• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You might be an aspie if...

You say 'ow' when the knife squeaks on the plate, someone asks. "Why did you say ow if you didn't cut yourself?", and you answer because it DiD hurt my earballs.
Yeah, I embarass myself on a regular basis.

Yes and no. It's easier for me to remember the age gap between me and another person. Once I get a date in my head, it's stuck there. Might take 50 times of memorizing it, but once it's in there, it's in there. I still have to count up ages though. One reason why I'm very happy about being born in January 1990. Very easy to calculate after February every year! And then from there I use the age gap to tally up another person's age.
Haha I remember my brothers are 5 and 7 years younger than me.. That was always how I calculated their ages growing up. Now it sometimes takes me a bit to remember my own age so it's not quite as effective. My 2 benchmark dates for everything are my date of birth and high school graduation (2000 so it's easy). I wonder if nt's figure out ages this way lol.

I don't know, my husband just seems to know how olde people are. I can't even remember what month and day they were born.

You apologize to the cat because you turned on the light where they were sleeping and made noise in your own bedroom.

You might be an aspie if someone comes in to discuss their report with you and you stop them to ask them to send it to you by email and give you ten minutes in silence to think about it before they come in.

You might be an aspie if you enjoy ordering and reordering your fine collection of beautiful scarves, but never actually seem to wear them, although sometimes you carry one in your purse planning to wear it and it just stays folded up until you can put it back in its drawer at home.

You might be an aspie if you dedicate the first three days of the week before a houseguest coming to reading several books on decluttering a house -- so that you can properly tidy up for her, even though you've known her since she was a baby and know her own house is a wreck.

You might be an aspie if you are so good at the self-checkout at the grocery store that an attendant -- who unbeknownst to you has been watching you the whole time -- comes up as you're leaving and comments on how "good you are at it"...which you resent deeply. You know you're good at it. You're good at it to avoid just this situation where you have to talk to an attendant.

You might be an aspie if you have several special, expensive bottles to keep tea hot for six hours, so that you can prepare all your tea for the day and have it arranged, ready to go, on your desk, so you can avoid stopping work and don't have to walk past everyone later in the day again to make more tea.

You might be an aspie if, while feeling a shutdown coming on with a close friend staying for several days, you concoct a sudden stomach ailment to explain your grumpiness and need to go lie down for a while, even though your friend knows you are an aspie, because you can't imagine having to speak another word right now, let alone explain shutdowns. When she begins to ask all kinds of questions about the stomach ailment, you permanently retire that one from your mental list of excuses.

You might be an aspie if you have no idea how to answer the question "What did you do last weekend?" because when someone asks you you have no idea -- no, wait, I'm seeing images of a couch and walls...oh yes, I spent all weekend in a fog trying to recuperate from a highly social job and just stared at the walls and spoke to no one except the dog and OH I KNOW! It's: "Nothing, much. How about y-" -- too late, he's gone. Now he thinks I'm weird.

You might be an aspie if, knowing from experience that your office sees asking questions on writing style rules as a weakness -- even though their rules are byzantine and self-contradictory and everyone knows it -- you instead concoct little social experiments to see which of your editors side on which side of the rules that are unclear, and keep a little mental checklist of how Mr. A likes "however" in the middle of the sentence and Ms C likes colons before introducing a quotation that is a full sentence and Mr. D doesn't like something he calls "orphan quotes," which is what everyone else prefers.

You might be an aspie if every time someone asks "have you heard of..." or "did you know..." you say "yes" through gritted teeth rather than launch into a long monologue explaining all you know about the subject, which is considerable. This includes: autism, food intolerances versus allergies, best practices in exercise for gaining muscle or losing weight, cooking authentic foods from several different cultures, the histories and contradictions inherent in several major religions, how grammar and pronunciation work in several European and East Asian languages and the differences between them and their mutual borrowings and loanwords, the biographies of several authors and their the lesser-known works (P.G. Wodehouse, H.P. Lovecraft, etc.), the history of recitative throughout opera, how to construct a melody according to hack music writers of several genres and how to add accompaniment to it...oh, I see I probably just need to change topics instead of trying to be comprehensive. Switching gears...

You might be as aspie if you "have" to give a small lecture on why there is no period after "Ms" when asked what title you use, and then, realizing you are at the DMV and they do not care and are listening with barely concealed boredom, that you are droning on inappropriately, so you end with a little laugh that doesn't quite work and mumble something incoherent that seemed more charming in your head, to excuse yourself, which just confuses them.

kris, you have opened a Pandora's Box within me. I'm trying to shut it. Help! You might be an aspie if you are going to spend the next several hours fighting these off in you mind, because once your mind latches on, it takes an act of Congress to get it to let go. And you're at work!

You might be an aspie if you find it MADDENING that you can't correct the typo in your post just now.

You might be an aspie if someone comes in to discuss their report with you and you stop them to ask them to send it to you by email and give you ten minutes in silence to think about it before they come in.

You might be an aspie if you enjoy ordering and reordering your fine collection of beautiful scarves, but never actually seem to wear them, although sometimes you carry one in your purse planning to wear it and it just stays folded up until you can put it back in its drawer at home.

You might be an aspie if you dedicate the first three days of the week before a houseguest coming to reading several books on decluttering a house -- so that you can properly tidy up for her, even though you've known her since she was a baby and know her own house is a wreck.

You might be an aspie if you are so good at the self-checkout at the grocery store that an attendant -- who unbeknownst to you has been watching you the whole time -- comes up as you're leaving and comments on how "good you are at it"...which you resent deeply. You know you're good at it. You're good at it to avoid just this situation where you have to talk to an attendant.

You might be an aspie if you have several special, expensive bottles to keep tea hot for six hours, so that you can prepare all your tea for the day and have it arranged, ready to go, on your desk, so you can avoid stopping work and don't have to walk past everyone later in the day again to make more tea.

You might be an aspie if, while feeling a shutdown coming on with a close friend staying for several days, you concoct a sudden stomach ailment to explain your grumpiness and need to go lie down for a while, even though your friend knows you are an aspie, because you can't imagine having to speak another word right now, let alone explain shutdowns. When she begins to ask all kinds of questions about the stomach ailment, you permanently retire that one from your mental list of excuses.

You might be an aspie if you have no idea how to answer the question "What did you do last weekend?" because when someone asks you you have no idea -- no, wait, I'm seeing images of a couch and walls...oh yes, I spent all weekend in a fog trying to recuperate from a highly social job and just stared at the walls and spoke to no one except the dog and OH I KNOW! It's: "Nothing, much. How about y-" -- too late, he's gone. Now he thinks I'm weird.

You might be an aspie if, knowing from experience that your office sees asking questions on writing style rules as a weakness -- even though their rules are byzantine and self-contradictory and everyone knows it -- you instead concoct little social experiments to see which of your editors side on which side of the rules that are unclear, and keep a little mental checklist of how Mr. A likes "however" in the middle of the sentence and Ms C likes colons before introducing a quotation that is a full sentence and Mr. D doesn't like something he calls "orphan quotes," which is what everyone else prefers.

You might be an aspie if every time someone asks "have you heard of..." or "did you know..." you say "yes" through gritted teeth rather than launch into a long monologue explaining all you know about the subject, which is considerable. This includes: autism, food intolerances versus allergies, best practices in exercise for gaining muscle or losing weight, cooking authentic foods from several different cultures, the histories and contradictions inherent in several major religions, how grammar and pronunciation work in several European and East Asian languages and the differences between them and their mutual borrowings and loanwords, the biographies of several authors and their the lesser-known works (P.G. Wodehouse, H.P. Lovecraft, etc.), the history of recitative throughout opera, how to construct a melody according to hack music writers of several genres and how to add accompaniment to it...oh, I see I probably just need to change topics instead of trying to be comprehensive. Switching gears...

You might be as aspie if you "have" to give a small lecture on why there is no period after "Ms" when asked what title you use, and then, realizing you are at the DMV and they do not care and are listening with barely concealed boredom, that you are droning on inappropriately, so you end with a little laugh that doesn't quite work and mumble something incoherent that seemed more charming in your head, to excuse yourself, which just confuses them.

kris, you have opened a Pandora's Box within me. I'm trying to shut it. Help! You might be an aspie if you are going to spend the next several hours fighting these off in you mind, because once your mind latches on, it takes an act of Congress to get it to let go. And you're at work!
I quite enjoyed reading this :)
I love this forum so much because so much of it hits home with me.
Spending all weekend on the couch? Yes. Except it's my bed bc I don't have a couch because I couldn't decide on one that I liked. So yes, my living room is empty save for bookshelves and an art desk.
And the fancy scarves that don't get used.. Yep.. But shoes for me.. Amazing heels that I love to look at but not wear. Because let's be real, I'm too clumsy for heels.

