• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You might be an aspie if...

That's too funny. I had another interesting moment back in one of my cell and molecular neuroscience seminars where a researcher was giving a talk on auditory learning theories, and he did a demonstration with tones that were supposed to lead you to conclude that an ending tone was higher/lower than those that had been played before. I could not hear any difference, and apparently there wasn't one. But I was the only person that did not raise their hand.

B, an audio illusion, that a new one to me. MoleNeuroSci. You sound you have it going on. What's your slant on the Asper's? I would think that's an interest to you.

you might be an aspie if

Attachments

• stop chasing dreams.png
    stop chasing dreams.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 226
B, an audio illusion, that a new one to me. MoleNeuroSci. You sound you have it going on. What's your slant on the Asper's? I would think that's an interest to you.
Well thanks. I try to remain uninvolved with Asperger's, but I have "special interests" that are some what related. For instance I try to pick apart tryptophan/serotonergic pathways in any other disorder I study.

Well thanks. I try to remain uninvolved with Asperger's, but I have "special interests" that are some what related. For instance I try to pick apart tryptophan/serotonergic pathways in any other disorder I study.

B, I am sure this will surprise you but your knowledge of tryptophan/ serotonin uptake is just a wee bit out of my depth. Now if you had a POV on Laphroaig 18 uptake I could keep up. I do hope that your skill set/ knowledge helps us to understand ourselves better and stimulates you to excel in your field.

The way I see it many of the contributions that are made in the context of other neurological disorders (and diseases) will contribute a great deal to the understanding of Asperger's. Personally I am of the school of thought that many genes contribute to all diseases, and it's just a matter of how important each gene is in contributing to the disorder when it is viewed as a whole. Because ASDs are already viewed as a spectrum of disorders it is quite clear that using a single gene or pathway to understand it will not work. I stay away from the pursuit of understanding it lovingly of course... I'm sure my Asperger's is not everyone's and I'm afraid it would bias me. But I hope my interest in serotonin, the epigenetics of stress, and neuroinflammation/immunity will have far-reaching positive vibes. You know!

You might be an Aspie if your blueberry tea has seeped for 30 minutes instead of 5 because one of your minor interests was in swing.

Not recognizing people is not uncommon for me & also the audio disturbance thing: i mishear song lyrics quite a lot. Tiredness makes this worse. Walking in the rain once, suffering extreme sleep deprivation from excessive gaming time defending my former account, the hissing sound of spray under wheels & the general street sounds transformed into this hurdy-gurdy fairground type music??? I knew I was making myself quite ill & eventually stopped playing that game.

There are grills at the top of my storage heaters here & the black-white vertical stripe effect jumps & moves about under my vision. Likewise, there was advertizing on a bus window once, which was composed of white & grey dots. When the bus was moving, the effect was almost instant nausea & migraine-inducing. I understand epilepsy & AS share some features & that neuro-vision over-stimulation effect is surely one of them.

Re: not recognizing, if someone greets me & I don't know who they are I just say "Forgive me but I'm having trouble placing you" all very low-key :)

B, I am sure this will surprise you but your knowledge of tryptophan/ serotonin uptake is just a wee bit out of my depth. Now if you had a POV on Laphroaig 18 uptake I could keep up. I do hope that your skill set/ knowledge helps us to understand ourselves better and stimulates you to excel in your field.

I think the fact that I know what both of you are talking about quite well might mark me as being in the spectrum :-D

Great point. I think context is part of it, too. We're great compartmentalizers. When I see someone out of the context I associate with them, I may not recognize them even after they've spoken. Everything becomes clear if they happen to mention where I know them from.

That is my exact experience.

Great point. I think context is part of it, too. We're great compartmentalizers. When I see someone out of the context I associate with them, I may not recognize them even after they've spoken. Everything becomes clear if they happen to mention where I know them from.[/QUOTE

Slithy, I just caught this old post and thought I would take this opportunity to thank you. Agree with you and wish you a pleasant trip. By the way, your new avatar, well ... IT'S FREAKING AWESOME!

Slithy, I just caught this old post and thought I would take this opportunity to thank you. Agree with you and wish you a pleasant trip. By the way, your new avatar, well ... IT'S FREAKING AWESOME!

Thanks EP! :) I really like that image. I think it'll stick around for a while.

You might be an aspie if: you have more awkward silent moments in a conversations than actually speaking.

Or the latest funny in my house.. You might be an aspie if your new boyfriend asks if you've bought toilet paper yet before he uses the bathroom.

You might be an Aspie if you trip UP the stairs onto the stage, then forget the entire first verse of the opening song because someone in the audience waved as if they knew you, and you can't remember who they are. By the time I did that, I SHOULD have known every fan wanted to act like they knew me personally to impress friends but, I forgot that detail and was too busy trying to place the face to even get on stage without making a fool of myself.

You also might be an Aspie if you have a habit of lighting your clothes on fire with the on stage pyrotechnics. because you are to focused on getting your dance steps right to remember where the pyrotechnics are going to fire when. (At least I'm not the only musician guilty of that during a stadium concert.)

And you might be an Aspie if you overcook dinner at least twice a week because it would take 30 minutes to simmer the food, but your other interest lasted an hour before you remembered the food on the stove. I'm guilty of that too.

And of course, looking for something you misplaced for an hour only to find it in the FIRST place you looked, in plain sight, but you couldn't see it for all of the details around it. Another common problem for me. "Sweetie, can you come find [insert item of choice here] for me?" followed shortly by "Doh! I must be going blind." is heard often in my house.

New Threads

Top Bottom