• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where would you rather watch movies?

Where would you rather watch movies?

• Cinemas

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Home theater setup

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Phone/laptop/tablet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the film

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Standard TV setup

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Drive in theater

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Most of the time, I would rather watch movies on my home theater setup. I can pause when I need to use the restroom, and I don’t spend a small fortune on popcorn.

I’ve always loved watching stuff while exercising. It used to be a treadmill and bike. As my career got more stressful, I could not keep up with the exercise routine, I simply didn’t have any energy to spend on torturing myself. So we bought a house with an indoor pool to have a theater system. I can surf, watch, play games while swimming. It doesn’t “feel” like exercise, but heart trackers don’t lie.

I’ve never liked going to the theater. I feel like it’s too expensive and it’s a waste. It’s more comfortable to watch at home. I can wait till a new movie comes out on streaming services.

Most of the time, I would rather watch movies on my home theater setup. I can pause when I need to use the restroom, and I don’t spend a small fortune on popcorn.
I got a nice home theater myself! I don't have to worry about people ruining the big-screen experience!

Not necessarily movies specifically (Youtube videos for me) but I need to try to figure out how in the heck the projector works. So I can watch whatever it is on the giant screen in the back of the room.

I've got a perfect theater ambiance here, the previous owners of the house were like, REALLY into movies so this room was built to mimic a traditional theater... curtains (instead of a door) and deep red walls and everything. It's the perfect place to watch whatever... but I still dont know how the projector works.

A bit of a waste really, only watching stuff on this monitor instead (and it's not exactly a monitor anyone would consider to be anything special, particularly for a gaming PC). I just need to sit the heck down and go through the manual for the projector, and sorta hope that it's simpler than I think it's going to be. I've a feeling it's not going to be too easy to do.

But it's something I really should get started on... my father retired recently, and I figure he might want to watch stuff with me (and with my stepmother as well if she wants), it'd be nice if I could have the blasted thing functional for whatever it is he'd like to watch.

I voted for the drive-in, as I kinda miss them and there's a certain novelty value involved... These venues were just past their prime when I was a kid, though I was fortunate enough to have one in my area that stayed open for a few years after I got my driver's license. Truth be told, the picture quality was crap and the movies they played were leftovers that had premiered a couple years earlier. By this time, the sound was broadcast over a low power FM transmitter on a vacant frequency, so it was as good as the stereo in your car was. But it still was cool for some reason. Unlike the cinema, you could roll up your windows if people next to you were being obnoxious. Unfortunately, the screen got blown down during a particularly violent thunderstorm circa Y2K, and even though the place was still turning a small profit, the owners decided to call it quits. That was the last drive-in I've seen open, though I think there were a few in other places that lasted a few more years.

My next choice would be home theater, though I used to like going to a cinema once in awhile. I almost never watch movies alone, so I usually team up with at least one other person before pulling up a seat.:)

I'd rather watch movies at home because I can control the volume. When I go to the cinema or a movie theater, I cover my ears a lot because the sound is too LOUD for me.

I voted for the drive-in, as I kinda miss them and there's a certain novelty value involved... These venues were just past their prime when I was a kid, though I was fortunate enough to have one in my area that stayed open for a few years after I got my driver's license. Truth be told, the picture quality was crap and the movies they played were leftovers that had premiered a couple years earlier. By this time, the sound was broadcast over a low power FM transmitter on a vacant frequency, so it was as good as the stereo in your car was. But it still was cool for some reason. Unlike the cinema, you could roll up your windows if people next to you were being obnoxious. Unfortunately, the screen got blown down during a particularly violent thunderstorm circa Y2K, and even though the place was still turning a small profit, the owners decided to call it quits. That was the last drive-in I've seen open, though I think there were a few in other places that lasted a few more years.

My next choice would be home theater, though I used to like going to a cinema once in awhile. I almost never watch movies alone, so I usually team up with at least one other person before pulling up a seat.:)
The economics of drive-in theaters don't work anymore. Most of the ones that still exist in North America are supported foundations. They do invoke a certain nostalgia for many. :cool:

Not necessarily movies specifically (Youtube videos for me) but I need to try to figure out how in the heck the projector works. So I can watch whatever it is on the giant screen in the back of the room.

