Rick and Morty, the newer episodes of South Park, and of course The Daily Show; Trevor Noah is hilarious. Otherwise, most of my TV viewing is stuff from at the very least 5 years ago.

Otherwise, everything I like is at least 5 years old. I'm playing my Xbox 360 right now while I haven't turned on my Xbox One in weeks, I just got done driving my classic Mustang for 5 hours while I listened to old Gucci Mane (new Gucci is a hack, a ghetto "Oh baby baby" singer) - oh, and Eiffel 65 (giggity 90's giggity).

I've seen maybe one or two movies in the last ten years, because pretty much everything I'd be interested is a remake and/or memberberries. I don't own a cell phone, I do own an MP3 player, and I haven't watched news-news in longer than I can remember, ever since I became aware that every news source has a political agenda and is trying to instruct you on what to think.

There's an old-school boombox in my back seat that only plays tapes, most of which is 80's rock, I still like Bowling for Soup (anyone got a problem with that?), Nirvana, and Rob Zombie.

So yeah, pretty much everything entertainment for me is at the very least 5 years old, often more. Screw the crap that serves as entertainment these days.

I don't like a bit of modern stuff, but I don't feel it's all bad.

I enjoyed Stranger Things on Netflix! Kimmy Schmidt is pretty good too. Big Bang Theory is ok (but early seasons are much better. More recent stuff has just been way too much romance drama and not as funny). Bob's Burgers is pretty fun as well! One of the few current running cartoons that isn't just pop culture references and dumb jokes to appeal to the masses. Also I still stick with classics I've watched for years- Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and so on.

Modern movies- eh.. not a ton I've enjoyed but I honestly haven't watched much. Fantastic Beasts was really good! I stick with my favorites- original Ghostbusters, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and others.

Music for a long time has been pretty meh. I like some songs by some artists, but usually just stick with video game songs I enjoy, old TV themes, The Beatles and a few others.

Keep looking? Maybe search out for stuff that is similar to things you enjoy? While there is a lot of crap out there, that can be said for just about any year in music, movies and TV shows. I feel like this isn't just an aspie issue.. it's just an oversaturation issue- so much stuff, hard to easily find good things in all the garbage that comes out.
Your post makes me feel better about life somehow! I still think jeopardy and wheel of fortune seem comforting too...I will check out some of everyone's things they like (if any). But overall, still avoiding modern as well.

The only newer TV shows I like are Rick and Morty, the newer episodes of South Park, and of course The Daily Show; Trevor Noah is hilarious. Otherwise, most of my TV viewing is stuff from at the very least 5 years ago.

Otherwise, everything I like is at least 5 years old. I'm playing my Xbox 360 right now while I haven't turned on my Xbox One in weeks, I just got done driving my classic Mustang for 5 hours while I listened to old Gucci Mane (new Gucci is a hack, a ghetto "Oh baby baby" singer) - oh, and Eiffel 65 (giggity 90's giggity).

I've seen maybe one or two movies in the last ten years, because pretty much everything I'd be interested is a remake and/or memberberries. I don't own a cell phone, I do own an MP3 player, and I haven't watched news-news in longer than I can remember, ever since I became aware that every news source has a political agenda and is trying to instruct you on what to think.

There's an old-school boombox in my back seat that only plays tapes, most of which is 80's rock, I still like Bowling for Soup (anyone got a problem with that?), Nirvana, and Rob Zombie.

So yeah, pretty much everything entertainment for me is at the very least 5 years old, often more. Screw the crap that serves as entertainment these days.

Classic Gucci Mane :)

Don't think I've seen a new movie for years and years except a few documentaries. I still think cartoons should be hand drawn. The newest music I listen to is at least ten years old, though most of the music I listen to is older than me. I'm reading classic novels, the one I'm reading right now was published in maybe 1914. Is that too modern? I do watch a bit of television, I admit. I actually enjoy Modern Family. o_OIronic?
Kay,
I forgot about books. What the heck are people even talking about anymore? If I read, I just retread CS Lewis, Tolkien with my husband, Wind in the Willows.

There haven't been many modern entertainment interest me. Though I can have fun making my own entertainment filming my camping, hiking trips, filming my R.C. etc, and finding an audience that have interest.

Rap use to be good during the 90s and prior and somewhat in the early 2000s. Today, most of it sound the same to me.

Kay,
I forgot about books. What the heck are people even talking about anymore? If I read, I just retread CS Lewis, Tolkien with my husband, Wind in the Willows.

