• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You know you are autistic if -

When they do a personality assessment at work and your coworkers speculate about what type you are.

It happened to me twice this year.

Our group at work did the DiSC assessment earlier this year. When I showed up to the "show everyone your results" meeting, I was told everyone was trying to guess mine.

Now another group close to us is doing the Meyers-Briggs assessment, and someone IM'ed me saying they were trying to guess which type I am.

I guess that my personality stands out in their minds as something unique. I don't know if that's good or bad.
Eeks! What reason do they give for asking everyone to take personality tests?

Eeks! What reason do they give for asking everyone to take personality tests?

It's supposed to be so we can get better at communicating and working with each other. Some examples paraphrased from the DiSC assessment:
Person A seeks consensus among the group. Before he will commit to a decision, you have to show him how this satisfies all parties.
Person B wants to make sure that everything is considered before moving forward. Regardless of what everyone else has said, he will need time to think through it himself.
Person C wants to make a decision now and get working on it as fast as possible.

When I take these tests, I'm just happy that they say I have a personality. :p

I did some searching because I just remember it as a 4 quadrant test. But it was the DISC test that we did at work 20 years ago. The only people in the lower left quadrant were me and an electrical engineer who I am very sure is aspie.

I did some searching because I just remember it as a 4 quadrant test. But it was the DISC test that we did at work 20 years ago. The only people in the lower left quadrant were me and an electrical engineer who I am very sure is aspie.

That's me. 100% lower left quadrant, all the way to the edge of the disc.

You know you're autistic if...

A meeting ends early, and you're frustrated because you're only halfway done surreptitiously peeling the sticker from the bottom of your conference room chair.

When you very carefully consider each post to decide whether you LIKE or AGREE with it, or whether it's a WINNER or FRIENDLY. I do like having options, though, because just having a LIKE option is not very specific.

I rather tend to take on behaviours or specific spoken phrases from people I see (be it in real life or a TV show, for example) while reading tends to influence my writing style rather than my speech and behaviour.

In middle and high school, I adopted complete personalities from whomever I deemed my best friend. I changed the way I dressed and talked. :oops:

On the bright side, when students made fun of my hick accent in middle school after we moved, I was able to imitate their accents and change the way I talked over a short period. And I was always pigeon-toed before middle school when my best friend walked with her feet pointing out instead of in. I was never able to fully imitate her walk, but trying to corrected my own gait! :tearsofjoy:

In middle and high school, I adopted complete personalities from whomever I deemed my best friend. I changed the way I dressed and talked. :oops:

On the bright side, when students made fun of my hick accent in middle school after we moved, I was able to imitate their accents and change the way I talked over a short period.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who did/does this.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who did/does this.

Out of everything I've read, and all the ways that I can see that I'm autistic, this is actually the one that freaks me out the most because it's like for a long period of years, I didn't actually know who I was. And I can see that I've done the same thing, to a lesser extent, with people I've known as an adult.

And there was always a core there--the stubborn, pain in the ass part, my husband would probably say :p--which never changed. But still. Part of it's intentional--I like that style of dress, so I'm going to adopt it, or I like the way the words sound in that accent, so I'm going to play with it. But other times, I don't actually notice I'm doing it.

Also, I did the DiSC test for fun. I'm a C/S--mostly down in the lower left quadrant, but I have some lower right quadrant tendencies as well.

I used to mimic people a lot too, when I was a child. When I got a little older and stopped doing it so much, i thought I was weird for doing it. But I just did it sometimes without knowing I was even doing it.

I mentioned on the thread about numbers that I liked to step exactly where the person in front of me stepped just a moment before. And that made me think of how much I mimicked others. I exhibited echolalia for a while, from the age of 4 or 5. I would repeat the last sentence of what someone said, in the same tone and accent. Sometimes I'd just repeat the last few words of the last sentence. Sometimes I'd even repeat the last sentence or last few words of what I had just said! So I sounded like a parrot.

I still mimic others once in a while on the rare occasion I socialize. And when I catch myself I get embarrassed and hope no one notices me doing it. I really don't know why I do it. It just happens! Like if I'm able to partake in a convo with a couple of co-workers, I might catch myself starting to laugh like one of them. And then in my head I'm like "WTF am I doing?!" Once it starts, it's actually really hard to stop. I have to make a very strong effort to do so.

l love being my authentic self, and l have no reason why........ except that, wait, it's coming to me, wait... l love me. l accept me, THEREFORE, l exist, yay me

When they do a personality assessment at work and your coworkers speculate about what type you are.

It happened to me twice this year.

Our group at work did the DiSC assessment earlier this year. When I showed up to the "show everyone your results" meeting, I was told everyone was trying to guess mine.

Now another group close to us is doing the Meyers-Briggs assessment, and someone IM'ed me saying they were trying to guess which type I am.

I guess that my personality stands out in their minds as something unique. I don't know if that's good or bad.
I've taken the Meyers-Briggs assessment myself and I've found it to be a useful tool in my social interactions for modeling my expectations with people I know well.
In case you're wondering I got INTJ - the so called mastermind - yes I'm an evil overlord and yes the rules of being an evil overlord help as do Murphies' Combat laws.
seriously though most people won't assimilate the information in these sort of systems well enough to change much in your life, They see it more as a self improvement opportunity, meaning they will look at their own profile and ignore most of the others.
And then forget most of it within 2 weeks or so.

When you catch something out of the corner of your eye and you briefly think that Costco is selling Aspergers.

IMG_20190427_120424.jpg

When people are actively coming out of the closet to disclose some secret, but you spend your time trying to get into the closet, like literally, and close the doors.

You have a collection of fidget toys.
And you didn't even think that they were fidget toys until someone mentioned they were. You purchased them mainly for their "uniqueness". Like a rubbery toy whale whose clear body is filled with gel beads, you don't get much more unique than that.:smirk:

My wife kind of knows I am "special"... She sometimes says "you are being Sheldon (Cooper from the Big Bang)" – this is her way to say that I am not playing with "normal" rules. She doesnt mean that I should behave like NT's, but she just says that I might have to accept that my point of view is not the one majority holds. I dont know if this is a good or bad thing, but it kind of teaches my internal algorithm to understand what is normal.. Which I quite often know already on some level but refuse to understand it.

You know you are if you have to think about how you react to things, like was that a normal reaction, or did l swing into meltdown without informing the Secret Aspie police, that today l had no shame, fire the emotional torpedos, let them land wherever in NT land.

New Threads

Top Bottom