I've got a perfect theater ambiance here, the previous owners of the house were like, REALLY into movies so this room was built to mimic a traditional theater... curtains (instead of a door) and deep red walls and everything. It's the perfect place to watch whatever... but I still dont know how the projector works.

A bit of a waste really, only watching stuff on this monitor instead (and it's not exactly a monitor anyone would consider to be anything special, particularly for a gaming PC). I just need to sit the heck down and go through the manual for the projector, and sorta hope that it's simpler than I think it's going to be. I've a feeling it's not going to be too easy to do.

But it's something I really should get started on... my father retired recently, and I figure he might want to watch stuff with me (and with my stepmother as well if she wants), it'd be nice if I could have the blasted thing functional for whatever it is he'd like to watch.
Good projectors cost a fortune. Am I missing something here?

Why not simply get yourself a Roku device to watch any number of streaming media sources through a widescreen tv connected to all sorts of other devices?

When I used to use wireless in Windows I also used to "cast" whatever was on my computer, to my widescreen tv.

Good projectors cost a fortune. Am I missing something here?

Why not simply get yourself a Roku device to watch any number of streaming media sources through a widescreen tv connected to all sorts of other devices?

When I used to use wireless in Windows I also used to "cast" whatever was on my computer, to my widescreen tv.

I dunno, I usually have no idea how much things cost.

It's this thing:

20240407_121823.jpg

It hangs directly above where I'm sitting, and the screen it projects onto takes up most of the back wall of the room... I've never seen a TV as enormous as that screen is. Likely why the previous owners set it up this way, they *really* wanted an authentic theater experience. It all came with the house, when we got it (I've kept this room as it started out, because this is the best "sensory space" I've ever been in). It's a strange and elaborate house.

But using it is a whole topic in and of itself. The devices it connects to are in a whole separate room (the purpose of which is to control many of the gizmos on this floor) and I dont understand them. Let alone the projector itself. I'm good with computers and such, but the other types of machines in the house, mostly I dont understand how to use them or what they actually are.

The actual TV that everyone other than me uses is up on the main floor, which is... honestly I dont like being up there much. It's an enormous cavern, I dont do well in huge open indoor spaces. Not to mention that the TV up there is this incomprehensible mess... only my father actually knows how to use it (it's not just a TV, it's about 5 separate devices that operate together, all of which have separate remotes) and even he gets lost in the stupid thing sometimes. I tell ya, just because you CAN have 5 bazillion features in something, doesnt mean it's actually a good idea. I like my simple screen on my desk here. You turn it on and then it's on and that's it. But it only connects to the PC, nothing else.

I've never seen a Roku thing, I dont know what that is. Even if I did, if it were to be used in this room, it'd still have to go through the projector. My PC monitor is absolutely not the correct device for a great viewing experience.

At this point in my life I much prefer watching movies at home. With my runaway ADHD I'm totally free to pause as many times as I want/need to and get up to get or refill refreshments, go to the bathroom, etc. It's a beautiful thing.

I like both cinema and home, depending on the movie and circumstances.

I like the Alamo DraftHouse cinemas in my area because they enforce a rigid "Quiet Zone" requirement. There is considerable space between the seats and the audience must be quiet and non-disruptive. Even whispering is not allowed. Violators are ejected from the theater. Also, they do not run irritating commercials before the movie. Instead, they show old movie clips that pertain to the main feature. Usually, very funny ones. So, it's much easier to take and the screen is huge and audio quality is good. I also like it because it feels like an outing event that is not crowded and does not feed my anxiety.

I like movies at home because it is easy, solitary, controlled and anxiety free.

So, I like both.

I dunno, I usually have no idea how much things cost.

I've never seen a Roku thing, I dont know what that is. Even if I did, if it were to be used in this room, it'd still have to go through the projector. My PC monitor is absolutely not the correct device for a great viewing experience.

This is the one I use. Got it on sale for about $70, but you can get them even cheaper with less frills. I got this one to be able use exclusively through Ethernet rather than wireless. I watch about 70% of my television through Roku, especially YouTube. Hooks up to any tv set with an HDMI port.

If your projector interfaces with a laptop /desktop PC, it probably has an HDMI port as well. I never considered buying a projector given their cost. Though I do use a widescreen tv with a home theater system in my living room.

New Threads

Top Bottom