• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your ideas for movies about Autism

AGXStarseed

Here, you can put down ideas you may have about a future movies (or movies) about people with autism/aspergers.
There's no wrong answers, so put down anything you want (as long as you stick to the forum rules).

Here's a quick one from me:
A young man with Aspergers awakes on an alien ship, with its inhabitants explaining to him that he must explain why he thinks humanity should be spared - which would lead to flashbacks on his life (both good and bad) before the climax where he explains why humanity should be allowed to live.

Let's hear your ideas. :)

I think that we should have a documentary that explains it in detail so people can understand where we come from. Use personal experience. Those of us on AC could probably do that. We could outline struggles and joys of being Aspie. Just a thought.

Aspie girl gets bullied at school, grows up to have major social anxiety which she has to overcome, but remains aspie. Last shot should be of her stimming.

OR

Aspie boy who grows up being bullied over preferring reading Austen/watching some specific genre of movies to playing sports, grows up, goes to college where he finds his talent for spatial geometry or somesuch makes him a genius at pool/bowling/basket/whatever, and… I suppose I'd have to leave it open, but he'd be good at sports and still prefer reading nineteenth century chicklit to playing.

I had a sort of silly idea that a group of autistic people meet up and come to use their special interest/"aspie superpowers" to save the world.
The one thing I wanted to stress with this is that they are not all savants either.
Just a bunch of folks from all manners of the spectrum getting together to save the world.
There would also be that moment when they wonder why they bother after everything they've faced, and it would tackle the them vs us argument, stressing that at the end of the day, we are all human and we should fight for each other.

A little silly, I know.
But it's an idea I've had knocking around for a while.

Thinking about it, I'd like to see Kathy Hoopmann's Asperger Adventure books (Blue Bottle Mystery, Of Mice and Aliens, Lisa and the Lacemaker) made into children's films, or at the very least as TV specials - especially as Blue Bottle Mystery is getting/has gotten a comic book adaption.
One of her other books - Haze - would also make a good film about Autism, I feel. Heck, you could even have an opening short of her book Inside Aspergers: Looking Out been portrayed before the film started. :)

Thinking about it, I'd like to see Kathy Hoopmann's Asperger Adventure books (Blue Bottle Mystery, Of Mice and Aliens, Lisa and the Lacemaker) made into children's films, or at the very least as TV specials - especially as Blue Bottle Mystery is getting/has gotten a comic book adaption.
One of her other books - Haze - would also make a good film about Autism, I feel. Heck, you could even have an opening short of her book Inside Aspergers: Looking Out been portrayed before the film started. :)
I'm gonna have to check those out!!

What I'd really like to do is make a one-shot comic book about a detective with Asperger's. Something like a mix between Scott Pilgrim and Fargo. Can you imagine it?

I'd love to see a movie describing how Aspies THINK, rather than how we act.
Kind of like the tv series Sherlock made by BBC.
By some special effects, the audience doesn't see an Aspie, but BECOME him/her.
Like, everything doesn't stay the same. Instead, it becomes what Aspies think it is.
For example, in a crowded party, everyone is laughing and making new friends.
But to an Aspie, they become scary black holes that he/she can't understand at all.

I really think it's an interesting idea. What do you guys think?

I'd love to see a movie describing how Aspies THINK, rather than how we act.
Kind of like the tv series Sherlock made by BBC.
By some special effects, the audience doesn't see an Aspie, but BECOME him/her.
Like, everything doesn't stay the same. Instead, it becomes what Aspies think it is.
For example, in a crowded party, everyone is laughing and making new friends.
But to an Aspie, they become scary black holes that he/she can't understand at all.

I really think it's an interesting idea. What do you guys think?

That's a really good one. :)

On a similar note, some people have suggested that Sherlock Holmes is autistic - although there is no official confirmation

They love saying Sherlock is not autistic, but I can tell you he is no psychopath either (or sociopath, for that matter) as he shows too much emotion. Like when he is about to start crying although no one can see him so there's no reson for him to act in the last episode of season two.

He did say that he's an high-functioning sociopath, which sounds kiiiiind of like Asperger's.

This! BBC's Sherlock is why I realized I probably had Asperger's. On my favorite episode, The Hounds of Baskerville, John mentions it and that's when I started looking up what Asperger's was, knowing that even though I identified with Sherlock saying he was a high-functioning sociopath, being into criminology and criminal psychology myself, I wasn't sure that was the correct diagnosis. I think at least the BBC version of Sherlock is definitely an Aspie. I also identify with Monk, another great detective. I'm not sure if it was ever mentioned whether he had AS or not but by comparing him to myself, I think he probably did.

Okay, sorry for the rant, I completely love Libecht's idea. It's a little hard to show the world through the eyes of an Aspie. I suppose nobody will ever cover all the points and always leave some people unsatisfied, mostly because we're all different... although movies like Adam certainly have done a great job!

Aye, I've seen both of those threads. The thread titled "Write a movie about autism here" (and the first comment on it) inspired me to make this thread.
That cool. I shared the links as I thought other members might be interested in the other posts as well.

I like the idea of a movie where the main character has Aspergers and you get glimpses into what they are thinking, which could involve their 'thinking voice' and ways of visually representing what is going on in their head, how they see the world and what their experience of the world is like. I'd lke it to be slightly quirky and fun, a bit like the movie Amelie. I'd also like it to higlight some of the difficulties that people with Aspergers enocounter, but not in a preachy way, more of a subtle way so that the viewers don't feel like they are being spoon fed.

I like the idea of it being set in secondary school.

I'm not sure on what the story line would be about, just that it's not a cliche.

New Threads

Top Bottom