• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your ideas for movies about Autism

A new idea I've had is a 'Christmas Carol/Freaky Friday' style movie, where you see a bully and his gang picking on a group of people with disabilities - with some of the disabled group been on the autistic spectrum to various degrees.

Later, through an 'intervention' of some kind (likely magical), the bully's leader is forced to spend the course of several days living through the bodies of the Autistics he bullied - unable to affect their actions but seeing and experiencing the negatives they have to deal with in both the past and present, the positives they are capable of, their inner worlds and a glimpse of their futures (some of which are very dark, such as one individual been sent to a Judge Rotenberg-type Center where is he tortured under different aversive therapies, while another is a girl - having been subjected to intense ABA since childhood - about to be taken advantage of sexually due to been unable to say no).

The movie would deal with a lot of subjects including bullying, discrimination, ABA and various 'treatments' for Autism and their ethical issues, the conflicts between Adult Autistics and Parents, etc.

Aspie guy is totally awkward both physically and socially in high school. He wins a talent contest and becomes a superstar. A freak stage accident gives him super powers. He can ZAP criminals into instant reform and, just hearing him sing makes would be criminals change their ways before they commit any crimes.

Alternately ZAP man gains the ability to time travel and right past wrongs done to Aspies all over the world.

Good idea. I kind of like the idea of a movie on Hans Asperger.
A major issue is that people are still conflicted over some of his actions - mainly the history that he sent several autistics to certain death at one of the camps, although people have argued that he had no option as if he tried to save them all he himself would have been arrested and tried for treason (especially since he had already nearly been arrested two or three times by the Gestapo and the Nazis had proven how horrifically they would deal with anyone working against Hitler's wishes; an example been the arrest, trials and public beheadings of Munich university students who refused to kill via lethal injection).

An idea for that scene - assuming whoever made the movie was portraying him as a hero or something of a heroic character - could be showing the conflict he was going through at the time of the decisions (regarding the autistic children's fates and deciding who would live and die) and later showing him crying on his own after all the decisions have been made due to the fact he couldn't save them all.
I think it could work unless we get anything definitive that proves why he did what he did.

Perhaps this has already been suggested, but what about a movie that takes the viewer into the mind of an Aspie; they are somehow forced to experience a day in the life of one. It would have to made in such a way so as to confuse the NT mind and trigger responses like we experience in the way of sensory overload, social difficulties, etc. Maybe if those not on the spectrum spent some time on the spectrum, they'd have a better understanding and would behave accordingly when interacting with us.

Movies like this would be great. A possible and new way of portraying such a film may be through a Virtual Reality headset (as such movies are currently been made).

Perhaps this has already been suggested, but what about a movie that takes the viewer into the mind of an Aspie; they are somehow forced to experience a day in the life of one. It would have to made in such a way so as to confuse the NT mind and trigger responses like we experience in the way of sensory overload, social difficulties, etc. Maybe if those not on the spectrum spent some time on the spectrum, they'd have a better understanding and would behave accordingly when interacting with us.

Reminds me of the film, "A Beautiful Mind". Where so much of the film is from the main character's point of view...which involves some profound paranoid and schizophrenic delusions of a mathematician which the audience is able to share in real time. Quite a creative and effective use of film, IMO.

Nevertheless, it was amazing how Ron Howard created an environment that allowed the viewer to experience life as John Nash saw it.

I thought it was a stunning concept in cinema. :cool:

Perhaps it was dumb on my part though....I didn't see it coming. Which made it all the more awesome.

Of course give me an M. Night Shamalayan film and I can figure it all out well in advance. :p

Last edited:
I have written a book called "A Little Different From The Rest." It is about a nine year old aspie boy who suffers from bullying at school and at home by his father. After a family tragedy he regresses more and more when overwhelmed and fantasises about different adventures. First is a fantasy adventure with dragons then a zombie apocalypse then a pirate adventures then a Sci fi then a detective story then a world war 1 ghost story. The book has him in and out of reality with his step Mum getting him diagnosed and devoting her life to getting him the help he needs and desperately trying to connect with him while dealing with an abusive husband. It is a book for adults and teenagers and if I can get it published I want to give it to people on the spectrum for free.
Maybe one day it could be made into a film and the kid from the room could play my Aspie.

Last edited:
A variation on one of my original ideas:

A young man with Aspergers awakes on an alien ship, with its inhabitants explaining to him that he must explain why he thinks humanity should be spared - which would lead to flashbacks on his life (both good and bad) before the climax where he explains why humanity should be allowed to live.

Instead, this is my revised idea:
An alien race makes its presence known to humanity - declaring themselves to be judges on whether a planet's dominant race can prove itself capable of unity. The aliens then state that humanity has 6 months to prove this - warning that at the end of this time period, they will return and try to launch an invasion attempt on Earth. If humanity fails to repel the invasion, they will be wiped out.

As part of the judgement, the aliens grant enhanced psychic powers to every Autistic on the planet including telepathy, telekinesis and a 'hive intelligence' among others - stating that as autistics are one of the largest minority groups and encompasses several others, it will be humanity's greatest test to see if both sides can let go of past hatred as well as whether the Autistic communities in turn can overcome the discrimination they have received in the past.

The film would then mostly focus on the 6 month time limit - showing different points of view from both sides as well as from within the communities (such as conflicts between Autistics who want unity with Neurotypicals and more militant Autistics who are more resistant to unity due to their previous bad experiences), dealing with various issues and eventually showing humanity uniting when the aliens return to launch their invasion.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see a funny family movie with a central adult character who has autism/Aspergers.

It doesn't have to be the main point of the film but it should be acknowledged and highlight some of the complexities and benefits in a subtle way.

Most movies about people with autism or Aspergers tend to be dramas which for me I struggle to follow.

New Threads

Top Bottom