• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another Attempt to Join a Forum

Hello. I just signed up. Hope that I clicked the proper suggestion for diagnosis, as I don't want anyone to get upset with me over it. I guessed my best.

Earlier this year, I had joined some depression forums. The problem was that I kept getting kicked out. I try my best, but it's never good enough.

Anyway, I thought that depression was my only problem. I have been seeing a therapist on a regular basis. One of the issues I was discussing with him revolved around me getting scammed by someone on Facebook. Based on this issue, he wanted to test me, so he gave me a test [WAIS-IV?] and some other tests.

My intelligence is above average, so that's not an issue.

HOWEVER, he said that I had "Asperger's Tendencies." I'm receiving this diagnosis for the first time, at the age of 52 [I just turned 53].

My challenges, related to this, are frustrating.

One is about learning. I'm trying to learn new things, but I just can't make the right connections, so nothing sticks. So much for the "little geniuses" remark my therapist made.

On a social level, I tend to over-explain. I'm also blunt and to-the-point, with honesty that is almost crushing, depending on the situation. I know that this is why I get kicked out of forums, so I'll do my best to curb that.

What happens is I'll see a thread where someone has complaints about an issue. It may be an issue that I've experienced, and it got resolved when someone was very blunt with me. In turn, I'll be blunt and honest with them. I don't swear, and I don't think I'm being mean.

I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that honesty is not an admirable trait, and that it's preferred that I "read between the lines" for what others are saying, and that I should respond to the unspoken, unasked question that resides in that area.

An example of this is when my girlfriend puts on something and asks the dreaded "Do I look fat in this?" question. I will answer with a YES or NO, and she will then go change.

My therapist said that the question being asked is not the real question, and that she just wants to know if she looks nice. But when I told her about it, she geniunely wants to know if she looks fat in something, and she appreciates my honesty. This might be why we've been together for 20 years, but I digress.

I understand coloquialisms, such as when someone finds a statement to be incredible, they say, "Get outta here!" I don't take that as a command to leave the room. I get some of these things. Other things, maybe not so much, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm struggling with:

1. How to learn things.
2. How to better understand others.

I'll do my best to avoid honesty, and yet be truthful. I already hate my own introduction.

b9c07a5283cf75a5cc8246ce99eb774f.png

My therapist and I don't always agree on things. For example, he says, "You're a really smart and creative guy." My response is, "Well, if I'm so xxx-xxxxxx smart, then why don't I have a job yet? It's been two years, and not even one interview or response."

With learning, there's one thing I've become aware of since the diagnosis. That is, if I try to learn something and I don't know where it's going, then I tend to forget.

A good example of this is computer programming. Someone at work gave me a book on programming and told me to "read it." I was reading it, and quickly discovered that there were too many things that did not make sense, and I did not know how they are connected.

He says, "Don't worry about that. Just read the whole book, and eventually it will make sense." So I read the entire book, and quickly forgot all of it because it did not make sense. None of the information had an "anchor," if that is clear.

I tell someone else about this, and they say, "No, that's wrong. Don't READ about it. You have to DO it." So I get into the "Hello World" exercise that all programmers get into.

I get the "Hello World" figured out.

As a result, I can do "Hello World." Nothing more.

Where is this "Hello World" thing supposed to lead? What's next?

I've spent 12 years trying to learn programming, and it's just not getting there. That's an example of a challenge and my observations of that challenge.

Ben Dover? Is that your real name? Welcome to the forum :)

No, it's not, and yes it's related to that joke. I got it from some tabloid in the 1970s, when they were interviewing Cher, but they did not recognize her date at the time, which was Tommy Shaw from STYX. Weird, because his name was also big at the time.

So when they asked him his name, he said, "Ben Dover." Then they wrote the piece, noting that the photo was of Cher "with her date, Benjamin Dover." It went right over their heads.

I could never use my real name. It's hard enough for me to show my real face in public.

I'm not sure where to post things. I do not have "sufficient privileges" for the Asperger's Directory. It's also not clear if that's merely a directory, or where to post, or a discussion about a directory that I've yet to find.

Hoping to get sufficient privileges for future posting in the actual Asperger's sections. Those sections seem to be more protected than other spots, such as here. Not sure why. Anyway, trying to figure out what I need to do, or if I'm even in the right place for any of this.

I've been told that I should "start" here, where I am right now. I've already done my "starting," so where can I go next?

There's simply a timed delay before you have access elsewhere. Maybe a day or less....can't recall.

Peruse the various threads and see if any interest you to comment on.

Ok. The person who is trying to help me thought it was an error, then told me to start here. So I guess if I have something to post, I can post it in the "Introduce Yourself" area until I get approved somehow?

I'd think that would make the "Introduce Yourself" area a bit messy and difficult to navigate. I'd feel like I was getting in the way if I did that. Maybe I'm not in the right forum.

New Threads

Top Bottom