• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who into listening to video game music?

Me I'm a person like listening to video game music from my childhood from the 80's and 90's. I wonder if there anyone else out there likes to listen to video game music? There is tons of it on YouTube
I really like listening to video game music on YouTube a lot, especially Sonic and Pokemon! Most people can agree that the majority of the Sonic the Hedgehog games host some of the best music in the series, such as "Open Your Heart," "Live & Learn," "What I'm Made Of," "Knight of the Wind," and "Reach for the Stars." My personal favorite song is "Sonic Speed Riders" which is the main theme of Sonic Riders.

I really like listening to video game music on YouTube a lot, especially Sonic and Pokemon! Most people can agree that the majority of the Sonic the Hedgehog games host some of the best music in the series, such as "Open Your Heart," "Live & Learn," "What I'm Made Of," "Knight of the Wind," and "Reach for the Stars." My personal favorite song is "Sonic Speed Riders" which is the main theme of Sonic Riders.
I really like the soundtrack to Sonic Colours, especially the unusual blend of retro surf guitar and modern electronic instruments from the tropical resort levels :)

I was more into the music for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive for Sonic. Music I like for a whole for video games is older consoles that didn't use CD audio, MP3's and etc. The reason for this, with older consoles they needed to be creative on what the sound chip can do.

OK but is this music used for any video game?
ATV Offroad Fury (playstation 2)
But I think maybe you mean music made specifically for a game, and therefore that one wouldn't count as it was just featured in a game.

ATV Offroad Fury (playstation 2)
But I think maybe you mean music made specifically for a game, and therefore that one wouldn't count as it was just featured in a game.
Just wanted to know the game but thanks for referencing it.

I was more into the music for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive for Sonic. Music I like for a whole for video games is older consoles that didn't use CD audio, MP3's and etc. The reason for this, with older consoles they needed to be creative on what the sound chip can do.
I generally like the music for older games better too and for much the same reasons. It's interesting to hear how the composers worked around the limitations of the system and in lots of cases managed to make something special that they would never have done if they weren't working with those limitations.

The Genesis/Megadrive had a pretty unique FM synth built into it. I'm actually quite tempted to try and make myself a keyboard instrument out of the sound components.

I generally like the music for older games better too and for much the same reasons. It's interesting to hear how the composers worked around the limitations of the system and in lots of cases managed to make something special that they would never have done if they weren't working with those limitations.

The Genesis/Megadrive had a pretty unique FM synth built into it. I'm actually quite tempted to try and make myself a keyboard instrument out of the sound components.
The Genesis did had a good sound chip.

Something I learned about the Sega Master System, you can add an FM chip to improve the sound. I would to add this one day.

Last edited:
I find it amazing how sophisticated much video game music has become, and that it is fittingly recorded by some very well-renowned orchestras (and even performed in concerts). That said, for me, it's like film music: I find I appreciate it much more in the context of the game itself, and find it hard to listen to on its own. However, just as a great many people are into film music(including former colleagues), I can understand the fascination with video game music.

I really like the soundtrack to Sonic Colours, especially the unusual blend of retro surf guitar and modern electronic instruments from the tropical resort levels :)
Yeah, my favorite music track from that game is Act 1 from Aquarium Park. THAT SONG IS SO BEAUTIFUL!

It's a rare day for me when I don't have a song from a video game stuck in my head. I listen to video game music mostly when I play Minecraft.
The video games I listen to music from the most are:
Pokemon LeafGreen and FireRed
Lunar Legend
Super Smash Bros Melee
Final Fantasy (1-6)
Golden Sun (first one and Lost Age)
Cave Story
Ape Escape 3
Monster Tale
Chrono Trigger

I could go on and on with this list, so I think I will stop here.

It's a rare day for me when I don't have a song from a video game stuck in my head. I listen to video game music mostly when I play Minecraft.
The video games I listen to music from the most are:
Pokemon LeafGreen and FireRed
Lunar Legend
Super Smash Bros Melee
Final Fantasy (1-6)
Golden Sun (first one and Lost Age)
Cave Story
Ape Escape 3
Monster Tale
Chrono Trigger

I could go on and on with this list, so I think I will stop here.
You made a very good list.

Oh my, YES!
In fact right now I am listening to the first Phantasy Star Soundtrack.
I'm new to this site and this post made me feel straight at home :relieved:

I've been into gaming my entire life, So I have a lot of favorites. My absolute ones are:

The Final fantasy Series
Commodore 64 music like Monty on the run, Zoids, Bubble Bobble, Giana Sisters, R-type ect.
Ultima Underworld I & II
The Heroes of Might and Magic series (especially the older ones)
Basically any RPG on the SNES

I love the old formats from the 80's and midi from the 90's Such beautiful sounds.

New Threads

Top Bottom