• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

32 yr old female Aspie

Khendra

V.I.P Member
Hi. Happy to find these forums.

As the title states, I'm a 32 yr old female Aspie. I was diagnosed at age 29, confirming long speculation of self and others that I probably had it.

I'm happily married. However, I don't have any especially close friends. I do participate socially at church. I write well, so the bulk of my social communication is online through the written word, whether through social media or forums of this sort.

I did well academically. Employment has been a struggle, though, due to executive function issues and a poor ability to read and respond to social cues "properly," and occasional temper problems when conflict and unexpected things arise on the job. I have had some moderate success as a substitute teacher (I do best as an aide in Special Ed classes) and direct support professional (assisting individuals with developmental disabilities in their homes), but I tend to burn out after about a year or so, even in those fields, so I pretty much go back and forth between them.

I have no children. I have not ruled out completely having one in the future, but at my age, it will probably only be one, if husband and I decide to after all.

My interests include reading, writing, sports (especially basketball), music, collecting things (particularly basketball trading cards), philosophizing, and daydreaming.

I'm much more of a language thinker than a visual one (I cannot navigate anywhere without a GPS, for instance), although I do have synesthesia with music where I see shapes, colors, textures, and other spatial things. I'm also easily excited by viewing "hot" guys. ;) I'm a pretty black-and-white thinker from what I've been repeatedly told; I try to reduce ambiguity and cognitive dissonance whenever possible. I don't have deficits in imagination or ability to understand metaphor or symbol. I _do_ have some humor deficits, including often taking sarcasm literally unless it's quite obvious. I have lots of obsessions, both good and bad.

That's about it. See you all around the forums!

welcome.png

hi khendra,welcome to AC! do you like playing basketball or watching it?
i love both your jobs i know you dont get paid what you should do but both of your jobs are also what i would like to do as well.

I'm happily married to an NT. My own diagnosis is less than a year old, though I am middle aged.

I celebrate knowing!

Thanks, folks!

I haven't played in awhile because there aren't any good or affordable facilities near where I currently live, but I used to play all the time. I also love watching, especially the NBA pros. I try to catch most of the Cavaliers and Thunder games.

As for the jobs, yeah, they aren't the best pay -- if I weren't married, I'd be living paycheck to paycheck. They can be very rewarding, though, in spite of the challenges (and every job has challenges of some sort; just something I and others have to all accept and deal with).

Husband is also NT but we've always been able to communicate well. He knows that I don't always "get" sarcasm and is patient in explaining to me when I take something too literally. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom