• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and Internet Banking

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I just tried to set up online Banking at my Bank, because the text is so small on my card with account details, I can't see it, even with my glasses on.

I've rung the Bank's Scottish call centre who were very helpful, and gave me the customer number I needed, but they still cannot find me on the system with the details I typed in such as my 16 digit card number, sort code and account number, and it was the account number I couldn't see and I tried it about 5 times.

Anyway I've just come off the phone to both my Parents at home, and they do not want me to have Internet Banking on my account because they don't think I'd be safe because I have Asperger's.

I strongly disagree with this but I can't go against their wishes.

Does anyone else have this problem?

And before anyone says it, I am fully aware that I am well over 18 and am legally entitled to be in charge of my own finances, but my Parents think I spend money too freely, it has been a thing between us ever since I was old enough to have my own money.

My parents don't have say in what I do with my money
because they are both dead. There is no other person
telling me how to deal with my finances.

I don't have online banking or even a checking account.
I have had checking accounts in the past and found keeping
track of the account to be annoying/irritating.

I have a savings account at a credit union.
When I want to pay bills, I get a Cashier's Check.
It's easier than a Money Order. I don't have to sign my name.

Around town, when I buy things, I use cash.

I do look at bank statements online but that's all I do online. Money and finances are hard for me and scare me. Yep, has to be done but I try to keep it as simple as possible and avoid it more than I should.

Why are you wanting online banking and what are your parents afraid of? Don't need to post an answer here but you might see if there is a way to get what you are wanting from online banking in a way that might be safe from whatever your parents fears may be.

I'm not sure what you are truly asking. If this is about executive functioning, I'm inclined to think as Aspies that we're all apt to be quite different.

Parent-child relationship dynamics as an adult? My parents were always concerned about how my brother handled money, even in his adult years. Me? Not at all. Or do your parents still have ways of financially leveraging you? Is that why you won't defy them? That I can understand. Though personally I couldn't imagine being so angry with them that I'd ghost them over much of any disagreement.

Online banking? I avoid it like the plague where I can. Too many security variables, with the worst ones being those not in your control. Far too much risk for a little convenience. If I want cash I use the bank's ATM (internally serviceable only- located on the premises) and no others. Or simply walk in and make a transaction through a teller. - Old school.

Your visual issues over reading fine print might be easily fixed through purchasing glasses with dioptric lenses...maybe 2.50 or better in magnification. I place them over my prescription glasses quite frequently so I can read all that ridiculous fine print we have to deal with on occasion. Glasses I go to the "Dollar Store" to purchase. Where the same ones at Walmart might cost ten to fifteen times more.

Last edited:
I think it would help to get some clarification on what you mean by precisely why your parents think it wouldn't be safe for you, specifically, just because of your Asperger issues.

Online banking is pretty much unavoidable these days, and frankly, as someone with (sometimes crippling) executive functioning issues, being able to quickly access my accounts is nothing but a blessing from a management perspective. It makes it so much easier to keep up and avoid catastrophes like overdraft, etc., all without having to talk to another human.

As for the security issues, well...having studied and worked in infosec, yes, they are there, but let's face it, if we're gonna get hacked, we're gonna get hacked, and it's usually not our fault. Make of that what you will, of course, haha.

I use internet banking, maybe cause just to get to an okish town it takes a bus ride and it's not worth it just for lame shops

Perhaps it's time to discuss with your parents their perception of how you spend your money. It is after all your money. And however you spend it, is your decision. If you overspend, that's also your decision. We all learn from these things as adults.

This sounds a little as if they are attempting to do whats best for you, because they want to protect you. But it is Infantilization: "To reduce to an infantile state or condition: "It creates a crisis that infantilizes them—causes grown men to squabble like kids about trivial things." And you are grown man, who makes his own decisions. Parents often have a difficult time letting their children grow up. So perhaps it's become necessary that you discuss it with them.

I like online banking, it saves me a great deal of time and effort. Pay my bills that way, and withdraw cash for the month and pay for everything else in cash. There are fewer and fewer banks nearby, in fact a local one informed me recently that they are closing their branch. So I'll have to travel farther, if I have any official banking business.

I only do online banking. I rearely rarely use cash for anything. I have a debit card and credit cards. The cards are store cards I use extremely sparingly and rarely. My pay checks are automatic deposits. I have been to a bank atm maybe twice in the last 2 years.

I have no interest in online banking -- I will not partake in it until I have literally no other choice (which thankfully has not happened yet and hopefully never will).

I have been underestimated and infantilized by family, though.

I have no interest in online banking -- I will not partake in it until I have literally no other choice (which thankfully has not happened yet and hopefully never will).

I have been underestimated and infantilized by family, though.

Online banking is just so easy. I have a really good national bank. Encryption. I can pay by phone, or online. I have many bills to pay, and keep track of. I also have paypal for buying and selling online. I can access all accounts and payments anywhere. Really could not live without it.

I don't have online banking. I tend to resist change that requires a new way of doing something, I I don't like the phone call with the recorded voice (though I could get used to this if I tried). On the other hand, I don't like having to go to the bank and waiting in the queue, either. In my relationship, I'm good with money and it is my NT partner who is likely to overspend - I'm terrified of spending too much and running out of money. So no, Asperger's does not automatically mean that you are not good with money.

I exclusively use online banking. Haven’t been in a bank building for over 10 years. I’m financially independent, though I really had to learn (through a lot of mistakes and debt) how to handle my money. Still, you’ll never learn to be responsible with your money if you’re never given the opportunity.

