• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anti-depressants heightening asd traits?

Astroganga

I have only taken two doses so far so it is early days yet, but I was prescribed escitalopram/lexapro yesterday (last on it ten years ago) and I have noticed that I am seeing patterns in things even more than usual. It is so glaring and obvious it is like it is hitting me in the face, like 'bam'. Light on surfaces, reflections, designs on furniture and so on. Also my super acute hearing and ability to feel vibrations is heightened more than usual. Is this normal and will it wear off?

You're right, it is a bit quiet these days, hopefully due to it being summer. I hasten to add I am on 10mg whereas last time I was on 5mg.

I started taking 10MG of Lexapro on 5/23. I have since titrated up to 20 MG. Although it's supposed to take several weeks to feel the effects, on the second day I noticed that I felt more "normal", happier and more aware.

So I guess what I am saying is that I also feel a heightening of some of my characteristics since my mind is freed up from worrying and anxiety so that now I can focus on just being myself. That does involve seeing more patterns or focusing more intently on something. That does also involve being happier. I feel that it frees me to be… well, me so I think that that is a totally normal and good outcome of the medication.

Thanks. The patterns one is cool as I am a photographer and artist, the louder sounds and stronger vibrations, not quite so much. So hope that wears off at least.

Thanks. The patterns one is cool as I am a photographer and artist, the louder sounds and stronger vibrations, not quite so much. So hope that wears off at least.

You're welcome! I hope that it helps you like it helped me.

I have only taken two doses so far so it is early days yet, but I was prescribed escitalopram/lexapro yesterday (last on it ten years ago) and I have noticed that I am seeing patterns in things even more than usual. It is so glaring and obvious it is like it is hitting me in the face, like 'bam'. Light on surfaces, reflections, designs on furniture and so on. Also my super acute hearing and ability to feel vibrations is heightened more than usual. Is this normal and will it wear off?

Would you say, liken any of this to a sense of mental hyperactivity?

I ask, as your symptoms of side effects don't seem to be on a more comprehensive list of symptoms for Lexapro. But I suppose it may boil down to how they are interpreted.

I remember having a terrible time testing out various meds for my social anxiety. Some like Tofranil made things so much worse. It's a nasty, hit-and-miss process sometimes to find what works with minimal side effects.

http://www.rxlist.com/lexapro-side-effects-drug-center.htm

I always get the side effects so rare or so unique they aren't on the list. But yes I guess it could be down to mental hyperactivity. I have tested out so many in the past and lexapro is the only suitable one left, well available on the NHS at least. Last time I didn't have such heightened 'altered states of perception' but it may have been due to being on a half dose. Thinking back though I did have similar with the original citalopram when I was first on it in 2003, I think I was on the higher dose then.

Last edited:
I always get the side effects so rare or so unique they aren't on the list. But yes I guess it could be down to mental hyperactivity. I have tested out so many in the past and lexapro is the only suitable one left, well available on the NHS at least. Last time I didn't have such heightened 'altered states of perception' but it may have been due to being on a half dose. Thinking back though I did have similar with the original citalopram when I was first on it in 2003, I think I was on the higher dose then.

Well, it was just a thought. Otherwise I'd be inclined to agree that your symptoms don't seem to match those known. But I'd think it would be worth reporting them to your doctor.

Well, it was just a thought. Otherwise I'd be inclined to agree that your symptoms don't seem to match those known. But I'd think it would be worth reporting them to your doctor.
I will do when I check in with them in a couple of weeks :)

Update: after taking the meds today (third day) I have a very slighr headache but otherwise feel normal.

If that's all you get during those initial few weeks consider yourself lucky. I had a terrible time on sertraline. In terms of ASC characteristics you might find your special interest waning quite a bit and you might become quite bored as a result, I found that to be the case on both sertraline and now risperidone.

Yes this is all I get on escitalopram, the first couple of times I was on citalopram I had very few side effects as well but the other times after that, I started having bleeding/bruising easily, heart palpitations and extreme chronic fatigue. This is why when I started taking it in 2008, I stopped taking it almost right away. All the other SSRIs I tried and reboxetine which is an SNRI, really messed me up and either had ongoing severe side effects, or severe side effects started after taking them for a while. Venlafaxine, which is a slightly different anti depressant worked amazingly with zero side effects but I was allergic to the active ingredient itself.