Oh and the one about the reports with the 10 mins.. I used to have insane panic attacks answering my work phone because I had no idea what they were going to ask and didn't have an answe ready. And then I got really good saying "send me an email" :)

And standard answer to "how was your weekend" or "what did you do this weekend" is just "oh, yeah.. I just took it easy" hahahaha

you might be an Aspie if...
you get lost in your own neighborhood
Right?! I grew up my entire life in the same small town and still didn't know how to get to my high school by the time I was a senior. Thank god for iPhones!

I still get ridiculously lost in doctors offices and hotels.

Thank you, that was a very enjoyable read and, very accurate as well.

How about staring at your new driver's license for half an hour because you aren't sure what mood your face was portraying when they took that picture and, want to be certain it isn't remotely close to "The Stare" and, you remember zoning out for a bit in the DMV office.

I'm good, or bad, however you want to look at it, for answering "yes" through gritted teeth when asked if I have heard of something or, know how to do something. I'm certain i could write a book about many different things and, my brain want's to tell anyone that asks the full contents of what that book would be. Cooking, music and rabbit's being my worst. Rabbits are in fact NOT rodents but, are lagomorphs. All of their muscles are fast twitch muscles so, a rabbit has no dark meat but, is all white meat and, here's a wonderful recipe for rabbit in grav.... Oh wrong topic, I'll just leave the thread now. :p

you might be an Aspie if...
you get lost in your own neighborhood

Several times - I'm almost home from my walk, and turn a corner expecting my house to be there, and realize it wasn't the right corner.

I do this on streets but never on trails, because I scan constantly and memorize the natural landmarks big and small. But houses and streets just blend blandly together for some reason.

Thank you, that was a very enjoyable read and, very accurate as well.

How about staring at your new driver's license for half an hour because you aren't sure what mood your face was portraying when they took that picture and, want to be certain it isn't remotely close to "The Stare" and, you remember zoning out for a bit in the DMV office.

I'm good, or bad, however you want to look at it, for answering "yes" through gritted teeth when asked if I have heard of something or, know how to do something. I'm certain i could write a book about many different things and, my brain want's to tell anyone that asks the full contents of what that book would be. Cooking, music and rabbit's being my worst. Rabbits are in fact NOT rodents but, are lagomorphs. All of their muscles are fast twitch muscles so, a rabbit has no dark meat but, is all white meat and, here's a wonderful recipe for rabbit in grav.... Oh wrong topic, I'll just leave the thread now. :p
Does anyone want to ask me about sewing or fabrics or the garment industry? No, probably not. But the good thing since learning about my asd (which I also knkw a lot about now) is that now I know most people don't want to hear the monologue. my social skills have definitely improved since learning to bite my tongue.

You might be an aspie if...
dress up mparty.jpg

I got invited to a "Valentine's make-up" party when I was 14. I thought we were making up for missing Valentine's, since it had been earlier in the week. I was disappointed to discover I was supposed to cake my face in goo instead of eat gooey cake.

You might be an aspie if every time someone asks "have you heard of..." or "did you know..." you say "yes" through gritted teeth rather than launch into a long monologue explaining all you know about the subject, which is considerable.
And its reverse! You might be an Aspie if every time someone asks "have you heard of..." or "did you know", you say "yes" quickly so you don't have to sit in agony being given a long, detailed explanation of a subject you could care less about because it's not one of your special interests, and you have carefully practiced the "I'm enraptured by your conversation" face and all the little grunt noises at just the right conversation pauses to get it over with as quickly as possible. I use this tactic on sports nuts. :D

The more I read on autism, the more I really want to meet the two people who set the baseline for allistic and autistic. I've known plenty of allistic people that just drone on and on about a subject that has my body language screaming "I DO NOT CARE PLEASE SHUT UP" and they just keep going on and on...

New Threads

Top Bottom