I don’t know your exact circumstances, obviously, but what do your parent expect you to do about money when they’re gone? Do they expect someone else to take care of your finances for you, or do they expect you to do it yourself? If it’s the latter, you could explain to them that you’d rather learn now while they’re around to help you learn.

I use online banking, mainly through an app that my bank has available. I can check my balance without having to leave the house, and I am able to check on every transaction. I even set up a standing order to my sister through the banks website. I pretty much only use PayPal when shopping online, because it's so easy and there's the added benefit of being covered by them if there's any issues.

Very occasionally I go to an actual bank, but usually to pay cash in if needed. Mostly pay for everything through a debit card (in my city we can now pay for the bus with a contactless card too - one of the last things I ever needed cash for) and rarely use cash so I can't even remember the last time I used a hole in the wall (ATM) for cash.

Online banking? I avoid it like the plague where I can. Too many security variables, with the worst ones being those not in your control. Far too much risk for a little convenience. If I want cash I use the bank's ATM and no others. Or simply walk in and make a transaction through a teller. - Old school.

Frankly, unless you're accessing your account on unsecured Wifi, you're vulnerable to those security vulnerabilities regardless of whether you have an online banking account, by virtue of having a bank account and the associated card, because it's the aggregated data that people go after. Even going to your bank's ATM doesn't make you invulnerable to skimmers, and the ATMs are still sending the transaction data through the same networks, regardless of whether the machine is in the bank's parking lot or across town.

Frankly, unless you're accessing your account on unsecured Wifi, you're vulnerable to those security vulnerabilities regardless of whether you have an online banking account, by virtue of having a bank account and the associated card, because it's the aggregated data that people go after. Even going to your bank's ATM doesn't make you invulnerable to skimmers, and the ATMs are still sending the transaction data through the same networks, regardless of whether the machine is in the bank's parking lot or across town.

Of course. Nothing can make one "invulnerable" against successful cyber attacks on the banks themselves when it comes to aggregated data or ATM skimming. However one can still reduce exposure through varying degrees of avoidance and other considerations. And being aware of an individual financial institution's security record both locally and globally when it comes to such intrusions when and where possible.

I'm just happy to reduce whatever exposure I can when possible. That taking some precautions are better than taking none at all. Such considerations are not much of a bother to me compared to those who are so dependent on convenience-based technology. For me it's just another form of peace of mind.

Apart from being born into a far less technological era, I was an insurance underwriter for nearly two decades. Where reducing exposure remained a primary objective, while recognizing that eliminating exposure entirely is seldom an option. Of course I'm keeping my comments rather cursory on purpose.

In essence I'm of a mindset where it's impossible for me to be indifferent about my own security concerns on any number of levels.

Last edited:

Nothing is totally safe on line. It's like trying to design a tamper-proof medicine bottle. It is impossible although tamper-resistant bottles are now the norm.

Criminals have been skimming card numbers from gas pumps where I live. The police caught a gang of them by setting up surveillance cameras and a stake-out at a gas station where the cops had spotted the device hidden inside the pump. When the thugs returned to retrieve their skimming device so they could download the data, the cops arrested them and seized the laptop in their car.

I personally do not bank online, never have and never will. I also don't have an ATM card or a debit card by choice. I do have a credit card that I use for most purchases and which I pay off in full every month to avoid interest charges and to earn those "cash back" dollar rewards which do add up. I still pay most bills by writing and mailing a check to the creditor so as long as the US postal service remains in existence, that is how I will do it.

If you are capable of using Internet banking then it's discrimination against you, it's certainly totally out of order for them to deny you this based on the fact that you have Asperger Syndrome alone, there's loads of people with Asperger Syndrome who are perfectly capable, some can be even more capable than NTs if they're good at computers. In fact refusing you the service is bordering on breaching discrimination acts unless they can prove that you are not able and Asperger Syndrome is definitely not proof. If you believe you are able I would make an official complaint and take it to the top and beyond to the ombudsman if necessary, I think they'll offer it you once you complain, especially if you start using words like discrimination and equal rights for someone with a "disability".

Edit: Since you have signed up here and based on your postings you certainly appear fully capable and you are obviously at least reasonably computer literate, also having poor eyesight shouldn't be an issue, there's often online services even for people totally blind with speech synthesis and voice recognition, I knew a totally blind person once who did everything on his PC without a monitor, he just used a headset, mouse (barely used) and keyboard with braille keys (he could touch type anyway) with Dragon (previously known as Dragon Dictate), and you are far from blind.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is that if they won't let me Bank online, who's going to deal with my finances if anything happens to them? My Brother lives 200 miles away in London,England.

@pjcnet
Meh, if you've read my previous posts on here, over 2000 of 'em, you'd know I've been saying for years that the current anti discrimination laws in the UK have no teeth because the government doesn't enforce them, not even the 2010 Equality Act is enforced IMO, hence I can't get a job because as soon as I declare my disabilities my application goes to the "feck off, we don't want you" pile.

Last edited:
Meh, if you've read my previous posts on here, over 2000 of ;em, you'd know I've been saying for years that the current anti discrimination laws in the UK hav e no teeth because the government doesn't enforce them, not even the 2010 Equality Act is enforced IMO, hence I can't get a job because as soon as I declare my disabilities my application goes to the "feck off, we don't want you" pile.
I agree, but when you apply for a job they can easily say that you were rejected for another reason other than Asperger Syndrome even if that is the true reason and unfortunately it's virtually impossible to prove. Being denied a service because you have Asperger Syndrome when the condition doesn't make you incapable of using the service as safely as anyone else is a lot more clear cut, they can't easily say they're denying you for any other reason than you have Asperger Syndrome when it's a service that customers normally always get.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom