• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

autism-and-autotune

A musical mind with recent revelations
Later on today I will be disclosing my autism to my employer and requesting accommodations. I'll update once I process everything; currently I am preparing myself and going over what I have to say. Fingers crossed!!

Also keen to hear & good luck!!

May need to disclose my AS to my current employer but not asking for any accommodations (a small disorganised company will not be able to comprehend any).

1681311105890.jpeg

Yes! Good luck.
Above all, don't forget to point out the benefits of being autistic.

Dedicated
Focused
Logical thinking
Hard working
Honest - if not brutally honest
Enthusiastic
Caring
Attention to Detail
Visual perception
Creative
Thinking outside of the box
Strong ingenuity
Strong technical mentality
Inventiveness

There is plenty more; this is the just the short list...

Good morning, everyone! Thanks for all the kind thoughts and well wishes--I'm here to share my progress!

In the end, I had to speak with both managers, who were very understanding. My front manager noticed that I don't really talk to people but had no issues or concerns to address. With both of them, I told the same story--previously diagnosed with NVLD, then in 2022 autism; didn't disclose due to fear of not being hired, and here I am, requesting accommodations like a selective mutism pin. "Talking is hard sometimes and it just costs me too much energy."

My manager was curious and asked how I managed while I was at other locations prior to my diagnosis. I shrugged. "Some days were better than others, and I couldn't hide my issues because I didn't know what was going on." I understand the intent from the question, but they could see the gap in my resume which hopefully now makes sense.

"My hope with getting a pin is that it makes things easier for everyone," I explained to both of them (one at a time). "I know that talking equals being friendly in customer service and sometimes I just cannot talk, so I worry that customers may see it as being rude." My fiance and I at supper that evening would have a long discussion on why talking is seen as friendly? People spout all kinds of things at the register, and it seems that most folks use us cashiers as soundboards.

I digress. They were both understanding of the points I made. "It's not that my intent is to be rude. Hopefully something visual will lend some understanding." Many many scenarios have been playing out in my head meanwhile; customers harassing me or trying to pushing my buttons (so to speak) or asking me why bother working a job that requires talking if I cannot talk? Ugh. I need the money.

Long story short--I have more paperwork to complete, and my counselor with the state will fill them in further should they have questions. When expressing my fears of not being hired to the store manager, she said not to worry, and that they hire folks with all kinds of...well, 'things' going on, was how she put it--but I feel this is the company covering its backside.

It's good to nip this all in the bud as I still have yet to experience register training--this may be a whole different mountain to climb.

Thank you all for reading, and for your support and encouragement! Sorry if this has been a massive wall of text.

This is great news! Well done with your courage to tackle this, and all your preparation going into it. I’m really happy that this conversation was received well and that this appears to be a supportive working environment for you.

This is great news! Well done with your courage to tackle this, and all your preparation going into it. I’m really happy that this conversation was received well and that this appears to be a supportive working environment for you.
Thank you!It feels very vulnerable to reveal my disability, but also relieving at the same time. I'm hoping that things continue to be pleasant from here on out!

Yes! Good luck.
Above all, don't forget to point out the benefits of being autistic.

Dedicated
Focused
Logical thinking
Hard working
Honest - if not brutally honest
Enthusiastic
Caring
Attention to Detail
Visual perception
Creative
Thinking outside of the box
Strong ingenuity
Strong technical mentality
Inventiveness

There is plenty more; this is the just the short list...
I like what you wrote a lot--sorry for not responding earlier. I...I'm trying to see myself in all of those aspects--or rather, see them in me. Thank you for writing it :)

I like what you wrote a lot--sorry for not responding earlier. I...I'm trying to see myself in all of those aspects--or rather, see them in me. Thank you for writing it :)
Congratulations on your meeting with the managers!!

I just realized that I left out a very important item to the list: Innovation.
Another word that I feel is important is: Obsession. Obsession can be a very powerful benefit, but you have to be careful as it is too often misunderstood.

My autism has elements that are quite crippling. I am completely incapable of working any position that involves interfacing with the public, or people I don't know. Even people I do know is extremely stressful.

Early in life, I felt that my dream career goal was hopeless due to these crippling issues. My dream career was to be an electronics design engineer. I was obsessed with that desire. But, due to my crippling social anxiety, college was impossible, thus any degree was not possible.

But, due to my obsession of electronic design I studied physics and electronics obsessively (on my own). I would get jobs as a technician replacing parts, etc.

Finally, I got a job at a contract design firm as a technician building prototypes for the engineers under their instruction. I was obsessed with studying the designs and, due to my very poor social skills, I pointed out design flaws to the engineers. Initially, they were offended placing my job on thin ice, but then they started to see I was correct. This continued and the engineers started coming to me with engineering and physics questions. Then the boss gave me a design project and was impressed with my "innovations". I got more design projects and eventually, I was promoted to senior design engineer (still with no degree).

This just proves that even with crippling autistic difficulties, with some obsessive innovation and a few other autistic benefits, you can achieve your hearts desires.

A few examples of people who have gone far due to their autistic benefits:
Albert Einstein
Nikola Tesla
Elon Musk
Steve Jobs
Dan Aykroyd
Lewis Carroll
Charles Darwin
Bill Gates
Daryl Hannah
Thomas Jefferson
Michelangelo
Amadeus Mozart
Sir Isaac Newton
Barbara McClintock (Very short list...)

Be proud that you are now a member of this list!!

I know, you are just stating out, but you have a very strong start and even if there are times when it doesn't look like it, your success is inevitable.

Congratulations on your meeting with the managers!!

I just realized that I left out a very important item to the list: Innovation.
Another word that I feel is important is: Obsession. Obsession can be a very powerful benefit, but you have to be careful as it is too often misunderstood.

My autism has elements that are quite crippling. I am completely incapable of working any position that involves interfacing with the public, or people I don't know. Even people I do know is extremely stressful.

Early in life, I felt that my dream career goal was hopeless due to these crippling issues. My dream career was to be an electronics design engineer. I was obsessed with that desire. But, due to my crippling social anxiety, college was impossible, thus any degree was not possible.

But, due to my obsession of electronic design I studied physics and electronics obsessively (on my own). I would get jobs as a technician replacing parts, etc.

Finally, I got a job at a contract design firm as a technician building prototypes for the engineers under their instruction. I was obsessed with studying the designs and, due to my very poor social skills, I pointed out design flaws to the engineers. Initially, they were offended placing my job on thin ice, but then they started to see I was correct. This continued and the engineers started coming to me with engineering and physics questions. Then the boss gave me a design project and was impressed with my "innovations". I got more design projects and eventually, I was promoted to senior design engineer (still with no degree).

This just proves that even with crippling autistic difficulties, with some obsessive innovation and a few other autistic benefits, you can achieve your hearts desires.

A few examples of people who have gone far due to their autistic benefits:
Albert Einstein
Nikola Tesla
Elon Musk
Steve Jobs
Dan Aykroyd
Lewis Carroll
Charles Darwin
Bill Gates
Daryl Hannah
Thomas Jefferson
Michelangelo
Amadeus Mozart
Sir Isaac Newton
Barbara McClintock (Very short list...)

Be proud that you are now a member of this list!!

I know, you are just starting out, but you have a very strong start and even if there are times when it doesn't look like it, your success is inevitable.
Thank you, again :)

Innovation and obsession completely describe my life, especially regarding my musical interests. With Bach and the Baroque music...well, let's just say that college wasn't the happiest time.

Interesting that you are describing parts of your autism as being crippling--it's not til I'm reading your words that I am resonating with the description. I think it's something that is..pushed under the rug; parts of our autism can be crippling--as much as parts of our autism can be a massive asset.I can relate to your struggles with people a lot.

Wow--I'm so happy for you! Your story is very impressive, and something you should be proud of--I'm glad it worked out for you :)

Thanks too for sharing that list of folks who also have autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom