• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Stereotypes (Or lack thereof)

That's hysterical to think we're categorized as unable to make judgments.

I may be undiagnosed, but from everything I've read so far I could be a poster-child for ASD. I guess it's lucky I didn't find out until now because in the past I was paid to handle hundreds of millions of dollars in assets underwriting for a corporate insurer for nearly two decades.

Most of my professional life has been in making logical judgments for profit. Just a fluke, or the result of BEING an Aspie? :cool:

I didn't know we were categorized that way.
There are lots and lots of both NT and As people who make bad judgements.

Well, I think it's just another misnomer circulated in society. Not something the medical community is citing. But I find it highly amusing under the circumstances. Precisely....no one has a monopoly on bad judgment, whatever their neurological profile may be. Small wonder how each of us manages our own finances varies greatly...the same dynamic in play.

Last edited:
I guess its a good thing i withdrew from society :} then again i've always been more of an introvert than outro

Every time I tell someone I'm autistic or that I have Aspergers I either have to explain it because no one knows what Aspergers is or they're surprised. I get a lot of "REALLY!" responses when I tell them, like they were never expecting it or that they were expecting something else all together.

Intelligence and looks have nothing to do with whether a person is on the Autism Spectrum or not. All that matters to me is the symptoms are based on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders that indicate various symptoms for those on the Spectrum. But, it seems like all of those on the Spectrum has variations of social issues to cringing at the thought of human relationships and not wanting to socialize such as in my case to having problems in human relationships leading to divorces in some cases to trying to socialize with others but have problems knowing how to act and talk and everything in-between. It seems like another thing almost all those on the Spectrum seem to have are preoccupations in interests or objects which greatly varies as well. I really don't see a stereotype of Autistic person because the symptoms are so varied for all, though there are 1 or 2 symptoms that are almost the same in many. Some symptoms are very mild to very severe as well. Yet other symptoms completely disappear as the Autistic person gets older such as in my case. When I was a child I would run around in circles flapping my arms and hands.

And of course some symptoms of Autism cause meltdowns, depression, anxiety, injury and sexual disorders just to name a few that would not necessarily be in the DSM.

Last edited:
That's hysterical to think we're categorized as unable to make judgments.

I have to say that I am treated like I can't make logical judgments. I think I am being completely logical although it may be over something of little importance but because they disagree I am not trusted to make judgments very often. It usually involves spending money but because I don't make good judgments personally such as going to the dentist every 6 months and there for needing dental work or making my responsibilities my priority I am kinda seen, I think, as a 3rd child in the house.

That Asperger's=Autism and Autism=required remedial education. So I was put in the Resource classes from 8th to 10th grade, even though I did not need them at all. And I know another person with Asperger's that this has happened to. Luckily, we were finally able to get out of the class.

I had to take some classes because of my reading. For me, I got out once I could read, which they swore happened overnight haha.

New Threads

Top Bottom