• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why would this psychologist say this to me?

dancerxoxo123

I was on the phone with a psychologist to try to get re evaluated for autism and she said your symptoms could be another condition like bipolar or something else. My symptoms of autism is not understanding sarcasm, communication difficulties, and short term memory issues. Keep in mind I was diagnosed with high functioning autism at 3. I was most likely not misdiagnosed with autism right? Are these symptoms I am describing more associated with autism rather than bipolar and other conditions and why would she say something like, you are probably not autistic, those symptoms could overlap with bipolar or another condition. She said you could be bipolar or another condition. Is she wrong for saying this or is she probably right?

Sounds like autism except maybe the memory bit? I'm not really that highly knowledgeable

I have bad memory and I'm not bipolar

Whatever it is it's just a label and won't change your symptoms

Maybe she wants to fit you in a box she knows how to deal with. Alot of them have zero experience. Just ask her if she has ever dx autism?

not understanding sarcasm, communication difficulties, and short term memory issues
Are these the only symptoms you discussed? Was this your first conversation with this psychologist?

Part of the diagnostic process is to rule out other conditions that can better describe your symptoms. Many different symptoms overlap between mental health conditions and it takes time and sharing detailed information for a mental health professional to understand what you are experiencing.

Bipolar disorder has an extensive list of symptoms. Here are some of them:

Mania and hypomania​

Mania and hypomania are two distinct types of episodes, but they have the same symptoms. Mania is more severe than hypomania and causes more noticeable problems at work, school and social activities, as well as relationship difficulties. Mania may also trigger a break from reality (psychosis) and require hospitalization.

Both a manic and a hypomanic episode include three or more of these symptoms:
  • Abnormally upbeat, jumpy or wired
  • Increased activity, energy or agitation
  • Exaggerated sense of well-being and self-confidence (euphoria)
  • Decreased need for sleep
  • Unusual talkativeness
  • Racing thoughts
  • Distractibility
  • Poor decision-making — for example, going on buying sprees, taking sexual risks or making foolish investments

Major depressive episode​

A major depressive episode includes symptoms that are severe enough to cause noticeable difficulty in day-to-day activities, such as work, school, social activities or relationships. An episode includes five or more of these symptoms:
  • Depressed mood, such as feeling sad, empty, hopeless or tearful (in children and teens, depressed mood can appear as irritability)
  • Marked loss of interest or feeling no pleasure in all — or almost all — activities
  • Significant weight loss when not dieting, weight gain, or decrease or increase in appetite (in children, failure to gain weight as expected can be a sign of depression)
  • Either insomnia or sleeping too much
  • Either restlessness or slowed behavior
  • Fatigue or loss of energy
  • Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt
  • Decreased ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness
  • Thinking about, planning or attempting suicide

Other features of bipolar disorder​

Signs and symptoms of bipolar I and bipolar II disorders may include other features, such as anxious distress, melancholy, psychosis or others. The timing of symptoms may include diagnostic labels such as mixed or rapid cycling. In addition, bipolar symptoms may occur during pregnancy or change with the seasons.

Source: Bipolar disorder - Symptoms and causes

They say a lot things. I was once told I could have psychosis and then next session she totally denied it
I don't think a psychologist is able to diagnose anybody

Last edited:
Are these the only symptoms you discussed? Was this your first conversation with this psychologist?

Part of the diagnostic process is to rule out other conditions that can better describe your symptoms. Many different symptoms overlap between mental health conditions and it takes time and sharing detailed information for a mental health professional to understand what you are experiencing.

Bipolar disorder has an extensive list of symptoms. Here are some of them:

Source: Bipolar disorder - Symptoms and causes
I didn't tell her any other symptoms I have experienced but is the symptoms I am describing more associated with autism rather than bipolar?

I didn't tell her any other symptoms I have experienced but is the symptoms I am describing more associated with autism rather than bipolar?
I don't think any of us have enough information to give you that answer. If you look at the list of bipolar symptoms I shared above, you will notice what you described is very different. There is something missing here for "not understanding sarcasm, communication difficulties, and short term memory issues" to lead to a consideration of bipolar disorder. Your best way to figure this out is to ask the psychologist with whom you spoke.

I'd put worrying aside until your able to talk to the psychologist, you're still you at the end of the day nothing has changed

You can go to another person perhaps. Psychiatrist prescribe medication. Psychologist can't prescribe. You can also ask why they think you present with bipolar diagnosis. That might help you to determine if you are comfortable with their ability to diagnosis. Right now there are shortages of mental health staff. Less and less are chosing the medical field as an employment choice.

Wow, I'm a little bit worried by the reactions in this post.

OP, the answer to your question is that, other conditions may have such symptoms.

In your post you present the discussion with the psychologist three different ways. My advice depends on which is the most accurate. If the psychologist scoffed at you after 1 minute on the phone and said "I doubt you have autism, it's probably something else" then you need to go elsewhere.

But if they said "without having a proper review of your symptoms and how you experience those, it's not possible to tell if it's autism or something else, for example bi-polar. I may be autism, but it might not be" then they are acting appropriately.

You shouldn't be expecting an answer from a brief phone call. If you're getting something which sounds like they've made up their mind, that's not good, regardless of what they say.

And to everyone else, I think we should take care on declare what is or is not autism. The plain truth is we just can't know without a thorough study by someone trained in recognising the disability.

I was on the phone with a psychologist to try to get re evaluated for autism and she said your symptoms could be another condition like bipolar or something else. . . . She said you could be bipolar or another condition. Is she wrong for saying this or is she probably right?
She is not wrong for saying this. Some symptoms for ASD are also symptoms for Bipolar Disorder . . . and PTSD . . . and schizophrenia . . . and . . .

I was on the phone with a psychologist to try to get re evaluated for autism and she said your symptoms could be another condition like bipolar or something else. My symptoms of autism is not understanding sarcasm, communication difficulties, and short term memory issues. Keep in mind I was diagnosed with high functioning autism at 3. I was most likely not misdiagnosed with autism right? Are these symptoms I am describing more associated with autism rather than bipolar and other conditions and why would she say something like, you are probably not autistic, those symptoms could overlap with bipolar or another condition. She said you could be bipolar or another condition. Is she wrong for saying this or is she probably right?
It's hard to tell from your descriptions what the psychologist meant or whether what you describe is autism or something else.

Not understanding sarcasm is not associated with bipolar. Communication difficulties could be. Short-term memory issues could be, but that's too broad. Short-term memory issues are not necessarily indicative of autism either. Communication issues could be, but you'd need to be more specific because there are many communication problems.

Perhaps what the psychologist meant is that you should be evaluated to rule out other things and rule in autism.

If you were diagnosed with autism at 3, it would help if you have documentation or can ask your parents or another person you know who remembers the details.

In any case, any person you contact will want to conduct an assessment to consider your history and symptoms, and most psychologist will do a complete evaluation. You do want to rule other diagnoses. Many things have overlapping symptoms or symptoms that require careful description because they can be confused.

Most conditions can overlap with another.
I think I have bipolar because I get a lot of the Mania and sometimes depressive symptoms.
Increased pressure to talk is one of the mania symptoms.
It can go with adhd too
So if I doctor says something you disagree with, keep pushing if you can until you get proper answers.
Maybe you should do personal research of bipolar

Do a some research @lovely_darlingprettybaby

Mania is not just talking too much. It comes with excess energy, sometimes grandiosity, elevated mood, and excess interest on something that is not entirely rational to others. Then there is hypomania, which is a less extreme form of mania.

Hypomania can be confused with hyperfocus and extreme interest on something, but that usually doesn't come with feelings of grandiosity and elevated moods.

It's better to talk to a person that is knowledgeable and have experience with different diagnoses

New Threads

Top Bottom