I did read Harry Potter, that was new, at the time anyway. Well, actually it wasn't that new. I didn't read them until 6 years ago. Fiction isn't something I was reading very often until last November when I decided to dedicate the next four years to classic literature.

Oh, I did read two articles in the Atlantic this last issue! Non-fiction, not books, but new.:)

Firstly, love Princess Bride!

I watch classic movies but also watch recent releases. I prefer arthouse and foreign and independent films over the mainstream. I couldn't watch Hobbit, LOTR, recent Star Wars, marvels..etc.

Can't stand Coldplay. I think they are the worst band in the world. There are some great new musicians out there if you look off the mainstream though.

Books are always hit and miss but i still find wonderful new reads throughout the year.

I think you might have just lost your motivation, inspiration and are in a bit of a funk.
Chin up and go on a treasure hunt for new gems! Look outside your comfort zone and go with an open mind ;)

It is Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

We don't notice this in the moment, because "age winnows." The greater the age, the more it happens.

DH and I are only two years apart in age and we sometimes enjoy a classic TV show from our childhood popping up on Netflix or Hulu. But there aren't all that many, and some of them are not ones we enjoy. However, we do remember the absolute junk that was so common when we were children.

That doesn't make it to the streaming services.

Likewise, I used to love Turner Classic Movies (which has changed now) because they went through decades of movies to show. They are only picking the good ones, or at least the fun ones. Studios used to put out over fifty movies a year; many studios each releasing a movie a week, sometimes more.

They weren't all good.

Also, things we experience in the first 20 years of our lives are more deeply embedded emotionally, because we were growing and changing our brain, biologically. So the things we liked then can seem more compelling than things we like recently; because one impression is still shallow, and the older ones are more deeply impressed upon a variety of synapses.

Enjoy what you enjoy. Pop culture will always make more :)

It is Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

We don't notice this in the moment, because "age winnows." The greater the age, the more it happens.

DH and I are only two years apart in age and we sometimes enjoy a classic TV show from our childhood popping up on Netflix or Hulu. But there aren't all that many, and some of them are not ones we enjoy. However, we do remember the absolute junk that was so common when we were children.

That doesn't make it to the streaming services.

Likewise, I used to love Turner Classic Movies (which has changed now) because they went through decades of movies to show. They are only picking the good ones, or at least the fun ones. Studios used to put out over fifty movies a year; many studios each releasing a movie a week, sometimes more.

They weren't all good.

Also, things we experience in the first 20 years of our lives are more deeply embedded emotionally, because we were growing and changing our brain, biologically. So the things we liked then can seem more compelling than things we like recently; because one impression is still shallow, and the older ones are more deeply impressed upon a variety of synapses.

Enjoy what you enjoy. Pop culture will always make more :)
WereBear,
I agree that the majority of things available to us are crap. But don't think I'm saying I want to go back to the Good 'Ol Days :). I liked many pop culture things as a kid (well enough) but do NOT want to revisit them, or most classics from before my time either.

I guess just lately, I can't seem to find the speck of Good I could once see in things made prior to 5 years ago. For example, I don't like Full House anymore but I imagine some of the people who worked on that show wanted to make a feel good sitcom about a loving family (inside the context of family they understood). Or last night, I watched some of Men in Black with my son, because it was on tv and didn't bother me too bad...seemed like somebody wanted to make it as genuinely entertaining.

But I guess I was wondering if anyone else felt as if the most recent crop of crap had, unfortunately, no good behind it. Like new stuff is sort of nefarious? It seems to me that the latest entertainment being released is some sort of feedback that NTs are Bon longer in the slightest in control of how their intentions come through what they create. Like even if they want to make something cool, it comes out with an intention they didn't intend.

But I guess I was wondering if anyone else felt as if the most recent crop of crap had, unfortunately, no good behind it. Like new stuff is sort of nefarious? It seems to me that the latest entertainment being released is some sort of feedback that NTs are Bon longer in the slightest in control of how their intentions come through what they create. Like even if they want to make something cool, it comes out with an intention they didn't intend.

I am going to contradict myself and agree with you :)

Not really contradictory... but we are in a transition period. When the studio system was breaking down in Hollywood post WWII, the crap percentage went even higher; they were getting competition from TV, they had to divest themselves of the theaters which always took their product, and they were in a defensive crouch during the anti-Communist hysteria that drove a lot of talent away.

Likewise, we are now seeing the death of broadcast television. Streaming services now produce their own shows, and they are going to reflect their generally younger, smarter, viewers. But they haven't fully flowered yet. While broadcast television is a garbage pit of cheap stupid shows because "hip" people don't watch broadcast.

