• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you guilty of data dumping????

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Do people's brains turn into rapidly burning fire as you explained tax ramifications of working in different states, or stock investment ideas, or some other thing you have researched for the last five years?

Do people's brains turn into rapidly burning fire as you explained tax ramifications of working in different states, or stock investment ideas, or some other thing you have researched for the last five years?

From personal experience I can tell you that discussing finance in any degree of depth is likely to put most anyone into either a cold sweat or glazed-over eyes into a deep sleep.

Even if and when they need to know, they don't want to.

Yup, it makes you a pariah. Let's burn your butt at the stake. It's interesting when their eyes start to glaze over. :)
You start to feel like a hybrid human.

Last edited:
That's a good position. @marc_101 .
Yes, it is. I was thinking about it the other day.

I do more research than teaching, but I lecture about 3 hours a week and do other presentations, so I can talk about all sort of things.

And I can dump information on PhD students when they ask for my feedback.

I have to say, it is very pleasant. And to top that, students seem to be grateful. So a win-win.

Well, sometimes I seem to upset colleagues or others, but oh well, nobody is perfect.

Not really.

I learned looooooooooong ago that for the most part nobody around me gives a fart about anything I have an interest in. Even friends who are sorta into some of the same things... gaming is my main thing, and they do it too, but the sorts that I like vary wildly from the sorts they like, and they'll hear about none of it (but I'm usually made to hear/watch a bunch of theirs). There's extremely specific exceptions but those are super rare.

So even in that shared hobby, I mostly just keep quiet.

And then everyone around me wonders why I dont talk much.

The one huge exception to all of this is if I'm writing reviews of something (usually on Steam, for video games, sometimes on BGG, for board games, though I dont write reviews for those nearly as often) at which point the data dump is the entire point and what people expect. Thank you, Steam, for that.

IRL though... nope. Just keep to myself.

I used to do that way too often. I could talk and talk and talk and talk until someone had enough, interrupted me and starting talking about something else.

But I did actually teach myself to not do that. I knew it could be terribly annoying and I didn't want to bother people. It took some time to adjust and stop doing it but I think I'm doing much better now.

I'm not going to say what it is, because I don't want to dox myself, but my area of interest tends to unsettle people. Not at face value, people are mostly quite interested, but when I start to talk it tends to unsettle them. They either walk away looking concerned or shut it all down with a "I guess we'll never know" or "I don't believe in anything like that".

Used to do it all the time. Got tired of being told I was going into too much detail. Now I try to break it up and see which way and how far the asker wants to go. I say asker because I stopped volunteering information. If someone asks about a topic I am knowledgeable on, then I go into info dispersal mode.

My partner is a shocker for doing this, but, to be honest, I have done my fair share. I've also been known to state, categorically, that "info dumping is an autistic love language" (in jest, but also not).
I've also raised a son to be like this, or maybe he'd be like that anyway.

I don't usually do that, mostly because I expect the other person not being interested in those thiings, but also because I have a hard time structuring my thoughts and sentences while talking.
But actively ask me about psychiatry or a certain book or TV series, and I will explode. I can talk for hours.

I'm not going to say what it is, because I don't want to dox myself, but my area of interest tends to unsettle people. Not at face value, people are mostly quite interested, but when I start to talk it tends to unsettle them. They either walk away looking concerned or shut it all down with a "I guess we'll never know" or "I don't believe in anything like that".

Now I'm super curious.

New Threads

Top Bottom