• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone using Linux?

Yeah, I'm hanging onto Windows 7 Pro for dear life! But even then much of my software doesn't run on this 64-bit platform. Just yesterday I tried importing Illustrator 8.0 and got it working..but when I close the program I still get a weird error. Can't say I've had any hardware driver issues other than my laserjet defaulting to 600 dpi instead of 1200. That sucked!

Just as well with a 256 gig SSD. As a consequence, I have lots of disk space because of all those programs I can no longer use. Oh well....just another reason to keep my legacy system running XP intact.

Yeah, I'm hanging onto Windows 7 Pro for dear life! But even then much of my software doesn't run on this 64-bit platform. Just yesterday I tried importing Illustrator 8.0 and got it working..but when I close the program I still get a weird error. Can't say I've had any hardware driver issues other than my laserjet defaulting to 600 dpi instead of 1200. That sucked!

Just as well with a 256 gig SSD. As a consequence, I have lots of disk space because of all those programs I can no longer use. Oh well....just another reason to keep my legacy system running XP intact.
I guess you can run a VM to run 32 bit software. I hate new Adobe software is the bloody creative cloud ****.

I guess you can run a VM to run 32 bit software.

That's why I originally got Windows 7 Pro. It's got a virtual XP system if you want it. Trouble is, it really isn't XP at all, and rather unpredictable at running 32 or 16 bit apps. I found myself having to hack the VM just to accommodate my video card. Eventually I just deleted the VM from my drive.

That's why I originally got Windows 7 Pro. It's got a virtual XP system if you want it. Trouble is, it really isn't XP at all, and rather unpredictable at running 32 or 16 bit apps.
Really. So the XP they provide is not the same as installing it from a disk in a VM? Hmmmm...........

No, not at all. It's a crippled, inferior o/s that merely appears like XP.

Big disappointment. :(

It was never meant to be full fledged, just enough to hold users over until third parties caught up.

To the person using an ancient version of illustrator, have you checked out Inkscape? It's supposed to be the FOSS counterpart to illustrator, and might suit your needs.

The new Metro theme for Win 8 I can't stand and the fact they removed the start menu. Though I know there add on to get the start menu back which I have, people should't have to go to this trouble. I'm not happy with the next laptop I buy I will be stuck with Win 8 when I want 7. It can also be hard to install Win 7 on the new laptop as there could be odds there no driver support. Well I guess it part of life.

The Windows (aka super or command) key, plus typing the first few letters of the application you want was a lifesaving tip to make Win8 more bearable. Pinning your most used applications to the main menu screen is also a supremely helpful technique.

To the person using an ancient version of illustrator, have you checked out Inkscape? It's supposed to be the FOSS counterpart to illustrator, and might suit your needs.

I have Inkscape on this computer. I just prefer Illustrator.

I have Inkscape on this computer. I just prefer Illustrator.
Agreed. Yes there is alternatives to Adobe software but I prefer using Adobe over other products. They do a really good job with the panoramic tool and many other advanced features I use with Photoshop. Plus it nice to have a business expense to pay less taxes :)

Oddly enough my Photoshop 5.5 seems to run just fine on 64-bit Windows 7. Of course my Extensis (and other) plug-ins....well, they work but not entirely as they should.

I just put DSL (damn small Linux) on a laptop that came with android . Its much more usable as the android in my opinion wasn't suited to the laptop hardware. It had to be DSL because it has a very small capacity on the ssd (chip) that came onboard

I'm considering Qt - anyone have any experience with this?

I've used it, and I think Qt is a good option. There's also that language Gnome has choosen for develop for Gtk - Vala - which aims to feel like C#.

Maybe Python + Qt is what you want?

I have kali dual booted. With a 1tb hard-drive, it's a must. My thought are that is not for the average computer user. Apart from that I guess everything comes down to the distribution or flavor

Been using variations of Linux Mint, Kali Linux, and Ubuntu, depending on what I'm using the computer for, for about 5 years. I doubt Windows will ever appeal to me again.

Just reinstalled Gentoo on my same old machine. Did something dumb with portage that would have taken longer to fix than the reinstall did. Ditched XFCE, which is becoming bloatier by the month, and went with lxde, using openbox. Very nice and instantly responsive. I'm eschewing anything that has lots of KDE* dependencies this time around, so no K3B, which always worked well for me. Ahh the new install smell! I've even got a dropdown VTE going this time around.

I have Debian whezly with Xfce on a Dell Vostro 3350.
I don't use it so much, since the battery have gone bad. I also seem to have a small problem with audio firmware on that.
besides the laptop i have only been using linux systems on virtual test machines, for testing purposes.

King Oni, Linux is a very powerful operating system that can do a lot more than windows. Unfortunately, it has no pretty graphics or simple Wizards.
That is, like, 100% false... You can install Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Mint in about ten minutes, with a graphical wizard, and use it as easily as Windows.

For me, though, I have Xubuntu with X set not to start at boot. I boot into the multiuser console, and start up tmux. I start X from there if I need it.

Anyone on here using or trying out Linux on their computer? What are your thoughts on it? I've decided to bite the bullet and split my now small-ish hard drive in half to accommodate Linux Mint 14 and Windows 7, the latter of which was my primary OS until now. I'm fortunate to have compatible hardware even if I have to resort to proprietary drivers, it being as new as it is and under Linux, which is touted as being an "open-source" OS.

Though it was a bit of a hassle to get set up and working, everything's apparently good now and I'm in the process of installing my desired software (Google Chrome for one, which just so happens to be available for Ubuntu and Debian based systems) and tweaking things a bit to get it to my liking. I'm impressed with Mint 14, not that I wouldn't be though as Mint 11 also being used on a Thinkpad laptop which I also own. I can't attest to it being less resource demanding and more efficient or usable than the alternatives (yet), but like most of the other modern Linux variants out there it is quite user-friendly and highly customizable.

I used to be a linux engineer but flipped to MS because of the market share and job security. It USED to be the OS that provided the most customization within the desktop environment. But that was until I designed Splinter and ran it inside 7. 7, with Splinter, is now, by far, no close second, the most customizable environment on the planet...

The second half of this demo shows Splinter. The first half is another one of my designs, but unrelated to computers, in that sense. Skip to half way if wish to just see the desktop interface demo reel

New Threads

Top Bottom