• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which ASD traits do you not have?

29/50

I can work out a character's intentions. I can't remember numbers or dates. I have a strong understanding of fiction. I understand metaphors probably better than anything else. Everything else is pretty much accurate for me. I'm very high-functioning but that has its own set of challenges. I can read people quite well on a conscious level but if I'm exhausted or overwhelmed, I automatically lose that ability. I think personality has a lot to do with it and it's all on an individual basis. Every case is unique.

I score 39/50 on the AQ test.
My most un-asd traits are eye contact and humour, which I learned about very young for survival reasons; you are much less an appealing victim if you can look 'em in the eye.

Yeah looking people in the eye is important. I employed this most recently when I met my big boss for the first time, the only problem was he kept looking out of the window, I can remember thinking to myself 'I'm doing it right why the hell aren't you?'.

Well I always had problems looking people in the eye,I have strong interests and get attached to them,I get startled by loud noises,I'm hypersensitive and I'm very shy but if you get me going on a special interest I won't shut up about it. Also get the anxiety aswell which can make life difficult at times.but I don't have empathy problems though sometimes I think my husband thinks I do,I love fiction,I'm not good with numbers,and while I don't like change I don't have a huge routine like my brother does,and while I do also struggle with sarcasm and sometimes take things too literally I still have got a sense of humour it's just the sarcastic jokes I miss sometimes.
Snap,
Your list is exactly as I would have put it.

I scored a 43/50 on the AQ last week when I took it again. I do not stim alot unless very stressed or in pain, but pretty much all else applies to me.

I'm 38/50, a couple of the ones I remember not checking are - do you find it difficult to work out characters intentions in books/movies....I can have some trouble, but in general it does not seem that difficult for me. Also, I'm pretty sure when it's my turn to speak, I just usually am not sure what to say, and I don't talk on the phone anyway.
I also don't plan too much.

The highest I've scored in 30 so judging from it I'm pretty mild. There's 20 things I haven't selected and I think that's things like being good with remembering phone numbers and being the last to get jokes. I don't think it's a pretty accurate test for me; it really only scratches the surface of the challenges someone might face.

I've seen a lot of thread discussing various symptoms of ASD. But as we all, know, ASD is a spectrum, and though we all share certain traits or symptoms, each person is different and will display a different combination of traits, to varying levels of severity; not all of us tick the same boxes. Take the AQ test, for example. Aspergers Adult AQ Test Quiz Online: Autism Spectrum Quotient Most of us will have taken this test at one point or another. My score was 41/50, which means that there are 9 boxes which I didn't tick. I think that there are very few people who take this test and actually tick all the boxes.

So, my question to those on the spectrum is, which boxes don't you tick, or which symptoms/traits don't you have? They don't have to be from the AQ test, but it is useful as a reference point. These are some traits I don't have:

I enjoy reading fiction (especially sci fi), and I can imagine scenes from the fiction that I read, though I do have difficulty working out the character's intentions.

I enjoy doing things spontaneously, as long as it isn't interrupting anything I'm already doing.

I don't have a fascination with numbers or dates, though I do notice patterns and certain things like number plates.

I'm not good at remembering phone numbers, unless they have a pattern in them. I'm lucky that my phone number has a pattern.

I don't talk a lot about my special interests to others, that is, unless someone asks me about them; I'm not a very talkative person. Instead, I withdraw into myself and think about them all the time when in company with others.

I don't mind different kinds of food touching each other, and I like food to be spicy and varied, not the same all the time.

Some people on the spectrum don't like travelling, novelty or changes to their routine. For me, sudden changes will upset me, but not changes which are known about and planned for in advance, such as holidays - I like going on holiday and travelling, though it feels strange at first and takes a while to adjust to a new environment. I get bored easily, I like learning new things, and sometimes I like to have new experiences - just not all the time :)
people say aspies are dumb but I don't have that trait as I'm extremely smart. I always have a vision that is way ahead of the time

37. About all the chit chat, boring people with monologues, others getting a word in edgewise, knowing when it is my turn to talk; for me I am very quiet, it takes me a long time to formulate sentences, have long pauses in my speech patterns, so I am generally talked over, interrupted, or not involved with conversations. There have been only a handful of people that I've been able to "connect" with, who have given me the space and patience to speak and interact in ways that allow me to really participate in conversation.

37. About all the chit chat, boring people with monologues, others getting a word in edgewise, knowing when it is my turn to talk; for me I am very quiet, it takes me a long time to formulate sentences, have long pauses in my speech patterns, so I am generally talked over, interrupted, or not involved with conversations. There have been only a handful of people that I've been able to "connect" with, who have given me the space and patience to speak and interact in ways that allow me to really participate in conversation.
same here

same here

Do you find that with the people you are comfortable with, who give you the time and space to speak, you find your speech patterns more fluent? I have noticed that. In fact, with some, I've been able to speak, ask and reply to questions, build on concepts quite clearly and concisely. It is rare, but it does happen.

Do you find that with the people you are comfortable with, who give you the time and space to speak, you find your speech patterns more fluent? I have noticed that. In fact, with some, I've been able to speak, ask and reply to questions, build on concepts quite clearly and concisely. It is rare, but it does happen.
most definitely. I find people who are patient easy to hang out. I like those people. There is just one kind of people I hate, brats. If you talk smack, you better back that up with some evidence and good marks

- I often enjoy social situations/activities.
- I don't talk a lot about my special interests.
- I'm not usually blunt.
- I understand jokes, sarcasm, and metaphors.
- I can usually tell when it would be considered socially inappropriate to say something.
- I don't speak in a monotone.
- I can express my feelings.
- Sometimes I like changes in routine.
- I'm interested in a wide variety of things.

-I can create pictures in my mind, especially when the pictures rely heavily on spacial relations.
-I like fiction (as well as non-fiction)...
-and because I've read enough fiction, I am familiar enough with narrative tropes that I can usually work out characters' intentions with a reasonable degree of competency.
-I get jokes (usually), but I am often in the uncomfortable situation where other people do not understand that I am joking. I also sometimes mistakenly assume that people are joking when they are not.
-I think I am a fine diplomat, because I do not usually tend to become irrational and I try to focus on solutions rather than blame.

New Threads

Top Bottom