• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody got weird taste in music?

British classic rock and classical music. Pink Floyd to Mozart. It is not weird, it is just what I like.

When I mean by weird taste, I mean genres that necessarily don't go together. I love punk rock and I love country music. As I got older, I started getting into old time country such as Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and so forth. Punk rock has been with me since I was preteen. Social Distortion's 80's punk, Orange county (CA) punk, Rancid, East Bay punk. I am more into the hardcore 80's punk.

I feel like it is weird for me to like country and punk at the same time. People are surprised when we get into my car and I have country music on, but I am wear a leather jacket and have spiked hair. They automatically assume I like punk because of my hairstyle and clothing until the hear that I am listing to Hank Williams in my car.

Anybody else have a weird taste in music? Or do you just like any type of music genre?
i dont really see it as weird as everyone has different taste so theres no one way to like music,but i LOVE traditional irish country music like the dubliners and luke kellys work specifically-when i was going on holiday up to penrith [hours on the road] i had burned a cd of luke kellys music and me,my two support staff and my mum spent the whole time listening to his music,i LOVE some classical such as vanessa mae and i love electronic music,some rock,metal,and some rap music.

I don't get most forms of music. I guess I'm tone def. I like music that has well-written lyrics, but I like poetry as well. I rarely even listen to music. I listen to NPR in the car when I'm driving.

I really like rock music,especially from the 70s and 80s,I also like some new wave and a bit of pop,I usually listen to Queen,David Bowie,INXS,Icehouse,Pseudo Echo and Billy idol.

I have to chose my music the way I choose food-- what will torture me the least? Music gets stuck in my head and it might be two days. I cannot get it out and it torments me.

So I have to be careful. IF there is a song on the radio I like but will stick, I can't listen. :-(

Classical is OK and I like songs about God because they calm me down even of they get stuck, I like to think about God.

Oddly, classical rock does NOT stick! So I can listen to a lot of that.

The WORST is pop music and I HATE that anyway, but it's so dangerous to my patheitc little brain. I can go into panic mode by day three if a song is still in there.

I like different kinds of music for different moods or purposes. I might put on Bach for contemplation, Ella Fitzgerald while I'm cleaning house, The Rolling Stones when I go for a run. If that's "weird" then normal is boring. :D

I like a lot of music, some of which I guess could be considered weird by certain people. For what I think is weird though, the weirdest stuff I'm into is dark ambient music. You know, droney, malevolent stuff that sounds like it could soundtrack a post-apocalypse. I don't know why, but it's cathartic to me to hear really depressing music like this sometimes.

I used to think I did, but as I've gotten older and have had a lot of co-workers who are musicians, I don't think so.

However, when I was a teen/early twenties, I started listening to odd, obscure ethnic music, particularly from the Himalaya and southeast asia. I was classically trained cello and bass, so I am really interested in classical as well as experimental orchestral music. Then I also listen to punk, have a soft spot for old Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and the like, got way too deep into jazz and noise, etc.

Now, while I still like to listen to all that stuff, I prefer to listen to NPR news and talk.

I got into opera several years ago and very soon discovered that I had to hide this passion from all but a very few close friends. For some reason, a single man in today’s world who's into opera conjures up a certain Hannibal Lector persona (ie: intelligent serial killer) which is something I generally try to avoid being seen as. :(

hannibal.jpg

I have a few different random genres that I prefer- punk/rock, pop/rock (yes those 2 are kind of similar) and then I have a soft spot for certain mainstreamed country bands such as Rascall Flatts and Zach Brown Band, and also certain Broadway musical soundtracks. And last...a guilty pleasure of mine is sometimes listening to what I consider 'easy-listening power-ballads' such as anything from Peter Cetera or his band Chicago, Richard Marx, Bryan Adams, James Ingram & Martina McBride, ect. That last category I'm too embarrassed to admit to people since I am only 32 years old and people my age usually mock or make fun of that type of music.

When I mean by weird taste, I mean genres that necessarily don't go together. I love punk rock and I love country music. As I got older, I started getting into old time country such as Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and so forth. Punk rock has been with me since I was preteen. Social Distortion's 80's punk, Orange county (CA) punk, Rancid, East Bay punk. I am more into the hardcore 80's punk.

I feel like it is weird for me to like country and punk at the same time. People are surprised when we get into my car and I have country music on, but I am wear a leather jacket and have spiked hair. They automatically assume I like punk because of my hairstyle and clothing until the hear that I am listing to Hank Williams in my car.

Anybody else have a weird taste in music? Or do you just like any type of music genre?

Sure- underground, heavy metal, Cat Stevens (genre all of his own), classical, blues.

The VERY best part of Shovel Knight is this :) This will make me laugh no matter what!

Okay, but back to the topic - I'm not so much into music anymore. But my tastes used to be very eclectic - Celtic rock and traditional Irish, Industrial and Trip Hop, Arabic Pop and Rai, Indian classical, classic rock, and oldies....and Big Band.

Trance, House, Classic Country, Classical, Opera, Club, Icelandic Folk, Motown, Indie Rock, Dance/electro, Zydeco, Singer-Songwriter, Folk Pop, Classic Rock, Bluegrass, Trip Hop, Electro Swing, Big Band, Funk, Blues, Jazz, Alt Metal, Post-grunge, Grunge, Classic Crooners, Celtic, Dub Step, Disco, Instrumental... Ect.

I Like it all! The only music genre that I don't like in general(although there are some exceptions) is Screamo.

I listen to music to calm down and focus and have it on pretty much as much as possible averaging about 9hrs of music a day and I sleep with music playing so I am always looking for new stuff to suit my mood and situations or just classics that I never get tired of and I think there really are only two types of music, Good and Bad, and that's all subjective.

I'm going to have to add those video game tracks to a playlist now too, those are rather nice :D

For all of you who like classical and Metal/rock have you checked out groups like the "Vitamin String Quartet" They are a group of two Cellists and two Violinist who do covers of pop and rock music, I really enjoy it.

I got into opera several years ago and very soon discovered that I had to hide this passion from all but a very few close friends. For some reason, a single man in today’s world who's into opera conjures up a certain Hannibal Lector persona (ie: intelligent serial killer) which is something I generally try to avoid being seen as. :(

View attachment 32045
That's not fare. I'm a single woman who loves opera and although I get some odd looks, I've never been compared to a prolific serial killer for liking it(I don't think)! But still, I say don't hide it because then you might miss the show! A few years ago I saw Madam Butterfly and although I have seen a few other live operas there was just something absolutely magical about this one, the lead vocalists had such passion and emotion in their voices/performances without it being too sharp or screamy as I feel can happen sometimes with tenors and sopranos when they are crying out in songs. It was just stunning and I would have seen it ten more times if I hadn't waited until closing night to see it the first time! It's an experience I wouldn't get back for all the Hannibal Lector comparisons it might garner! And if anyone teases you too much you can always just invite them over for fava beans and a nice Chianti... :p

I used to be very sensitive about music, my family thought I didn't like music at all. From listening to music by myself on youtube.. I somehow grew to like techno, Japanese, and video game music. Especially from this game popular in japan called Touhou.

I listen to a large variety of electronic music. Happy hardcore, UK hardcore and liquid drum and bass are some of my favorite subgenres, and have some of my favorite sound design elements. I love high octane electronic music with lots of feeling behind it, and don't care so much for dubstep or trap... Which is considered weird in my rave community around here. It's hard to find any live event with music I like.

I also love chiptune music and electronic songs that sample video games :)

I listen to a large variety of electronic music. Happy hardcore, UK hardcore and liquid drum and bass are some of my favorite subgenres, and have some of my favorite sound design elements. I love high octane electronic music with lots of feeling behind it, and don't care so much for dubstep or trap... Which is considered weird in my rave community around here. It's hard to find any live event with music I like.

I also love chiptune music and electronic songs that sample video games :)

I've been a Kraftwerk fan for many years, courtesy of a former girlfriend.

Obwohl Kraftwerk ist nicht für jeden.

Then again there's the granddaddy of electronic music: Dick Hyman's "Moog"

Last edited:
I live and breathe The Dear Hunter, their music is very layered and non-repetitive, so I don't tire of them. Their albums all tell the story of a man named Hunter and other cool characters, like the Pimp and the Priest, who is a corrupt priest that runs a brothel underneath his church.
Rock, orchestra, folk, pop, jazz, you name it and TDH has played it at some point.

Besides TDH, I listen to video game soundtracks, Japanese Visual Performance, metal, dubstep, classical, electroswing, and meaningful rap like Fire From The Gods.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom