• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies in the UK Police Force?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Above.

I'm half considering applying again to South Yorkshire Police Special Constabulary, even though I promised Mum and Dad in August 2011 that after 3 failed attempts to get in, I wouldn't do attempt #4.

But that was nearly 7 years ago obviously.

Due to other physical disabilities I doubt I'd pass the medical requirements, and I'm also type 2 Diabetic, would this be an outright no?

I know about Google and the SYP website.

So, in the intervening years, have those physical
disabilities improved? If not, the likelihood of
passing the physical has not changed.

Why would you want to try again 7 years later after 3 failed attempts?
Has your physical fitness increased?
Have your disabilities gotten better?
Has anything else changed, to the point where you believe your chance of getting in is better?
Do you think a job in the police force is a good idea for someone with a temper?
And finally, do you feel that this is worth breaking the promise you made to your parents?

The Special Constabulary:

You have more chance of becoming a part time special constable (volunteer) than the regular police, but the entry requirements are still quite hard and there's still a lot of training involved, but it is somewhat easier and realistically you might stand a very slim chance. They're more likely to accept an autistic individual although don't get me wrong it will still be very difficult to get in and then they can probably work your hours around your benefit situation. Most special constables will go out under the wing of regular officers or they can be assigned to less risky tasks like policing low risk special events, although there are some more experienced special constables that work exactly like regular police and the public wouldn't even notice that they're a special constable. A special constable has exactly the same arrest rights as any other police officer in the UK. Some people become special constables first and later become fully paid regular officers after they've gained a lot of experience because this massively increases their chances.

Remember they have to be hard, even if they wanted to offer equal opportunities and be lenient, criminals on the street definitely wouldn't be lenient and will often seek out any weaknesses and use them against police officers, this is the harsh reality of the job.

I've read that having diabetes won't prevent you from being accepted on it's own as long as hypertension is properly controlled by meds, although you will still have to pass other fitness tests.

I notice there is a presentation event on Tuesday 22 May, 2018 at 6.30pm at South Yorkshire Police Sports and Social Club, Niagara Conference & Leisure Centre, Niagara Road, Sheffield, S6 1LU, please see the link below:

Applying to be a Special Constable - SYP

This isn't specifically South Yorkshire Police, but it should be relevant throughout the UK:

You still have to pass a similar fitness test to the regular police even as a special constable:

If you made the special constabulary I'd be extremely impressed, go ahead make my day. Best of luck! :)

PS: Even the application form is huge, or it certainly used to be.

Last edited:
Due to other physical disabilities I doubt I'd pass the medical requirements, and I'm also type 2 Diabetic, would this be an outright no?

I know about Google and the SYP website.

On the SYP website they refer to "National Vetting and Security Standards regarding previous convictions and financial restrictions." A rigorous government vetting process that has been upgraded since last year.

South Yorkshire Police’s Special Constabulary | Sheffield Chamber of Commerce

I doubt you'd pass the portion of the vetting process that involves an analysis of your employment history and personal finances to establish both fidelity and financial competence.

Whether they'd consider your volunteer work alone is debatable in terms of assessing employee fidelity. But without a conventional credit record and history indicating you totally control your own finances, I suspect you'd instantly fail this type of scrutiny that is part of the SC (Security Check) portion of your country's United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) process.

Security vetting in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

Last edited:
On the SYP website they refer to "National Vetting and Security Standards regarding previous convictions and financial restrictions." A rigorous government vetting process that has been upgraded since last year.

South Yorkshire Police’s Special Constabulary | Sheffield Chamber of Commerce

I doubt you'd pass the portion of the vetting process that involves an analysis of your employment history and personal finances to establish both fidelity and financial competence.

Whether they'd consider your volunteer work alone is debatable in terms of assessing employee fidelity. But without a conventional credit record and history indicating you totally control your own finances, I suspect you'd instantly fail this type of scrutiny that is part of the SC (Security Check) portion of your country's United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) process.

Security vetting in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

SYP kind of know me from when I volunteered for them in a different capacity a few years back.

Also, regarding the finances, yes I see that being on disability might be a barrier, but legally it shouldn't be, and the Police more than anybody are bound by anti discrimination law.

I was once told they were exempt from the equality laws but I asked on a Police forum I used to post on and they said that was wrong.

SYP kind of know me from when I volunteered for them in a different capacity a few years back.

Wouldn't matter who "knows" you personally. You'd still be subject to security screening and interviewed conducted by a third party apart from the local police.

With so many more terrorist attacks you can expect such scrutiny to continually tighten for applicants to all kind of jobs relative to law enforcement. Sign of the times...

Wouldn't matter who "knows" you personally. You'd still be subject to security screening and interviewed conducted by a third party apart from the local police.

The third time I applied, I got to the interview, but failed because my answers were too short.

