• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anti-depressants heightening asd traits?

Unfortunately, I can relate to your extreme sensitivities to medication. Some thoughts: First, I'm concerned that you're trying escitalopram after having worrisome problems with citalopram. I hope that you and your doctor realize that escitalopram is the "left-enantiomer" of citalopram. If whatever caused your problems with citalopram is still present in escitalopram, you could be in trouble. Second, have you tried starting at extremely low doses of psych meds and increasing them very gradually, to help you adjust better? Escitalopram comes in a liquid, and you could measure it with an oral syringe. For medications that don't come in liquids, you can usually get the doses you want by going to a compounding pharmacist. Third, have you tried vilazodone (Viibryd)? It's relatively new, and acts like a combination of an SSRI and buspirone (Buspar). If, as you indicate, you're sensitive to medications and you've already tried a number of SSRIs, your doctor might be assuming that vilazodone isn't worth trying, but it's been very promising so far for me, once I figured out that my psychiatrist had overestimated the target therapeutic dose. However, I've had to have it compounded and adjust it by 1 mg/day every few days. And of course, different drugs work for different people. Which leads to my last question: have you had pharmacogenomic testing? I can't personally vouch for its validity, but here in the United States, Medicare is convinced enough of its usefulness that it's paying for it. The testing that my doctor used, Genesight, actually listed vilazodone as one of the recommended drugs for me, after I had already been on it, and had concerns about drugs that I've had trouble with. The recommendations aren't perfect, but they might help. Good luck!
I'm in the UK. I was actually on escitalopram several years ago and it was great, the side effects I had with citalopram I did not have with escitalopram. Some more recent research has found a modest difference in efficacy and side effects between the two. Citalopram worked perfectly in terms of alleviating depression and anxiety symptoms but the side effects were too much. So I asked my doctor for escitalopram this time due to my previous good experience with it. I have now been on it for a month and have no side effects at all for 2-3 weeks I just feel back to normal. I hadn't heard of the meds you mentioned, but when I looked into it, it isn't licenced in the UK.

I'm glad to hear that escitalopram is working well for you. I just joined Aspies Central last night, so that's why I didn't see this thread earlier. Too bad about vilazodone (Viibryd) not being available in the UK. There have been other psych drugs that I've been interested in that were approved in the EU but not in the US.

I just researched it & Citralopram seems the same as the Cipromil I was prescribed for anxieties. I noticed the mood change I can't recall if I found them a positive thing but I decided to stop them after a couple of years as I still experienced my original symptoms. I discovered they need to be withdrawn on a reduction strategy too, not abruptly ceased. Due to mispelling Cipromil on an Internet search, I once accessed some restricted site or page that started flashing warning pop ups about not trying to proceed! Cypriot military, possibly.

Does anyone have experience of Adoril at all please?

I just researched it & Citralopram seems the same as the Cipromil I was prescribed for anxieties.

Cipramil is just a brand name. It's easier to just refer to them as the ingredient/generic name as there can be multiple brand names. Unless you're talking about Prozac, not everyone is going to know what Cipramil is; everyone's heard of Prozac.

In the UK, they only use the drug name, not the brand name; unless the drug is very new and still under the licence of the original maker. In the UK, on the NHS we tend to get the generic versions of medicines, made by a third party company. Having said that one of the packs of escitalopram I got this month was branded, not generic and it still only says escitalopram on it. [emoji3]

New Threads

Top Bottom