I tell you though, music is more vibrant than ever. Sure, the music industry is in trouble; but they were more of a hindrance than a help. Now artists don't need them; and they don't use them.

Likewise, publishing has been in a downward slide; firing their copy editors, not nurturing new talent, becoming a conduit for celebrity gossip and subsidized political screeds with lousy research and no sense. It's a crapshoot out there now, with all the self-publishing -- but this also means a lot of good writers are getting read. Which was not the case before.

Transitions. Always confusing :)

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur. Re-read old books like LOTR, Jane Austen's, classics like Jane Eyre, on occasion new books that interest. Music? Hasn't done it for me for about twenty years. I stopped listening and paying attention to it through grunge, rap and right up to the present. It's as if music was destroyed, there's literally nothing for me there, actually reverted back to classical if I listen to anything at all or ethnic music of some sort. Television is usually movies or big bang theory, walking dead, fear the walking dead or the simpsons, and documentaries.

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur. Re-read old books like LOTR, Jane Austen's, classics like Jane Eyre, on occasion new books that interest. Music? Hasn't done it for me for about twenty years. I stopped listening and paying attention to it through grunge, rap and right up to the present. It's as if music was destroyed, there's literally nothing for me there, actually reverted back to classical if I listen to anything at all or ethnic music of some sort. Television is usually movies or big bang theory, walking dead, fear the walking dead or the simpsons, and documentaries.

And you can. Now. I'm so old I remember when that wasn't possible.

TV? What you got was what you got. You might have luck with a favorite show turning up in syndication. But no matter what, you had to plant your butt in place or miss it.

Movies? Unless it was a classic or an art house favorite, it was there, and gone, and maybe it would show up on TV later, all cut up and full of commercials.

Books? Sure... if you had access to a library that hadn't been ruthlessly culled lately. Unless someone was a well known author with a big following, that was there and gone, too.

Why not enjoy the past? It has never been easier.

I tend to be stuck on things I know well from years ago.

Some things catch my eye/ears and I'll start to like them, such as Rick and Morty (which is my new favourite adult cartoon!), but yeah... mostly hate newer TV and music!

I am going to contradict myself and agree with you :)

Not really contradictory... but we are in a transition period. When the studio system was breaking down in Hollywood post WWII, the crap percentage went even higher; they were getting competition from TV, they had to divest themselves of the theaters which always took their product, and they were in a defensive crouch during the anti-Communist hysteria that drove a lot of talent away.

Likewise, we are now seeing the death of broadcast television. Streaming services now produce their own shows, and they are going to reflect their generally younger, smarter, viewers. But they haven't fully flowered yet. While broadcast television is a garbage pit of cheap stupid shows because "hip" people don't watch broadcast.

I tell you though, music is more vibrant than ever. Sure, the music industry is in trouble; but they were more of a hindrance than a help. Now artists don't need them; and they don't use them.

Likewise, publishing has been in a downward slide; firing their copy editors, not nurturing new talent, becoming a conduit for celebrity gossip and subsidized political screeds with lousy research and no sense. It's a crapshoot out there now, with all the self-publishing -- but this also means a lot of good writers are getting read. Which was not the case before.

Transitions. Always confusing :)
Hopeful, then. Maybe as things get worse, the system that pumps entertainment out accidentally has to let some of the best stuff in? Still, I'm too disheartened to search for those things right now! But open to the things you guys find.

For me i preferred my childhood in the 80s to this day an age... Simpler happy carefree times.. Although todays technology has provided a way to re-visit the 80s... Love looking at the old tv adverts of the time.....!

It is hard to find anything that isn't a rehash of old safe tropes, though I have found some really good TV shows as of late.

The Expanse (Series 2 has finished & 3 is in production)
The Expanse (TV series) - Wikipedia
The Expanse (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb
This is an excellent Sci-Fi series, really really good.

Legion (enjoyable & quirky. Set in X-Men universe & centres around Prof. Xavier's son)
Legion (TV series) - Wikipedia
Legion (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb

Ash Vs. Evil Dead. ( So off the wall at times it's hard not to like )
Ash vs Evil Dead - Wikipedia
Ash vs Evil Dead (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4189022/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_vs_Evil_Dead

Just finished reading Jane Austen, haven' t gotten to Jane Eyre but it's on my list. I just started My Antonia by Willa Cather this week and am really enjoying. New isn't necessary when old is so interesting. As for music, have you discovered polka?

New Threads

Top Bottom