And I've passed several enhanced CRB and DBS checks for other voluntary jobs with no problems, so I assume the vetting would be the same as it's basically a SUPER ehhanced DBS check.

The third time I applied, I got to the interview, but failed because my answers were too short.

And I've passed several enhanced CRB and DBS checks for other voluntary jobs with no problems, so I assume the vetting would be the same as it's basically a SUPER ehhanced DBS check.

That may depend on how comprehensive such a check may be at the present, as opposed to the past. Where the third portion of the process involves the Security Check relative to your personal finances.

And exactly what the SYP may actually mean in specifically mentioning "financial restrictions".

Then factor in one thing you already know. That all prior attempts to apply ultimately failed. If anything it's probably even more difficult to join given broader security protocols implemented. You can always try, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

One thing for sure. Given liability considerations, never assume even a government employer is going to be completely candid or comprehensive in why they turned you down. Whatever reasons they provide invariably involve their own self-interest in complying with the law and avoiding any sense of discrimination.

Last edited:
the Police more than anybody are bound by anti discrimination law.
Well, they’ll still need employees who are actually able to do their work. Not hiring someone because they aren’t able to do the job due to disabilities surely doesn’t count as discrimination, it’s just common sense.

Well, they’ll still need employees who are actually able to do their work. Not hiring someone because they aren’t able to do the job due to disabilities surely doesn’t count as discrimination, it’s just common sense.

Looks like yet another daunting screening process to consider, despite liberal policies regarding the police and the disabled in the UK. Kind of reminds me of US military recruiting standards. In that the real gist of it all lies in an individual medical assessment that makes or breaks considerations of employment in government service.

That disabled applicants have a right to apply. Not a right to be hired.

"The revisions do not mean that people who are not fit to perform the job will be recruited. There is no expectation that people who cannot fulfill a substantial part of the role will be recruited. It means that the police service will recruit able people who have, until now, been excluded on medical grounds or the likelihood of early ill-health retirement."

National recruitment standards - medical standards for police recruitment

Last edited:
I wish you well in this venture but would think, unfortunately, due to the disability we have it may prevent us from being full-out police officers.

I doubt you'd pass the portion of the vetting process that involves an analysis of your employment history and personal finances to establish both fidelity and financial competence. [...] But without a conventional credit record and history indicating you totally control your own finances [...]

I don't see how being on disability or not having a conventional credit history means you don't totally control your own finances.

A person who receives disability benefits as a sole source of income still controls that income just as they would control employment income, unless they have a guardian or a trustee who manages their finances.

Lack of credit history says basically nothing about whether or not you control your own finances.

What am I not understanding/what have I misunderstood?

Last edited:

Absolutely @Bolletje !

@Rich Allen , there seems to be a common theme in your threads spouting discrimination. I wonder if there's a particular reason for this?

If you weren't suitable the first, second and the third time, what will have changed the fourth time? Some people just aren't qualified/do not pass the interview process for the job they're applying for, which does not evidence discrimination.

I don't see how being on disability or not having a conventional credit history means you don't totally control your own finances. What am I not understanding/what have I misunderstood?

He's stated in another post that his parents have power of attorney over his bank account. That's a serious - and formal sign of someone not in complete control of their primary finances.

Also any lack of a formal credit history bodes poorly for most anyone when it comes to underwriting one's personal finances. One can argue over the merits of financial underwriting as a benchmark of one's honesty and integrity, but it's institutional when it comes to doing background checks in both the public and private sectors.

While government has a legal obligation to appear transparent in such situations, they're still a bureaucracy that will look out after their own interest. Meaning don't expect them to be completely candid about why they turn people down for such work involving rigorous scrutiny. For as many opportunities that he's posted about with some possibilities, this just isn't one of them, IMO.

Last edited:
He's stated in another post that his parents have power of attorney over his bank account. That's a serious - and formal sign of someone not in complete control of their primary finances.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining!

I appreciate you, Rich, very much on these threads....but I feel that you are too quick to get angry, use “WTF” language too much, and not see things objectively. I feel your viewpoints are often seeing things negatively, rather than try to understand both sides of a situation, and not react too quickly. These things could turn a bad street situation into a supreme disaster.

We have a lot of cops here in the US with those traits too. They often cause worse situations, which escalate to the worst outcomes. These cops should not be in this field.

It would not be for a full time PC, it would only be part time (minimum 4 hours a week).

I could quite easily manage to work about 2 shifts a week 4 hours without much juggling, that's 32 hours a month.

But I do see the point, I'm on benefits through no fault of my own, am disabled and am an Aspie.

WHY can't I get a job? ANY job?! Am I totally unemployable?! Have I wasted the last 20 odd years of my life in voluntary work?!

Screw the Tories and their anti disabled stance.

New Threads

Top Bottom