• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Brainwaves app

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
I had a kind of public meltdown; in that I had some huge wave of hypoglycemia/cortisol overload and we detoured into a Chinese buffet restaurant because everywhere else was packed and I had some fruit but still felt like I was going to faint so we canceled the work-related errand and dragged me home.

This is going to be tricky moving forward. My job is very public oriented, and I think I sucked dry my last reserve tank, driving all over at high speeds on the thruway with pouring rain at times and to take my all day assessment.

I have NOTHING LEFT.

I got under my super thick quilt, put a pillow over my head, and plugged in my Brainwaves app, which feeds relaxation theta waves into both ears (need earbuds or headphones) so I have been slacking off on this and I should not.

Brainwaves in particular is an Apple app, but I'm sure Android users can search for "binaural mood music" and find something similar. What is key is that it needs to be piped into the ears because two different tones are being fed in. The brain normalizes itself accordingly. That is how it works.

When I used to have an iPhone, there was a series of apps from Tesla Software called Ambiscience that worked really well for me. Check out 300 or Pure Meditation Premium. The Android apps that are currently available aren't quite as good as these. The one I use most often is called Binaural Beat Builder, although it doesn't have as many features as the Ambiscience ones. (That company had some Android apps for a while, but they pulled them from the Play store because they were buggy.) You can also find a lot of free tools online:

http://free-binaural-beats.com/
http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/binauralBrainwaveGenerator.php
http://fractalpanda.com/binaural-beats-generator/

or search YouTube for verious combinations of "binaural", "isochronic", "theta", "delta", "meditation", etc.

Brain Waves is an Android app, too. I use it when I'm in a depressive slump and need to get my brain working for a bit so I can meet a deadline.

I also found that listening to moving water has much the same effect. There are lots of 8-hr YouTube videos with good water sounds (with or without birdsong in the background...personally, the birdsong is distracting and annoying to me when I'm trying to concentrate on work).

My therapist transformed one of my favorite Lindsey Stirling songs into a binaural tone with gamma waves. His first attempt made me wanna throw up, but after fine-tweaking, the second try was awesome! Didn't know this was a thing, but glad to know there's more places to find this stuff.

WereBear, thank you for sharing this resource! I hope that you are feeling much better.

Is there a demo to try it? I'd tried something similar on a website link once, and it made me feel suddenly aggressive and queasy. Perhaps each compilation resonates differently with different people. Any idea if there's a demo or free link to sample it?

Warmheart, try the free-binaural-beats link further up the conversation. I bookmarked them after sampling some of their free downloads. Those other links may help too.

Wanted to update everyone on my continuing experiments with the Brainwaves app, part of a binaural beats exploration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

I had run across a theory that autism can make it more difficult to "change gears" and this could be how we get more easily overwhelmed (bad) and how we have those amazing powers of concentration (good.) So, for the last few weeks, I have been deliberately using this app to shape my day and counter stress challenges.

• I start my day with a 40 minute program called Morning Coffee, which moves from theta and alpha to the higher frequencies of beta and gamma. I do this first thing in the morning, putting my ipad in a string bag backpack so I can feed the cats, get my clothes together, etc while it plays.
  • Stress reduction is a 30 minute mid to high frequency theta progression. I can't use this at work if I am the only one there, but it is always something I play when I come home. This helps me get rid of my work day and be able to concentrate on my own stuff.
  • Positive Mood Boost is a delta/theta progression to higher theta. If I feel down it really helps. Minimum of 30 minutes but I can do it for an hour.
  • Deep Relaxation is a 20 minute program, but I often go longer, that uses low delta and delta/theta progressions to relax me for bed.
  • I am very impressed with the Euphoria and Creativity Boost programs I am slowly branching into. I am still in a brain rest stage that I am modeling after what people do when they have a TBI; low input and low stress when I can.

Warmheart , I wonder if your issue with trying it was the wrong frequency at the wrong time? I don't push an issue; if I am already too tired a program designed to ramp up my brain is going to start a headache and I switch to something else.

I am really really impressed by my results. I can feel the tension leaving my body, my sleep has improved, and I no longer rely on coffee to get my head set up for the day.

Like having a "tuner" for my brain!

Sounds like you might need to eat more often to control your blood sugar. I also have hypoglycemia and when my sugar gets low I have a feeling of anxiety and pounding heart.

My work is very physical so I keep plenty of granola bars handy now.

Sounds like you might need to eat more often to control your blood sugar. I also have hypoglycemia and when my sugar gets low I have a feeling of anxiety and pounding heart.

My work is very physical so I keep plenty of granola bars handy now.

Thanks, but I also had hypoglycemia as a teen and young adult, and eating something sugary would fix me right up. That is how I know that was NOT what this was; my husband got me some fruit right away... did nothing. The only thing that helped was sensory deprivation. That is how I concluded I was way overloaded!

Ironically, going low carb fixed my hypo issues :) Haven't had an instance for years.

Okay, been a month, and I think (this is also the month since our US election where we got a dangerous buffoon for President, so, STRESS) but I think my using the apps when I feel the need, using them to wake up and go to sleep: is working.

My big thing now is managing my anxiety, because they are changing my job and it is winter, so extra stress just trying to get through the day, so I am figuring that my anxiety is externally generated and I will just not let it build. I am doing the best I can.

So I am concentrating on the Stress Reduction app lately.

Still going with this, and it's still doing me good.

I tried going without for a few days, and I felt the lack; my sleep lagged, I felt a little more anxious, etc. So I am a believer.

New Threads

Top Bottom