• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Windows 11 Zero-Tolerance On Incoming .EXE Files ?

Judge

V.I.P Member
Wow...this really would put the kabosh on what I love to do. Customizing a graphic user interface (GUI) using third-party software.

But according to this presentation, Microsoft's antivirus/anti-malware programming will stop any incoming .EXE file. Apparently a "greatest good for the greatest number" of users who so eagerly download everything imaginable. Understandable, but seriously- is this the best they can do? Kind of like having a parent who has only one in their vocabulary- "NO!"

Apparently it's so pedantic that it can potentially block its own executable files native to Windows!

Worst of all it makes me wonder what would happen in trying to launch an executable to install a 26-year old version of Photoshop?

Last edited:
Is this the same thing: You should stop using customization apps on Windows 11 – here's why. - Pureinfotech

or Microsoft blocks even more customization apps in Windows 11 version 24H2

I went looking this up via the ol wobbly Google search that never seems to like me and I cant find all that much about it (what I expected to find was lots of screaming on Reddit, specifically). But I did spot those.

None of this really sounds like "stops literally all EXE files incoming". That wouldnt make any sense from any point of view.

Did I miss something here?

Apparently a "greatest good for the greatest number" of users who so eagerly download everything imaginable.

To be fair, there really are just so many people who do that... after decades of having to fix the bloody machines owned by everyone around me because they clearly dont understand what they're doing, yeah, I could see why someone at MS might want to tighten things up in terms of security.

It's just an extension of Greedysoft's enhanced money grubbing. Like making you rent their software instead of buying it. By blocking incoming .exe files, they are forcing you to buy all software through them. Just one more reason to move to linux. Windows 8 pretty much doubled the linux population. Looks like Windows 11 will create a lot of new linux users.

None of this really sounds like "stops literally all EXE files incoming". That wouldnt make any sense from any point of view.

Did you actually watch the entire presentation? It was pretty ugly watching the OS operate like a hockey goalie, keeping even outright, well-known software like Sophos products from being executed. The point is third-party developers will have to be formally approved by Microsoft, otherwise they will just be filtered out, neutralizing the executables.

Ultimately it will just all depend on what people want, versus what they can download. But it looks grim.

No deviations or customization, or feature enhancement other than that which Microsoft officially approves. I suppose this will probably kill third-party apps like Classic Shell/Open Shell now. Wonderful, harmless apps designed to customize Windows far beyond the stodginess of Microsoft. I used them in both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

One thing for sure if you can't successfully download freeware, it ain't free any more.

So glad to have Linux as a much better, more secure alternative that welcomes customization. :cool:

Last edited:
Honestly speaking seeing as all of these issues are happening in the preview version of Windows 11 version 24H2 that is currently being tested, I'd wait for the final release before people seriously start panicking over this (but people will still panic and freak out regardless because that's just how the internet works these days tbh.)

Honestly speaking seeing as all of these issues are happening in the preview version of Windows 11 version 24H2 that is currently being tested, I'd wait for the final release before people seriously start panicking over this (but people will still panic and freak out regardless because that's just how the internet works these days tbh.)

No need to panic. Just pay Microsoft to continue $upport for Windows 10.

Did you actually watch the entire presentation? It was pretty ugly watching the OS operate like a hockey goalie, keeping even outright, well-known software like Sophos products from being executed. The point is third-party developers will have to be formally approved by Microsoft, otherwise they will just be filtered out, neutralizing the executables.

Ultimately it will just all depend on what people want, versus what they can download. But it looks grim.

No deviations or customization, or feature enhancement other than that which Microsoft officially approves. I suppose this will probably kill third-party apps like Classic Shell/Open Shell now. Wonderful, harmless apps designed to customize Windows far beyond the stodginess of Microsoft. I used them in both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

One thing for sure if you can't successfully download freeware, it ain't free any more.

So glad to have Linux as a much better, more secure alternative that welcomes customization. :cool:

Yes, I did watch the whole video, though I found it... wobbly, at best (a lot of red flags for me in there).

But what I'm very specifically getting at is this line:

But according to this presentation, Microsoft's antivirus/anti-malware programming will stop any incoming .EXE file.

That would mean a lot more than just customization apps/utilities, that would mean EVERYTHING, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at. Utilities, games, art apps, design apps, programming apps/utilities, projects that a user is working on (on their own time, involving nobody else), projects that GROUPS are working on, where files need to be updated/transferred among the group (which is something I've had to do before myself, that was A LOT of exe files bouncing back and forth as we all kept working on it, that would no longer work here), heck, freaking Git, for that matter. Steam, Itch, Epic, all of those vendors also come to mind, they'd totally collapse because they're entirely ABOUT people buying/downloading things that are designed by a zillion different people/groups (and the enormous companies behind those vendors would not exactly take that one sitting down). Also things that need to be updated, as many apps pull down new exe files just during the update process.

I can absolutely believe that MS or whoever would restrict like, apps that affect a very specific part of the OS (like a part that customization apps, specifically, need to do). There's a LOT of reason why that, specifically, does make sense (and I can see both good AND bad there), and I can understand frustration that users of that specific type of function might have (even though I dont use that sort of thing myself, I'm too lazy to customize anything like that).

But restricting literally all exe files, of ALL types, so they cant download/act at all? Ye gods, no. I dont believe that for a second, video or no video.

There's more I could say here, but I'm seriously out of time.

But restricting literally all exe files, of ALL types, so they cant download/act at all? Ye gods, no. I dont believe that for a second, video or no video.

LOL...of course not.

"Zero Tolerance" with respect to whatever applications may not meet whatever Microsoft's vetting process may amount to. My point being that could amount to a great many applications that presently have no malicious properties. And there is no telling the scope of executables they intend to restrict. Especially if the process involves yet another aspect of "pay to play" for developers.

Though it does appear that if they go through with this, that it's most likely that any application that attempts to alter the look and/or functionality of Windows 11 itself, will likely have its .exe file neutralized in some fashion. Tragic, in my opinion given how much I have depended on such third-party applications to make up for what Microsoft failed to achieve. Over the years I had come to depend on applications such as Glary Utilities 5 to not only keep the operating system running optimally, but also to limit the intrusiveness of Microsoft on its users. And wondering what it might take for them to be accepted by Microsoft if at all. (Glary Utilities 5 is what "C Cleaner" should have been, along with other such competitors.)

Admittedly some of such programs are considered outright "PUAs". (Possibly unwanted applications). Programs that were intended to be helpful to maintain Windows, but which have in some cases brought the entire OS down. I could see Microsoft wanting to contain such programs, but with their heavy corporate hand they may wipe all of them out, with no suitable replacement should they filter out their .exe files.

Last edited:
I know I probably shouldn't, but I feel smug.

Yep. Every time we Linux users boot up our computers and have no such issues. :cool:

I'm still laughing over Microsoft offering a "free download" of their Windows 11 .iso file, while requiring you to use their proprietary "media creation tool" to burn it to a flash drive. The catch being that apparently to use this "tool", you have to run it all on Windows 11 to begin with. That if you can't automatically upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11, they simply expect you to shell out $140 for a bootable flash drive or DVD.

How very "Microsoft" of them. :rolleyes:

Ironic considering how easy- and at no cost it is to download and create a bootable Linux OS flash drive. That one can use the program of their choice on whatever operating system they have to create such a bootable device.

Last edited:
I've had this problem. IIRC I had to click on the download notification and expand something seemingly unrelated, then prompt it to continue, then tell it yes I was sure.

-

I wrote more but lost it when one of the bazillion ads on here hijacked the window with several popups saying my computer was breached and my data was being downloaded and stolen. Uhg.

Here's precisely the sort of applications that may be in danger over the possibility of .exe files being so scrutinized. The sort of application I've used since Windows XP that in some cases can dramatically change the look- and feel of a present Windows version. But will Microsoft suddenly declare such apps to be "possibly unwanted applications" just over security concerns ?

It's no secret that Windows 11 has had its customization possibilities drastically cut back.

I used Open Shell to significantly alter the menu system of Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Last edited:
I used open shell when I was still actively using Windows. I hated them forcing a new look on my computers.

I'm starting to see rebuttals of BriteC's criticisms regarding the next Windows 11 updates may treat third-party .exe files. I wanted to post Gilles Letourneau's (Windows, computers & technology) comments, but haven't been able to relocate them. He can be pretty hard on Microsoft, but he claimed in this instance that the issue is being blown out of proportion.

I thought I saw another rebuttal from Microsoft, but I'm really not interested in their response relative only to public relations. Personally I would consider a program like Open Shell or Classic Shell to be definite "benchmarks" of whether or not Microsoft will be heavy-handed in allowing or killing their .exe files. Programs that customize the GUI without actually altering its functionality.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom