• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Stereotypes (Or lack thereof)

Andrew Campbell

I was just wondering: what autism stereotypes have you encountered in your life from other people. Here are some examples of mine:

1. Someone at school, upon hearing I was autistic, decided to satrty throwing numbers at me nd telling me to multiply them.

2. Some people decided to try to see what "sensory overload" looked like by yelling things at me simultaneously. The result as a fight and a warning for all of us.

3. (the lack of stereotype) I was talking with this woman. I mentioned that I had Aspergers, and she said "What's that like? I don't want to stereotype you or anything." I almost cried in joy.

After my son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome I had people telling me he couldn't have it because he is friendly and talkative. The stereotype is that he would need to be shy and withdrawn.

Your #1 stereotype above, it is people like me who perpetuate that stereotype.

I think people who are more familiar with the term Autism know that it affects people very differently and there is no "One" way Autism affects a person.

That said, most people are unfortunately not that educated.

My dad who is on the spectrum when first confronted with the notion he might be Autistic was like, "that's impossible- I don't rock." (like as in the motion). I guess he was only familiar with the more extreme cases.

I know a lot of people are look to like Spock as the fictional Aspie.

Umm what else.

People often think we're good at remembering things (which is usually true actually) and that we a re nerdy in general. Some people assume we are selfish and harsh/ rude,. The selfish thing is just stupid, as its a part of being human.

People can imagine we are oblivious as well.

Like most stereotypes there is a reason they came to be, but, naturally, like all generalizations they are grossly over simplified and there is room for plenty, if not the majority, to be exceptions.

Oh, yeah. Emotionless. Gotta love that one. X)

Indeed. One person I was talking to said that "Autistic people are emotionless, so they are usually psychos" wanted to face punch hiim

lulz. well, you just broke a stereotype right there! X)
smashed-radio.jpg
heh puns.

and to be fair, not even psychopaths are emotionless.

p.s. not saying I condone violence though.

p.p.s. This post wasn't meant to imply anything, btw. :( I only add this 'cause of what felt like your abrupt log off.

Last edited:
One person said I seemed to talk with him just fine, and another said I'd always seemed pretty normal. I didn't take any offense at those, though, since I do have trouble talking to people in general and I'm not normal.

Some people think that our intense interests and obsessions can only be about things that just about nobody else could find interesting. Like clothes pegs or cement.

People always considered me odd, but not odd up to the point where autism (or any variation on the spectrum) was under consideration I guess.

So in that sense I fail to fit the stereotype based on preconceived notions of others I would assume.

I poked fun about stereotypes by referencing Rain man (since that's apparently what the stereotype revolves around). When I told someone about being on the spectrum I told them to not expect that I was going to tell them how many rubber bands where in a jar. That got an add look. Not sure if that's because I wasn't funny or because someone didn't see that movie and had no clue what I was on about.

After my son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome I had people telling me he couldn't have it because he is friendly and talkative. The stereotype is that he would need to be shy and withdrawn.

Your #1 stereotype above, it is people like me who perpetuate that stereotype.

The stereotypical Asperger traits, tend to vary, depending on intervention strategies. My son was diagnosed at 5 and he was supported and educated at every level, about his condition. At 17, only the keen eye, would know he was on the spectrum, as he doesnt display what is deemed stereotypical.

The stereotypical Asperger traits, tend to vary, depending on intervention strategies. My son was diagnosed at 5 and he was supported and educated at every level, about his condition. At 17, only the keen eye, would know he was on the spectrum, as he doesnt display what is deemed stereotypical.
My son actually is a stereotypical aspie in most ways.

I believe that plenty of positive experiences with people (adults and children) early in life have predisposed him to think positively of people and to be friendly and talkative towards people. Being an introvert is stereotypical but it isn't part of the diagnostic criteria for good reason.

I've actually managed to avoid being stereotyped for my autism because of my late diagnosis. (Yeah!)

But one of the more annoying ones I've heard of since then is that having autism means a person must be either a genius or intellectually handicapped (which makes the further implication that being the latter makes a person less than human). :mad:

• I don't like people
  • I want to be alone to work on my special interests all the time
  • A special interest is the only thing I care about
  • I only talk about my special interests or what I want to talk about
  • I'm super-smart or have a savant skill
  • I can't make good judgements
  • I can't take care of myself
From NTs and other people on the spectrum.

• I don't like people
  • I want to be alone to work on my special interests all the time
  • A special interest is the only thing I care about
  • I only talk about my special interests or what I want to talk about
  • I'm super-smart or have a savant skill
  • I can't make good judgements
  • I can't take care of myself
From NTs and other people on the spectrum.

That's exactly it. *claps* Nothing more to add. :) ... oh .. yes .. one thing ...your avatar is cute. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom