• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone struggle with swallowing pills?

The Outsider

It seems like no matter what I do I can never seem to correctly swallow a pill. I am aware of the tricks like putting it on your tongue, putting it in jello, mixing it with something like applesauce, and more. It seems like my only real solution is to crush up or chew the pills. Some pills are quite hard to crush or chew and they tend to have a very nasty aftertaste that’s hard to get rid of. I don’t think I’m scared of choking on the pills although it seems like that might happen. Even with regular food I have to chew it up into very small pieces before I can swallow. The most annoying part is dealing with this every single day with multiple pills despite taking one at a time.

I don’t know if this is an Asperger’s thing, but I have a feeling there could be a connection. I would like to hear other thoughts regarding this including related experiences that anyone wants to share.

I could never swallow pills. i kept feeling them going down my throat, and I'd choke and gag every time! Since I refuse to throw up, swallowing pills just didn't happen. Like you, I'd crush them or chew them. Now, I've just recently been able to start swallowing some small pills, but always on my own terms. Also, there are now days where I can swallow them, and days I go back to chewing. Just depends on how sensitive my esophagus is that day.

I have read that this is an Aspie thing. Makes sense, because the physical sensations are so dramatically intense.

Yes. It's because of dyspraxia. Dyspraxia often comes with ASD.

What helps: A sensory diet. (A regular customized activity plan to provide certain types of sensory input)
For me, that is swinging on swings, climbing, hanging from my hands, bouncing, and spinning.

To help taking pills, I take them with something thick, such as pulpy orange juice, chocolate milk, or a smoothie.

Anyway, swallowing challenges are typical with ASD/dyspraxia, it's a motor coordination thing.

Have a talk with your doctor or pharmacist, they might be able to offer pills which dissolve on your tongue instead. I know with the pills I get they offer standard ones, dissolvable one or a depot injection - that would only be with very specific drugs.

The first time I needed to swallow a pill it was very hard and I could barely do it. Nowadays I have to do it twice a day so I'm pretty used to it. I think there's a bit of an art to it, I usually need the pill to be floating in some liquid in my mouth in order to swallow it, that works for me.

As long as they are not bitter on contact. I really have no problem swallowing pills. I knew of someone who swallowed a pill, and didn't drink any water to push it down into his stomach, and it cause an infection in his food pipe (esophagus).

What a coincidence.
I was recently sharing with another person on AC
the technique I developed in order to take pills.

I use food instead of liquid.
First, chewing the food well.
Then putting the pill(s) in my mouth.

Clench the teeth and look up, like a sword swallower.
With a relaxed feeling, swallow the food in which the
pill is contained.

Standing helps.

If I were to use water, I would gag/pill would get stuck part
way down my throat.
Even milk is better to use than water, because milk is
thicker than water.

But well chewed food is the best solution I have found.
Chew the food first, then put the pill in there with it.
Don't chew after that.
Just swallow.

One of things about getting old, is having to take a lot of pills. My wife and I both take meds every morning and every night. She has to take hers one at a time with some of them cut in half and still struggles with them. I am lucky, I just throw the whole handful in and take a drink of water. She thinks that I can do that because of my size.

What a coincidence.
I was recently sharing with another person on AC
the technique I developed in order to take pills.

I use food instead of liquid.
First, chewing the food well.
Then putting the pill(s) in my mouth.

Clench the teeth and look up, like a sword swallower.
With a relaxed feeling, swallow the food in which the
pill is contained.

Standing helps.

If I were to use water, I would gag/pill would get stuck part
way down my throat.
Even milk is better to use than water, because milk is
thicker than water.

But well chewed food is the best solution I have found.
Chew the food first, then put the pill in there with it.
Don't chew after that.
Just swallow.
Haha :)

Actually, I always have been able to swallow pills easily, until recently,, which was very distressing, since I have to take these every day.

Well, my husband got me some gassy water, which I have never liked at all, but drank some and much to my surprise found that I can swallow my pills easily and do not start gagging.

My husband who is not an aspie, cannot swollow pills; he throws his head back and struggles so much.

New Threads

Top Bottom