This is interesting. I've been on medication way longer than I've known about my ASD so I couldn't say. It's something I never thought of.

If that's all you get during those initial few weeks consider yourself lucky. I had a terrible time on sertraline. In terms of ASC characteristics you might find your special interest waning quite a bit and you might become quite bored as a result, I found that to be the case on both sertraline and now risperidone.
Interestingly you should say that as I am starting to get bored with digital photography but in the past few days since starting the meds I have started to develop a new obsession with film photography. I used to take pictures with film pre-2005 but once places stopped developing APS film and I got lured in by cheap digital technology, I lost interest in film. It just dawned on me the other day though that digital had become boring though, as the results are almost completely predictable, can be seen before taking the picture and there isn't really much creative input involved. I have bought two cameras cheaply from ebay and my sister is sending me a third. I am also toying with getting a lo-fi medium/120 format camera as there are a lot of places in London that develop that film and I love that lo-fi look-though it isn't as convenient as 35mm because the shop that develops those is 5 minutes walk away.

New medication that are psychological in nature normally can take at least 3 weeks for the effects to really show up. I had a doctor who did not specialize in psychology related fields try to force Lexapro on me. She told me it'd give me "more energy." She had assumed that depression and anxiety were taking over my life, when what was really taking over my life was dealing with classrooms and a non-cooperative very political environment.

My anxiety and depression were produced from the situations below rather than more self-induced, and this is one thing one of my prior doctors just didn't seem to "get":

People were even disrespectful to me and tried to learn about my personal business even after I told them that I did not want to discuss such and such a matter. It got so bad I even kicked an administrator out of my room because she wouldn't stop bothering me about my personal business. Then, apparently, several days to a few weeks later, she had a coworker act like a security guard and he acted as if I was doing something wrong, but he wasn't say what. I thought I had to go to that administrator's professional "development" session, and apparently I was rescheduled, but I did not notice or receive that information. That security guard and the admin lady both told me that I was probably rescheduled somewhere else, then I said okay, I'll go look for the information back on my computer because I do not remember ever receiving information and have been busy throughout the day preparing or monitoring and teaching classrooms. That school was good for the students in that community, but they treated their staff like garbage. I'm so glad they unionized at that particular school.

If it doesn't wear off, you may just get more used to it in time.

Good luck. I know it's difficult finding the right medication for depression/anxiety.

It wore off, mostly, after three or four days. :) I liked the seeing patterns in things more than usual as it was quite a psychedelic experience, so its lame that wore off. Thanks for the support and concern xx

Unfortunately, I can relate to your extreme sensitivities to medication. Some thoughts: First, I'm concerned that you're trying escitalopram after having worrisome problems with citalopram. I hope that you and your doctor realize that escitalopram is the "left-enantiomer" of citalopram. If whatever caused your problems with citalopram is still present in escitalopram, you could be in trouble. Second, have you tried starting at extremely low doses of psych meds and increasing them very gradually, to help you adjust better? Escitalopram comes in a liquid, and you could measure it with an oral syringe. For medications that don't come in liquids, you can usually get the doses you want by going to a compounding pharmacist. Third, have you tried vilazodone (Viibryd)? It's relatively new, and acts like a combination of an SSRI and buspirone (Buspar). If, as you indicate, you're sensitive to medications and you've already tried a number of SSRIs, your doctor might be assuming that vilazodone isn't worth trying, but it's been very promising so far for me, once I figured out that my psychiatrist had overestimated the target therapeutic dose. However, I've had to have it compounded and adjust it by 1 mg/day every few days. And of course, different drugs work for different people. Which leads to my last question: have you had pharmacogenomic testing? I can't personally vouch for its validity, but here in the United States, Medicare is convinced enough of its usefulness that it's paying for it. The testing that my doctor used, Genesight, actually listed vilazodone as one of the recommended drugs for me, after I had already been on it, and had concerns about drugs that I've had trouble with. The recommendations aren't perfect, but they might help. Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom